Morgo's Hand Drawn NHL 2016 *Dallas Stars & Columbus Blue Jackets*

Morgan33

Been a long time since I've posted a concept on here but that doesn't mean I haven't been busy.  In the last 3 months I have updated a total of 15 teams.  Instead of trying to add to the old thread, which is full of missing images, I thought I'd start fresh with a new one.  Here are two recent concepts to kick things off.

Chicago Blackhawks

Very difficult to improve upon perfection but I thought their logo could use some minor updates to make it a little more contemporary.  As for the alternate, I've always thought they should bring back their original look on occasion since it's so different from what they've used for the past 50 plus years.  Vintage white was chosen to hammer down the retro theme while the striping takes elements from both the original set and the current.

cAkU19B.jpg

Boston Bruins

Boston creates a similar conundrum as their current uniforms are just about perfect.  Only the colour of the collar on the home uniform has been changed for consistency.  I also thought it'd be cool if, on occasion, they wore black socks with their home uniform to change things up.  This would only happen 10 times a year.  As for the alternate, I've always loved the 2010 Winter Classic uniform but not the logo.  I recoloured their secondary logo and gave it front treatment for something that honours the rich history of the franchise.  C & C is always appreciated, thanks for looking!

skOgkf6.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great work as always Morgo!

I always enjoy looking at your work; it's evident that you put a lot of time and effort into it.

Blackhawks: I like the updated logo. The feathers work for me here since you have eliminated many of the unnecessary colors. I still would like to see the green and orange done away with, but, hey, I know that that's an unpopular opinion. The rendering of the markings on the face and in the hair are very nicely done. However, the expression on his face leaves something to be desired. There's a certain whimsy about the Blackhawks' current logo that is charming. The expression here seems rather flat. Honestly, I'm not sure what you could do there; drawing faces/expressions has always been extremely challenging for me. It would have been neat to see you change it up on the template a bit. I know the general consensus is that the 'Hawks have some of the best jerseys in all of sports, maybe I'm biased as a Blues fan, but I just don't see it.  The alternate is sublime, however.

8/10 

Bruins: The Bruins, IMO, have the best jerseys in the NHL so, yeah, I'm in agreement that there was really no room for improvement. That yellow alt, though, is just stellar. I'm also in agreement with you that the Bruins Winter Classic logo isn't all that great. I've always loved that alternate logo and seeing it tweaked and placed on a yellow sweater does it more justice than on a black one. No complaints on this one.

9/10 (C'mon, you had it pretty easy for the primaries. A perfect 10/10 wouldn't feel right :))

Yesterday I posted teams from the 2013 Stanley Cup Final, today we go back to the magical year that was 2004...

Calgary Flames

In the past I've been vocal about my opinion that the Flames looked best from 2004 to 2007 and I stand by it.  That being said, I can definitely see why some would think the home iteration is too 'black heavy' which is why white has taken over in the colour hierarchy.  The angular sleeve stripes have been retained while the 'chevron' hems have been flattened for a simpler look.  The shoulder patch represents the Alberta shield and contains a star to symbolize their 1989 cup win.  The throwback alternate has been tweaked so that hem and sleeve stripes match.

j8bepLN.jpg

Tampa Bay Lightning

5 years later and I still hate the way the Lightning sucked all the character from their identity.  Black, Blue, White and Silver is a fantastic colour scheme that looks even better with a lighter blue.  The logo is from the 2007 redesign with all text removed for simplicities sake.  The alternate is a play on their "Bolts" uniform only this time it features a proper crest instead of the asinine word mark.  Once again C & C is always appreciated, thanks for looking!

4XEvspy.jpg

CHI: I get that they did wear a black and white jersey, but this feels very Brooklyn to me. 

BOS: No criticisms, just wondering why they have two identical pants sets.

CAL: Not a fan of the mix between lace up and modern collars. Would love to see a larger version of that shoulder patch, it looks awesome!

TB: I like the Carolina blue, really pops. I think the shoulder/chest logos should be switched. Not a fan of the logo you chose for the third jersey either. 

Okay enough nitpicking. These are all fabulous. You are quite the artist. Tampa and Calgary would look better with these than what they currently wear. Can't wait for the rest!

qtOnrJr.png

16 minutes ago, Canuckleball said:

CHI: I get that they did wear a black and white jersey, but this feels very Brooklyn to me. 

CAL: Not a fan of the mix between lace up and modern collars. Would love to see a larger version of that shoulder patch, it looks awesome!

TB: I like the Carolina blue, really pops. I think the shoulder/chest logos should be switched. Not a fan of the logo you chose for the third jersey either. 

Okay enough nitpicking. These are all fabulous. You are quite the artist. Tampa and Calgary would look better with these than what they currently wear. Can't wait for the rest!

I think that Boston has two pair of pants, because he's just showing that they would be wearing the same thing for both sets of uniforms. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 hour ago, Canuckleball said:

It's hard to tell but one of the pants designs uses vintage white instead normal white

I liked how the collars didn't match on the 2004 set.  The triple striped version looked great on the road while I appreciated the more retro style on the home.  Calgary is the only team I would do this for as it has a lot to do with nostalgia.

Appreciate it :)

Archived