Useless sports logos trivia

Ark

21 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

Every Anaheim Ducks uniform since 1993 has used silver as an accent colour.

For the Mighty Ducks, it was in the striping and some detailing on the primary logo, or on dark uniforms, the triangle itself. For the Anaheim Ducks, it's used as an outline colour on basically all of their logos, except for the third jersey duck mask crest which again makes use of silver for detailing.

Are the Ducks going to make their alt their main jersey or are they sticking w/ the newer D logo? Both look sweet. I'm down to either the Ducks or Sharks as the team I'm gonna root for. Weird I never go local. But those are the teams that found me as the other told me to do, let the team find me, not me it. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Fresno St. Alum said:

Are the Ducks going to make their alt their main jersey or are they sticking w/ the newer D logo? Both look sweet. I'm down to either the Ducks or Sharks as the team I'm gonna root for. Weird I never go local. But those are the teams that found me as the other told me to do, let the team find me, not me it. 

Who knows when, or even if they'll make that change. Personally, I'd rather see the new alt promoted to primary. Even putting my preference of the Mighty Ducks logo aside, it's miles ahead of the swooshes and side panels of the regular uniforms. Having said that I don't even hate the current set, it's certainly preferable to the wordmark duds they had before.

Someone else has probably said already, but don't feel like you have to go with the local teams. This coming from someone whose favourite team is about the furthest away from where he lives. Go Ducks!

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

3 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

Who knows when, or even if they'll make that change. Personally, I'd rather see the new alt promoted to primary. Even putting my preference of the Mighty Ducks logo aside, it's miles ahead of the swooshes and side panels of the regular uniforms. Having said that I don't even hate the current set, it's certainly preferable to the wordmark duds they had before.

Someone else has probably said already, but don't feel like you have to go with the local teams. This coming from someone whose favourite team is about the furthest away from where he lives. Go Ducks!

Carlson23 told me to go local, then I said I never have w/ being a Packers owner, Braves fan, Celtics fan(haven't watched since 1993). I have Fresno St. as local though. lol. My 6 yr old says she's gonna like the Sharks and the 3 yr old the Red Wings no matter who I decide. 

In the terrible 1988 movie Mac and Me, there's football players in uniform in the dance scene at McDonald's (Yes, you heard right) and they seem to be wearing Washington Redskins uniforms, except one problem, they're wearing yellow pants which were last worn 10 years prior to this movie in 1978. I'm well aware this probably has nothing to do with the team, but it's really weird how close it looks, they even have the two stripe socks! It's not even the weirdest thing about the scene in general.

Note: This movie sucks. I'm sorry.

bSLCtu2.png

8 hours ago, Quillz said:

And one more Super Bowl fact: Cleveland is the only city that has neither hosted the Super Bowl nor sent its team to the Super Bowl. The other teams that have never appeared in the Super Bowl (Jaguars, Texans, Lions) have all hosted (or will host) the Super Bowl at least once.

Interesting thing I noticed about the three teams that have never been, but have hosted. They hosted three Super Bowls in a row: 38(Houston), 39(Jacksonville), and 40(Detroit).

The first Super Bowl to feature a team whose TV numbers on their jerseys were on the shoulders were the Pittsburgh Steelers, in Super Bowl IX (okay, they were situated halfway towards the sleeve and shoulder).

The Dallas Cowboys were the first team to have their TV numbers on the shoulders, appearing with the Steelers, in Super Bowl X; this was the first SB game w/both teams having their TV numbers on the shoulders.

UBwef0L.png

15 hours ago, Quillz said:

Speaking of the Panthers, their first Super Bowl appearance (against the Patriots) was the first time that both conference champions were named for regions, and not cities. Other combinations are possible, but haven't happened yet: Patriots-Cardinals, Patriots-Bucs, Titans-Cardinals, Titans-Bucs, Titans-Panthers.

Vikings-Patriots, Vikings-Titans, 

22 hours ago, hockey week said:

This is the 25th Super Bowl between a team with a “metallic” helmet shell finish and one with a non-metallic helmet shell. Teams with metallic helmets are 16-8 in these games, including the Broncos’ loss to the Seahawks in Super Bowl XLVII

Which of the Broncos/Seahawks helmets were metallic?... Thought the Broncos had gloss navy and Seahawks had matte navy

8 hours ago, ConcreteCharlie said:

Probably a quibble, but I don't know that I'd put the Vikings, Titans or Cardinals in the same category as the other three teams for this purpose since they are named for their states, which are actual geographic/government entities, as opposed to the Patriots, Panthers and Buccaneers, who are named for unofficial multi-state or multi-city regions.

7 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Which of the Broncos/Seahawks helmets were metallic?... Thought the Broncos had gloss navy and Seahawks had matte navy

Broncos.

]DENVER-BRONCOS-HELMET1.jpg

I just ordered an authentic one at the end of December as a BDay present for myself.... and that finish is absolutely beautiful. If it weren't for the finish, I would have already created it for myself years ago.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

2 hours ago, andycumbee19 said:

Broncos.

]DENVER-BRONCOS-HELMET1.jpg

I just ordered an authentic one at the end of December as a BDay present for myself.... and that finish is absolutely beautiful. If it weren't for the finish, I would have already created it for myself years ago.

goodness, that lighting has to be perfect to see the effect of that finish.. from most other angles and every other photo i could find, the helmet finish looks exactly like the navy keyline in the decal.. interesting though.. now i'm wondering if there are any other subtle metallic finishes that managed to fall through the cracks and weren't included in the list..

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

goodness, that lighting has to be perfect to see the effect of that finish.. from most other angles and every other photo i could find, the helmet finish looks exactly like the navy keyline in the decal.. interesting though.. now i'm wondering if there are any other subtle metallic finishes that managed to fall through the cracks and weren't included in the list..

I always thought the Rams were just glossy, but CCSLC member Colorwerx told me years ago that they use a metallic finish as well.  You would never know it watching the games.  There only a handful of NFL teams that don't use a metallic or pearlescent finish,   

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 1/28/2016 at 0:23 AM, Quillz said:

But in other sports, it's happened. While MLB has produced many all-New York World Series, you may have forgotten we had an all-St. Louis World Series in 1944, when the Cardinals played the Browns. (In fact, every game was played at the same stadium, too!) There has never been an all-Boston World Series, but it almost happened in 1914, when the A's beat out the Red Sox in the final standings. Likewise, the 2009 season had the Dodgers and Angels within one series win of meeting each other in the World Series. Philadelphia also used to have two teams, but there was never any serious prospects of an all-Philly World Series. Neither the NHL nor NBA can produce Finals featuring one city. The former has no two-team cities, and the latter aligns their conferences on East/West geography.

The italicized portion is wrong on both counts regarding the NHL.

If Dodgers-Angels qualifies as the same city, then surely Kings-Ducks would too. And if Kings-Ducks qualifies as same city, then Rangers-Islanders-Devils should count as well since the distance between the Staples Center and the Honda Center is further than the distances between MSG and Barclays Center, MSG and Prudential Center, and Barclays Center and Prudential Center. Even back when the Islanders were in Nassau Coliseum the distance between it and MSG was shorter than Staples Center-Honda Center.

But that's all moot anyway. The real reason why the NHL hasn't produced any one-city finals is that the NHL is aligned on East-West geography.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

On 1/28/2016 at 1:23 AM, Quillz said:

But in other sports, it's happened. While MLB has produced many all-New York World Series, you may have forgotten we had an all-St. Louis World Series in 1944, when the Cardinals played the Browns. (In fact, every game was played at the same stadium, too!) 

Don't forget the 1906 World Series between the Cubs and White Sox.

Pick-off_attempt_at_first%2C_1906_World_

Frank Chance of the Cubs slides past the Sox' Jiggs Donahue to get back to first base on a pickoff attempt.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

7 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I always thought the Rams were just glossy, but CCSLC member Colorwerx told me years ago that they use a metallic finish as well.  You would never know it watching the games.  There only a handful of NFL teams that don't use a metallic or pearlescent finish,   

And I'm almost certain the packers use a metallic finish as well.. Very subtle, but you can see some flakes in the right lighting

The Milwaukee Brewers and the Houston Astros are the only teams that can win a pennant in both leagues...and the Brew Crew almost did (I was rooting for them to do so as well).

Also, the Colts are the only team to represent both conferences/leagues in the Super Bowl (NFL in 1969; AFC in 1971 and more recent appearances).

The Rams are the only team to win three World Championships in three different franchise stops (1945, 1951, 1999).

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

On 1/28/2016 at 5:13 AM, Old School Fool said:

In the terrible 1988 movie Mac and Me, there's football players in uniform in the dance scene at McDonald's (Yes, you heard right) and they seem to be wearing Washington Redskins uniforms, except one problem, they're wearing yellow pants which were last worn 10 years prior to this movie in 1978. I'm well aware this probably has nothing to do with the team, but it's really weird how close it looks, they even have the two stripe socks! It's not even the weirdest thing about the scene in general.

Note: This movie sucks. I'm sorry.

Those football uniforms look a lot like the Doug Flutie era Boston College uniforms.

Also, saw a pair of Avia kicks. Those were the heaviest basketball shoes I've ever worn!

CCSLC Signature.jpg

On 1/28/2016 at 5:05 PM, ConcreteCharlie said:
On 1/28/2016 at 1:23 AM, Quillz said:

Speaking of the Panthers, their first Super Bowl appearance (against the Patriots) was the first time that both conference champions were named for regions, and not cities. Other combinations are possible, but haven't happened yet: Patriots-Cardinals, Patriots-Bucs, Titans-Cardinals, Titans-Bucs, Titans-Panthers.

Panthers vs. Patriots is the only championship possible in any sport featuring teams representing more than one state ..  the 2 carolinas vs the 6 new england states.   Carolina Hurricanes has no counterpart in hockey.  Other team's not named for a State or a City is Golden State Warriors and the Tampa Bay teams (tampa bay is not a city it is a region sort of like saying the San Francisco Bay area) and the Brooklyn Nets - Brooklyn is technically a burough of New York City, despite being large enough on its own to be one of the biggest cities in US.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

3 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

The Milwaukee Brewers and the Houston Astros are the only teams that can win a pennant in both leagues...and the Brew Crew almost did (I was rooting for them to do so as well).

Also, the Colts are the only team to represent both conferences/leagues in the Super Bowl (NFL in 1969; AFC in 1971 and more recent appearances).

The Rams are the only team to win three World Championships in three different franchise stops (1945, 1951, 1999).

The Braves won World Series in Boston, Milwaukee and Atlanta. 

Archived