New Premier League logo

JQK

2 hours ago, marble21 said:

I'm hoping this logo change doesn't mean a change to the shirt name and number font too. Although I suspect it probably will.

Ā 

That's my biggest worry, too. They could have kept the current font for another 50 years if they wanted to. But if they change to something near what's in the logoĀ ā€” something that's too rounded and too wide to fit neatly on the back of a shirt, and (shudder to think)Ā has stick 1s with no serifs that could just as easily look like uppercase Is or lowercase Ls ā€” then they'll be changing it again in 3-5 years, tops.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This article notes that the agency behind the rebrand is currently working on a 'bespoke font' for the Premier LeagueĀ - I don't know how much it'll differ from the wordmark butĀ I'd be very surprised if it (or at least, someĀ variationĀ on it) isn'tĀ used for names and numbers.

58 minutes ago, Jaffa said:

This article notes that the agency behind the rebrand is currently working on a 'bespoke font' for the Premier LeagueĀ - I don't know how much it'll differ from the wordmark butĀ I'd be very surprised if it (or at least, someĀ variationĀ on it) isn'tĀ used for names and numbers.

Ā 

"Make it work as an app icon, and worry about everything else after," saysĀ DesignStudio ECD Stuart Watson in that article. That kind of thinking gives me a little shiver down my spine.

Ā 

EDIT: Just realized what the font in the logo reminds me of ...

Ā 

googlelogo_color_272x92dp.png

30 minutes ago, pcgd said:

Personally I love the rebrand. Ā The only thing I don't like is how it'll be on all the jerseys. Ā Wish they'd just do the Lion head in a circle.Ā 

I think the lion head alone -- no circle, no wordmark -- would suffice.Ā 

1 hour ago, officeglenn said:

"Make it work as an app icon, and worry about everything else after," saysĀ DesignStudio ECD Stuart Watson in that article. That kind of thinking gives me a little shiver down my spine.

Ā 

I disagree. Ā It's no different from flag design - one of the first things is to look at it about an inch wide and see if it's still legible. Ā  And this is pretty effective:

Ā 

Premier_League_Rebrands_DesignStudio_06.Ā 

I really like the new lion a lot. I'm just not a fan of the font and the way the sleeve patch looks.

Ā 

As dynamic and regal as the lion looks I feel like the font should match it. As far as the patch goes, I think the lion head is strong in its own.

It's just a gigantic downgrade that I'm really surprised that there could be anyone praising this. Yes, design is subjective and all that, but I thought that it was pretty much universally regarded as truth that the previous PL logo was perfect. This one looks much too trendy and cartoony, the lion looks a lot less regal and the jersey patch (which is the most common application where Ā this will be used, not a :censored:ing app) looks absolutely terrible. I'm all for taking out extraneous details and making logos legible in minuscule applications, but personally a lion silhouette will always be easier to make out than a face.Ā They also went from an instantly recognizable typeface to one that could be used by a bio frozen yogurt stand.Ā I'm not sure what they mean by changing colour schemes every three years, but it doesn't sound good. Ā 

Ā 

And that doesn't even take into account that Premier League is a pretty common name for leagues of every sport in every country in the world, in a football sense it would be assumed that it would be the EPL but India's cricket league is also the premier league and they have nothing to distinguish it.

Ā 

Here's the application on the ball

pallone-logo-premier-750x422.jpg

Ā 

Just a reminder of what they left

storia-loghi-premier.jpg

07Giants.pngnyy.png

1 hour ago, anythinglogos said:

And that doesn't even take into account that Premier League is a pretty common name for leagues of every sport in every country in the world, in a football sense it would be assumed that it would be the EPL but India's cricket league is also the premier league and they have nothing to distinguish it.

Ā 

Except for, you know, being the biggest football league in the world, and one of the biggest leagues period.Ā 

Ā 

I love that they're not ceding their name to any of the upstarts looking to ride their coattails. Ā There are many pretenders, but there's only one Premier League. Good on them for standing tall.Ā 

Ā 

Theu don't need to "distinguish" their sport in the logo. Ā The logo, by virtue of being associated with the league, already says enough.Ā 

Just now, Gothamite said:

Ā 

Its also a relatively uncommon color in English football. Ā That might have something to do with it.Ā 

Yeah, probably figured it'd be hard to clash with, no matter what color it was on.

Ā 

Related, this set may be one of my favorite EPL sets ever

Everton-Third-2014-Group02_resized-e1407

I'dĀ love that if it didn't break my rule of socks matching the shirt, not the shorts.

Ā 

Purple has become common as a clash kit since the 90s, but how many clubs in the Football Assiciation use it in their regular uniforms? Ā I can't think of any off the top of my head, although there may be a couple.Ā 

Archived