Are there any white helmets that are better than the color?

KJHillis

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/4/2016 at 3:23 PM, KJHillis said:

As a South Carolina fan, there is an ongoing debate between garnet vs. white helmets. The garnet helmets, while used during pretty lean years, actually are loved by fans and recruits too, it appears. The white ones, while representative of the best years, are stale. I have never heard one person, fan or not, to take the time to say anything nice about the helmets. 

Are there any examples of white helmets being superior to a colored option? I immediately thought of the NC State helmets and the same situation.

1.jpg

2.jpeg

In theory, a garnet helmet could look better. But the way these are executed, with the ugly matte plastic maroon finish and the logo plopped awkwardly in a white circle, the white helmet is easily superior.

When I was in school at State, I hated how State only wore white helmets, and during the TOB years, it seemed that the block S logo was smaller and only had a single red stripe on the helmet. My final year or so, they introduced a traditional red State helmet with a white block S and white 3-stripes, and everyone loved it. It was a throwback to past State helmets and it was nice to see red again after years and years of white. With the new coaching staff, I gotta say, I'm actually more of a fan of the current white helmet than I am the red one. I like how striping was updated to include black as that's in the logo and i feel like helps connect the helmet to other parts of the uniform set, but now after a few years of having red helmets I love seeing State in the traditional white helmet especially in games such as Wake, Duke, FSU, Clemson, etc. For games against Carolina? I prefer the red helmet, helps clash against that baby blue.

9446394835_21af615875_o.jpg

north-carolina-state-football-automatically-imported-fsu-at-nc-state-ncs-f-auto-00113smd.jpg

russell-wilson.jpg

screenshot-2017-09-15-18-37-19.png

On 2/4/2016 at 1:21 PM, OnWis97 said:

White better:

• Wisconsin
  • South Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Houston Oilers

These helmets

940x.jpg

are sharper than this:

joel-stave-wisconsin-badgers.jpg

From a distance, the Motion W on the white helmet looks like a big blob because there isn't enough negative space in that logo. (although in recent years it has been alleged that Wisconsin has tried to improve the contrast between the red and black by making the red lighter).

I would return to a more traditional darker shade of red and remove the black drop-shadow, perhaps just for the traditional white helmets. Something like this:

Motion_W_shadowless_website_red.png

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

• 6 months later...

LSU has worn white helmets on several "special" occasions... it's a look that I do not like, either with the traditional home whites OR the occasional purple jerseys....

6edea768a4b1de7345891cb0249ca073.jpglsu-2.jpg

The traditional yellow/athletic gold helmets are much better, with either the traditional white or purple jerseys:

team2.jpgPurpleShirts.jpg

It is what it is.

1 hour ago, miketd1 said:

miami-hurricanes-helmet.jpg

I think the intent was to ask about teams that wear white helmets as an alternative to their usual colored helmets.

I could be wrong, of course. If I'm right, then Miami doesn't count, since with few exceptions, they've been wearing white helmets as their primaries for almost 40 years.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

3 minutes ago, CRichardson said:

I think the intent was to ask about teams that wear white helmets as an alternative to their usual colored helmets.

I could be wrong, of course. If I'm right, then Miami doesn't count, since with few exceptions, they've been wearing white helmets as their primaries for almost 40 years.

Miami1.png

Miami did try these on for size, so the white helmet in this case is definetly the better option.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Archived