Edmonton Drillers (Founded 1977)

Calgary Wranglers (Founded 1977)

Vancouver Seawolves (Founded 1926)

Eastern Division

Montreal Maroons (Founded 1924)

Ottawa Capitals (Founded 1977)

Manitoba Stags (Founded 1977)

Toronto Dukes (Founded 1977)

Roughly six months ago I approached Veras and FFWally regarding the possibility of adding another fictional football league to the AFA Universe.  They both welcomed the idea and we have collectively been creating the backstory for this new league ever since. This initial post will be used as the league homepage, containing the most up to date information of the league. Links to the ‘League Blog’ with will include logo, uniform, field and championship histories will also be housed in this post. I will be adding an explanation of how the league is ran and how games are simulated at a later date. The way in which I assign player/coach/team ratings will be slightly more involved than at the AFA/SFL level. 

League Blog: TBA

Team Logo History: TBA

Team Uniform History: TBA

Stadium/Field History: TBA

Championship History

Uofl7Ax.png

NFA Player Ratings:

Spoiler

TALENT RATING

10 - Generational Talent: A player for the ages, one who can does things that no other player would even contemplating doing. Very, very few players will be deserving of this rating probably, one per decade.

9 - Elite Starter: A player that possesses the potential for greatness, a perennial All-Pro throughout his career.

8 – Solid Starter: A player with quality skill, enough contribute to his team for long stretches as a starter. Lacks All-Pro Potential.

7 - Competent/Average Starter: A player with the ability to contribute as a starter. Can get the job done, but is nothing special. 

6 - Spot-Starter: A player whose abilities aren’t quite good enough to land full-time duty. Often these players are career backups but will get opportunities start as a gap/injury replacement starter.

5 – Backup Player: Players that lack skill set to contribute to a roster as a starter. These players provide teams rosters with depth.

4 - Depth Player: Players unlikely to have long careers in the NFA, but they will be called upon when injuries or other circumstances arise. These players are considered elite talent at the junior league level.

3 - Training Camp Player: Player unlikely to make it thru training camp with the NFA, mostly used for depth and to fill out the practice squad. Player is a solid junior league level talent.

2 - Junior League Player: Players likely to never make it above a junior league, considered starter to competent talent at the junior level.

1 - Generic Player: Players who populate junior league rosters for the purpose of populating junior league rosters.

PROBABILITY RATING

A – All but guaranteed to reach potential: Near lock that player will play up to his abilities as noted by his talent rating.

B - Should reach potential, could drop 1 rating: Likely to reach potential, but may have a hole or two in his game that will keep him from reaching his full potential. 

C – May reach potential, could drop 2 ratings: Has shown some flashes, but may ultimately not have what it takes to reach his potential. 

D – Unlikely to reach potential, could drop 3 ratings: Chance to reach potential, but player is unlikely to do so.

F - Doubtful to reach potential, could drop 4 ratings: Possessing little potential or has a mountain to climb to reach potential, this player will be lucky to reach the outermost boundary of his potential.

PROGRESSION SCORE

Progression:

PP : Considerable Progression

: Moderate Progression

S : Stagnant Progression (Little or No-Progresion)

: Moderate Regression

RR : Considerable Regression

Scores:

u : Player is still progressing towards 'talent rating', has not reached his career plateau

c : Player is at a crossroads in his career (recently suffered serious injury, few seasons of unsuccessful play, been at his career plateau for several seasons, age, etc.), the next season will have a huge impact on his evaluation in the future.

d : Player is on the downside of his career, his better playing days are behind him and he is regressing into retirement.

i: Player has an injury concerns and/or is injury prone.

With the announcement that Canadian Football Association (CFA) will be ceasing operations, I have finally been given the green light to introduce my new Canadian based league which will kickoff in the Spring of 1978! So without further ado, welcome to the Northern Football Association CCSLCers! 

13 people like this

I think this looks really cool! Really looking forward to seeing the different teams.  

1 person likes this

This is gonna be AWESOME!  Question-are the team names already set or are you taking suggestions?

2 people like this

7 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

This is gonna be AWESOME!  Question-are the team names already set or are you taking suggestions?

They are pretty much set, been working on the identities for a couple months now. I wouldn't be opposed to having members make suggestions and speculations though!  

Um green for the maple leaf is not the color of go for because it looks like a pot plant a little bit. I'm not trying to be mean I'm just saying that it looks "off" just my two cents

22 minutes ago, chrisCLEMENT said:

They are pretty much set, been working on the identities for a couple months now. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing suggestions/speculations from the forum though!

OK, here are my speculations...

WEST
Calgary Cavalry (ties in to the Stampede, alliterates well too)
Edmonton Barons (obvious oil baron connection)
Vancouver Kermodes (named after the "spirit bear and BC's animal)
Winnipeg Express (ties into its state as a transportation hub)
EAST
Halifax Beacons (Sambro Island Lighthouse, North America's oldest)
Montreal Metros ("Quebec's Metropolis" and Canada's largest city at the time)
Ottawa Monuments (ties in to the capital, plus the plural is spelled the same in English and French)
Toronto Dukes (its old name was York, ties into the famous Duke of York)

1 person likes this

The logo is really close to the NFL logo. Perhaps instead of the 8 smaller leafs you could have an "est." and "1977"? Just a thought. 

3 hours ago, Silence of the Rams said:

Um green for the maple leaf is not the color of go for because it looks like a pot plant a little bit. I'm not trying to be mean I'm just saying that it looks "off" just my two cents

XGLPllr.png

I figured this critique would be one of the first to come up. I put together 3 different color schemes when I designed the logo, thought the green/red looked best . I remember when Matt Wilcox and I did the Ivy League Redesign, the logo had similar complaints. I'm open to changing the color scheme if something else looks better? 

3 hours ago, MBurmy said:

OK, here are my speculations...

WEST
Calgary Cavalry (ties in to the Stampede, alliterates well too)
Edmonton Barons (obvious oil baron connection)
Vancouver Kermodes (named after the "spirit bear and BC's animal)
Winnipeg Express (ties into its state as a transportation hub)
EAST
Halifax Beacons (Sambro Island Lighthouse, North America's oldest)
Montreal Metros ("Quebec's Metropolis" and Canada's largest city at the time)
Ottawa Monuments (ties in to the capital, plus the plural is spelled the same in English and French)
Toronto Dukes (its old name was York, ties into the famous Duke of York)

Some very good speculations here! I will just say that the Barons, Metros, and Dukes were all finalists for those respective cities. Also, Kermodes is not the name of the Vancouver franchise but the team will use Native American art for their logo.

2 minutes ago, chrisCLEMENT said:

XGLPllr.png

I figured this critique would be one of the first to come up. I put together 3 different color schemes when I designed the logo, thought the green/red looked best . I remember when Matt Wilcox and I did the Ivy League Redesign, the logo had similar complaints. I'm open to changing the color scheme if something else looks better? 

Bottom right in my opinion is your best bet. I wasn't trying to be mean I was just pointing something out

15 minutes ago, Uglybus said:

The logo is really close to the NFL logo. Perhaps instead of the 8 smaller leafs you could have an "est." and "1977"? Just a thought. 

The resemblance to the NFL logo is intentional, I originally wanted to call the league "Northern Football League" but to avoid potential confusion that was ruled out. 

I also did try using the "Est." and "1978", but thought the 8 smaller leafs filled the blank space more appropriately. 

I guess it bothers me because the NFL doesn't exist in this universe. 

I like the 3rd color option (red and black) the best. 

I like the top right one best...and I like how this sounds!

This is already great! As to choosing which logo version looks better, I'm torn between top right and bottom right. Maybe the top right is just a tad better than the bottom.

Can't wait, Looks like this inevitable expansion to the North is in good hands Chris, good luck!

Green leaf, red text. Good luck Chris!

1 person likes this

following this topic

Loving the concept, but the NFL-style logo feels too...cheap for this project. That's just me. I want to see something stripey, undeniably 70s!

To me, the font seems a little too thick for the 70's, it could be thinned out a stroke or two. I'm not totally sold on all the little maple leaves, but I'm sure the league will be expanding soon so that may change. Looking forward to the league Chris, you're certainly the right guy for this!

5 hours ago, dsaline97 said:

To me, the font seems a little too thick for the 70's, it could be thinned out a stroke or two. I'm not totally sold on all the little maple leaves, but I'm sure the league will be expanding soon so that may change. Looking forward to the league Chris, you're certainly the right guy for this!

Veras had similar comments when I showed him the logo a couple nights ago, overall the logo might be a bit too thick for the 70s. Maybe this would be better? I think I am going to stick with the Green/Red color combo, even though the leaf may resemble a pot leaf ;)

EA9bcKI.png

No Saskatchewan, truly disappointed. Best fans in the real CFL.