Visiting team names in endzones

cmm

I've been watching some old NFL games on YouTube lately since I enjoy seeing the old theme songs, graphics, field art, uniforms, etc. I found a few videos where the visiting team has its name in one of the endzones. Some of them I've seen before, some are new to me. I thought I'd share a few since it fascinates me. I'm sure it's not a complete list, but I'm surprised at how often it happened.

1986-87 AFC Championship Game, Broncos at Browns

yNc5x9Y.jpg

1985-86 AFC Championship Game, Patriots at Dolphins

qnqRouN.jpg

1972 AFC Championship Game, Dolphins at Steelers

V85wPxD.jpg

1977 NFC Divisional Playoff game, Vikings at Rams

l3UZYOq.jpg

1982 NFC First Round game, Cardinals at Packers (weird red helmets in one endzone)

Dz3OoP8.jpg

1970-71 AFC Championship Game, Raiders at Colts

307VnXO.jpg

1970-71 NFC Championship Game, Cowboys at 49ers

rMgILWs.jpg

1977-78 AFC Championship Game, Raiders at Broncos

c6T4oJT.jpg

1979 AFC Divisional Playoff Game, Dolphins at Steelers

YmdK5bO.jpg

On 1/30/2016 at 5:17 AM, cmm said:

I've been watching some old NFL games on YouTube lately since I enjoy seeing the old theme songs, graphics, field art, uniforms, etc. I found a few videos where the visiting team has its name in one of the endzones. Some of them I've seen before, some are new to me. I thought I'd share a few since it fascinates me. I'm sure it's not a complete list, but I'm surprised at how often it happened.

1986-87 AFC Championship Game, Broncos at Browns

yNc5x9Y.jpg

Cool thread idea. That one's especially interesting because it uses the "Browns' wordmark font. You've got to think they just modified the "WN" to "NCO" to turn "Browns" into "Broncos."

1975-1995_Browns_Script.PNG

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• 11 months later...
On February 1, 2016 at 0:21 PM, WSU151 said:

Nah...the WN isn't the same width as NCO, even with the wide W.    

But if they had giant stencils for each of the letters in "Browns," for "Broncos" they'd have all the letters but the "c" (which is just 3/4 of an "o") so they could create a workaround.

12 minutes ago, GFB said:

But if they had giant stencils for each of the letters in "Browns," for "Broncos" they'd have all the letters but the "c" (which is just 3/4 of an "o") so they could create a workaround.

That's not the original argument.  The font is indeed the same...and I'm sure that's how they created the C.  But WNS wasn't modified to form NCOS.  They redid the whole word, not a few letters.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

33 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

That's not the original argument.  The font is indeed the same...and I'm sure that's how they created the C.  But WNS wasn't modified to form NCOS.  They redid the whole word, not a few letters.

Oh, if that's what you're arguing then I think you're getting hung up on the use of the word "modified." It should be pretty obvious to everyone how they created the BRONCOS wordmark out of BROWNS by moving their stencils around as necessary.

16 hours ago, GFB said:

Oh, if that's what you're arguing then I think you're getting hung up on the use of the word "modified." It should be pretty obvious to everyone how they created the BRONCOS wordmark out of BROWNS by moving their stencils around as necessary.

Re-read sc49erfan's post.  That's not what he was implying, especially when he said " you've got to think they just modified the "WN" to "NCO" ".  That means they kept the BRO on the field and modifed the rest...but they clearly repainted the whole word..  You'd think he'd have corrected me last year.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Aside from rarities like that Saints/Giants thing, I wouldn't have thought something like this would ever have happened.

I have a friend who is against putting logos from the rest of the conference on small flags/signs at Camp Randall and the Kohl Center.  (and at Camp Randall, you really have to be looking for them; little flags with non-descript letters in school colors; putting "Ohio State" in one end zone would make his head explode).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived