Super Bowl LI

buckeyecal

I haven't been following this closely, but I had been hoping the NFL would switch to Arabic numerals following Super Bowl 50.

Is there a quick explanation about why they went back to Roman numerals?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I haven't been following this closely, but I had been hoping the NFL would switch to Arabic numerals following Super Bowl 50.

Is there a quick explanation about why they went back to Roman numerals?

From my memory, super bowl 50 was always intended to be an exception to the rule.

So it isn't going back per say, but the ending of an exception.

I think 100 will be the same way. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

39 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

From my memory, super bowl 50 was always intended to be an exception to the rule.

I think 100 will be the same way. 

Or maybe the NFL goes the way of the World Series, NBA, NHL and even now Wrestlemania - just go by year and drop the number altogether. If they went that route, it might finally lead to some much-needed parity with pre-Super Bowl NFL championships. 

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

44 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Or maybe the NFL goes the way of the World Series, NBA, NHL and even now Wrestlemania - just go by year and drop the number altogether. If they went that route, it might finally lead to some much-needed parity with pre-Super Bowl NFL championships. 

Then they'd have to name it by the season. This would be fine with me, as the NFL championship pushed into the following calendar year even before the Super Bowl. The 1965 NFL Championship Game was played on January 2, 1966.

1 hour ago, DiePerske said:

Per say!?

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I strongly believe we'll see the NFL boil the branding down to "The Super Bowl" at some point.

I strongly hope that shift in branding opens the door for more creative logo designs wrapped around, say, a consistent "SUPER BOWL" font.

• 2 weeks later...

So, was the "50" logo the start of an evolution away from the ultra-generic logo system and not just a one-off? Good.

This is still pretty bland, but I like the Roman numerals with serifs and the splash of red. Maybe we're not all the way back to unique logos every year, but it's a step in the right direction.

Here's a less filtery image. It's definitely silver with a splash of red. Could be a cool way to tie into the hosting city/team. Not nearly as cool as a custom logo, but a step in the right direction.

UuGkbVY.png

Side note: I think this is the same font as what was used for the "XL."

mimeefyh11lc05r1agke.gif

According to the official style guide there is only one logo now and not a National and Regional anymore as well...

"The Super Bowl creative direction evolves this year as we close the
door on 50 and open another to the future of Super Bowl and the NFL
with Super Bowl LI. Inspired by a more youthful, ever-changing and bold
future you’ll notice some changes. Namely, only ONE Super Bowl logo,
versus the two national and regional of years past. You’ll also see bolder
more passionate colors, intimate and engaging imagery that draw you in and
more flexibility with the elements than years past. All inspired by the intricacies
of the host city, Houston, Texas. Rooted in tradition but always pushing the limits,
Houston ignited our thinking with its great range of diversity and its ability to define
itself as a major metropolis in not only an enormous and football-loving state —
Texas — but also in the world."

I mocked this one up, not perfect. Just messing around. I suppose the alternate logos will have the 3D NRG Stadium, or a few of the buildings from the Houston skyline illustrated inside the "LI" (Like some of the San Fran landmarks are inside the "50")

Glad the Roman Numerals are back.

ccevrue.jpg

stadium.jpg

º º º º

gYFfCIp.pngPtJSay1.png

1 hour ago, JPDesign said:

Side note: I think this is the same font as what was used for the "XL."

mimeefyh11lc05r1agke.gif

Yep they did, not sure if I am allowed to say the font name here, (The NFL official fonts are mentioned in the media guides online) But it's the same.
Again, just messing around seeing if they were the same.
8YbXUdW.png

º º º º

gYFfCIp.pngPtJSay1.png

43 minutes ago, UncleJunior said:

I suppose the alternate logos will have the 3D NRG Stadium, or a few of the buildings from the Houston skyline illustrated inside the "LI" (Like some of the San Fran landmarks are inside the "50")

Go one post up - no more alternate logos. 

1 hour ago, canzman said:

According to the official style guide there is only one logo now and not a National and Regional anymore as well...

"The Super Bowl creative direction evolves this year as we close the
door on 50 and open another to the future of Super Bowl and the NFL
with Super Bowl LI. Inspired by a more youthful, ever-changing and bold
future you’ll notice some changes. Namely, only ONE Super Bowl logo,
versus the two national and regional of years past. You’ll also see bolder
more passionate colors, intimate and engaging imagery that draw you in and
more flexibility with the elements than years past. All inspired by the intricacies
of the host city, Houston, Texas. Rooted in tradition but always pushing the limits,
Houston ignited our thinking with its great range of diversity and its ability to define
itself as a major metropolis in not only an enormous and football-loving state —
Texas — but also in the world."

All that Nike speak sounds interesting, but with this logo I don't see the "flexibility and intricacies of the host city" they are talking about. I see the bolder color that was mentioned, but nothing else here says Houston.

Archived