KC_3.2designs

xiETYJt.png

Hey everyone. My latest side project I created a redesign concept of Wamego High School located in Wamego Kansas. I am currently student teaching at the high school and this project stemmed from me trying to find a shirt in town that I could wear so that I would represent the school come baseball season where I will be an assistant coach. But the more shirts I found, the more I really did not like their current raider logo. It looked like the design was trying to hard to combine the powercat logo of the near by Kansas State University with an Indian logo. Some kids in the school nicknamed their current logo the "frankenraider."So I wanted to create my own raider logo and shirt to use for the baseball season and the rest of the redesign snowballed after. For this concept, I took their current raider logo and gave it a modern update complete with smoother and bolder lines. I dropped the powercat look from it and gave the face and feathers shadow highlights to give it more depth. From there I also updated the W logo to match the new raider head and created a universal wordmark that athletics, academics, and community programs can use to create better cohesion with the high school's imagery in the local community. I will start off by posting the two logo updates, then wordmarks and uniforms of the 4 major sports will follow. If you would like to see my whole presentation, you can click on this like to view it on my behance page: https://www.behance.net/gallery/33741150/Wamego-HS-Redesign

xeaOQrI.png

VSouGJ5.png

CD9y1fC.png

What does "Raider" have to do with Native American culture? I don't get the connection.

Also seeing the Native American face in a deep red colour really makes me cringe, and kind of goes against the direction sports logos have been going lately.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

First set of uniforms up are the baseball set. I created two sets at first and couldn't pick one over the other so I added both into the design. Since I coach baseball and do more baseball designs, it was only fitting that I would have came up with multiple baseball designs than the other uniform sets. Up next will be the mens and women's basketball as well as wrapping up with this concept with a football uniform set. 

T4eMCkR.png

7 hours ago, CanucksBrad said:

What does "Raider" have to do with Native American culture? I don't get the connection.

Also seeing the Native American face in a deep red colour really makes me cringe, and kind of goes against the direction sports logos have been going lately.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

I think you might be. Or he could just make the face portion silver? I don't think it's a super big deal, but I might just really like the logo as a logo not as a political thing.

16 hours ago, Whitefoot said:

The feathers are great and the wordmark is perfect. I think the back of the jaw line is too round and the ear shape is strange. Maybe try to make the war paint on the eye area bigger. 

thanks for the comment, ill explore fixing the jaw line since it does look a little to round. That should be an easy fix. The ear I may keep the same or not edit too much. I kept it as a simple shape cause I didnt want it to take away any focus from the two main parts of the logo in the face and feathers.

22 hours ago, jmoe12 said:

Great work, but I think the neck should be shortened, maybe also adjust the curve to curve up rather than down.

As soon as I posted it I thought the same thing about the neck haha. I think you are on to something about making the bottom of the neck curve up rather than have it rounded down. I'll have an edited version early this week.

I will post my last uniform concepts first before I post my edits to the raider logo.

yeah, making the skin color red is definitely Cleveland Indians "redface" territory. I know you tried to make it an accurate depiction with all sorts of respect, but skin color is probably the most touchy thing you can do with that. Even if it's fine at the local level, all it takes is one tweet, one photo to garner national attention in the worst way. It doesn't take many logical leaps to get to a situation like this one:

Rodriguez3.png

I really think you should make the skin silver, just to distract a little from the "red skin" stereotype. Otherwise, this is really solid.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived