Washington Redskins rebrand

davidrpaige

Living in the DC area I hear a lot of talk about the Redskins, even if it is annoying when you are a baseball (Nationals) fan and couldn't give a damn about the NFL.  Anyways, all the talk about the Redskins being a racist slur and if it should be used for the name of the team got me thinking about a rebrand.  

The look of the 'Skins works very well, so it shouldn't be radically changed, in my opinion.  The simplest thing would be to change the name to the Washington Warriors and utilized past icons to forward the brand.  It is more of a tweak rather than a full rebrand.

Utilizing the primary logo from 1965-1969 as the helmet logo, and substituting Warriors for Redskins on the uniforms, you can have a simple rebrand.

washington_warriors-home-2016_zpsbr7gwbu washington_warriors-away-2016_zps1kfdbwb

For an alternate, I focused on the helmet.  I was fascinated by the 1970-71 Helmet so I wanted to utilize that in a new rebrand to the Warriors.  So I went to the 1970-71 Primary Logo and took a close look at it.  It seemed, at least on this version of the logo, that the R was created by the font Big Caslon, so I used that to replace the R with a W.  The W can work for either Washington or Warriors name.  With a few tweaks, this is what I created based off that 1970-71 logo:

washington_warriors-red_circle_zpsisiilb

Utilizing that logo I created this alternate helmet look:

washington_redskins-alternate_zpsjurc8ab

Anyways, this is my preference to a rebrand.  Keeping it simple and keeping the things that work on the already existing brand.  What do you think?

Oops, posted the incorrect Home and Away jersey images, ones where I had not recolored the spear to match the rest of the modern burgundy and gold.

washington_warriors-home-2016_zpsv9gi5zq  washington_warriors-away-2016_zps9k6rwiq

Here is a close-up on the spear helmet detail, which is just a recoloring of their old spear logo:

Helmet%20logo%20detail_zpsws9s1elm.png

This is the word mark that I altered to fit the Warriors' name, taken from the Redskin's Media Guide Book.

Washington%20word%20marks_zpszddzqabz.pn

Finally, here is a brushed script W to fit the style of the script R they use as a secondary logo.

Washington_warriors_script_W_zpsddpvj76s

Literally the only thing that's not perfect in this concept is the W in the alternate logo. Everything else, from the helmet logo to the name change, is perfect. 

spacer.png

16 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Literally the only thing that's not perfect in this concept is the W in the alternate logo. Everything else, from the helmet logo to the name change, is perfect. 

Agreed.

I think an option for burgundy pants on the road would be good to include as well, but the W is the only jarring thing in the entire concept.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

2 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

1 hour ago, hockey week said:

Agreed.

I think an option for burgundy pants on the road would be good to include as well, but the W is the only jarring thing in the entire concept.

What about the W is not working?  Is it the font style?  Should I find a W more like the rounded, squat style that actually appears on the game played helmet?

pierce.jpgpierce3.jpg

Do you think a W more in this style would look better?  Can anyone identify this font or close approximation?  I've struck out so far, part of the reason I went with the other style that is supposedly the organization's main logo at the time.

It's 100% the font. It's hard for me to put my finger on exactly what it is, but the very thin strokes definitely looks unlike the rest of the logo. Most sports logos typically involve a lot of thick lines for stitching purposes. That W doesn't have it.

It needs to be a W that better matches what all you're working with. Thicker, bolder...maybe try one like the curly W you have as a secondary logo? It's going to be some trial and error, but the current one sticks out like a sore thumb.

To me, when I saw the font, I thought of Wikipedia. It seems way too generic. 

But like I said, that's the only below perfect thing in this concept, and it's not even that egregious. 

spacer.png

(and i realize it's just a re-cloning of the old spear) it just seems like the spear on the helmet is a cheap rip off of Florida State's brand and something different should be done for Washington to make it their own. (Since they already pay the University to blast the FSU band playing the warchant in the stadium.)

4 hours ago, bhdesigns4 said:

(and i realize it's just a re-cloning of the old spear) it just seems like the spear on the helmet is a cheap rip off of Florida State's brand and something different should be done for Washington to make it their own. (Since they already pay the University to blast the FSU band playing the warchant in the stadium.)

Actually, the Redskin spear helmet outdates Florida St by many years.  Washington had the spear helmet in 1965 while FL State didn't wear theirs until 1976-ish.

But I understand what you are saying, for many generations a spear on a helmet represents Florida State.

Everything about this rebrand concept rocks -- love the spear idea, love the W, even love the gold helmet... Warriors could be anything, it doesn't have to be Indian warriors... I have seen a Warriors concept with a spear and shield, possibly a British American Football Association logo, if memory serves -- kind of a Saxon look. But the spear and feather looks great, definitely recalls (to me) the classic Redskins 1960s helmet more than Florida State. If it was on a metallic gold helmet, then I would say Florida State. But on burgundy, it says Washington.

22eb89183f6e207bcbce03d4e0b1474d.jpg

So I've gone back to the secondary logo and trying to tweak it.  This is what I have so far:

redskins_new_W_logo_zpsbjvozaye.png

Part of me, for some odd reason, feels that the W should have an element of a "thin" line , but I'm struggling to find that balance.  I might try making that thiner element on the end stroke instead of the second stroke.

The question is, am I going in the right direction on this?

2 hours ago, davidrpaige said:

Sorry for the quick turn around post, but I tinkered with the thickness and roundness of the serifs, this is more of the direction I want to go in:

redskins_new_W_logo_zpsrqrzc8q8.png

C&C greatly appreciated.

Yep, there you go. At least it fully fits now. It's something about that thick outline circle and the thin parts of the letter inside...idk, it's odd, but it's definitely a thing. This fixes that.  

On 2/5/2016 at 3:11 PM, davidrpaige said:

Actually, the Redskin spear helmet outdates Florida St by many years.  Washington had the spear helmet in 1965 while FL State didn't wear theirs until 1976-ish.

But I understand what you are saying, for many generations a spear on a helmet represents Florida State.

I almost put that it outdates it, but its been away for so long, and been on FSU's since '76 i believe, its just part of the brand at this point.

Archived