chrisCLEMENT

Northern Football Association (AFA) - 1981

529 posts in this topic

Steelheads! How did that come to mind?! 

Anyway, if you go that route please use this for inspiration :)

steelheadsjersey_front.jpg

steelheadsjersey_frontcrest.jpg

I like these names:

Halifax Highlanders or Seals

Hamilton Steelheads or Hawks just because I like the name

Quebec City Voyagers

Regina Buffaloes- This was what I was going to name my team in my universe but went with Raiders basically because I wanted a double R name for the logo I had in mind.

I hope I'm not too late to add these names.

Halifax Tars - a nickname for sailors

Hamilton Steelers - the "Steel City".

Quebec Patrie - French for Patriot.

Regina Mounties - isn't Regina still the main training base for the RCMP?

I use all of these names in my Canadian Rugby League Association, although the Regina Mounties team was moved to Saskatoon and became the Berries. I know I found the Patrie monicker on this site and thought it was great.

14 hours ago, chrisCLEMENT said:

Here is the fluid list of team names, I'd like to narrow it down to 2-3 monikers. From there I would  developing identities for each, before deciding on what one I prefer. 

Halifax: Seals, Seagulls, Seakings, Scots, Highlanders, Armada, Beacons, Marauders, Narwhals, Spadefeet, Majestics?

Hamilton: Steelcats, Steelheads, Bearcats, Gryphons, Falcons, Bobcats, ?

Quebec City: Voyageurs, Rivermen, Patriotes, Harfangs, Owls, ?

Regina: Buffaloes, Lynx, Big Horns, Reapers, Threshers, Barnstormers, Bison, ?

Definetly want to keep this discussion going throughout the simulation of 1981, I am completely open to any suggestions! Feedback is important to keep this thing going. 

Halifax Narwhals that is something new and creative. Seakings also I liked. But can't it be Sea Kings? or in just one word? Unless a suggestion on both SeaKings and Narwhals, not put a crown on narwhal as a team logo and still call them SeaKings? 

Hamilton Steelcats, definitely 

Quebec City Patriotes I liked that even though in this universe NE Patriots don't exist so my vote goes to that name. Unless you wanna go by with @PacificCoastRL's suggestion on Patrie?

Regina Buffaloes yeah I liked that one. It will be a bit odd if both Regina and Hamiltion sporting a wildcat type name Bobcats and Lynx. So keep it different and simple as it should be.

Halifax Seamen

Hamilton Admirals

Quebec Boreads

Regina Cyclones

15 hours ago, chrisCLEMENT said:

Here is the fluid list of team names, I'd like to narrow it down to 2-3 monikers. From there I would  developing identities for each, before deciding on what one I prefer. 

Halifax: Seals, Seagulls, Seakings, Scots, Highlanders, Armada, Beacons, Marauders, Narwhals, Spadefeet, Majestics?

Hamilton: Steelcats, Steelheads, Bearcats, Gryphons, Falcons, Bobcats, ?

Quebec City: Voyageurs, Rivermen, Patriotes, Harfangs, Owls, ?

Regina: Buffaloes, Lynx, Big Horns, Reapers, Threshers, Barnstormers, Bison, ?

Definetly want to keep this discussion going throughout the simulation of 1981, I am completely open to any suggestions! Feedback is important to keep this thing going. 

Halifax Narwhals

Hamilton Steelcats/Gryphons

Quebec City Patriotes

Regina Lynx

Great feedback thus far gents, I'll reply to everyone individually tonight. I would like to have my team names narrowed down to 2-3 for each city by this weekend so I can start developing identities. So anyone who has an idea please share before it's too late. 

1 person likes this

Halifax Narwhals. Such a unique and creative name. 

If they get this name I'll definitely be a fan. 

-------------

Hamilton Steelcats

Quebec City Vouyagers

Regina Reapers

Halifax Narwhals

Regina Bison 

Hamilton Steelheads

Québec Vouyagers

21 hours ago, MBurmy said:

Thank you for the feedback here!  Of your "fluid list", my picks are:

1. Halifax Highlanders - it would make the most sense given the alliteration, location in Atlantic Canada, and Scottish heritage...though it's been done several times for several other concepts, if we can have the Edmonton Drillers and Montreal Maroons in this league, why not the Highlanders?  Beacons is my second choice (because it was the name of my high school newspaper on which I was a writer) and Seakings is my third...a grandiose, pompous theme would work well for this team, given its owner.

I've actually regretting using the Drillers moniker for awhile now, so much in fact I actually thought of several ways I could try and scrap it. But for now it will stay. This is the kind of precedence I was nervous about making with the Maroons moniker, so I think I am actually going to remove the Highlanders from the main list.

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas gents. Here is where I stand with my trimmed down fluid list.

Halifax: Narwhals, Kingfishers, Serpents

95% positive they will end up being the Narwhals. Which probably will be a popular given that most of you seem to be in favor of it. My only concern is that it doesn't really fit with the owner Vincent Irving, but if nobody else thinks it an issue I will press on. The Kingfishers and Serpents are backup plans if I struggle with ideas for the Narwhals.  For those of you who aren't familiar the Kingfisher is on the Halifax flag; whereas Serpents is a nod to the owners Scottish heritage with a play off the Loch Ness Monster. I ultimately decided to pass on using the Scots, Highlanders, Marauders, and Pilots as I want to add more animal monikers. 

Hamilton: Steelheads, Steelcats, Steelhawks, Huskies, & Gryphons

Honestly I don't feel too strongly about any of these names -- not really sure what direction I will end up going here. Might have to start sketching out ideas for each before deciding on two or three to pursue further.

Regina: Buffaloes, Cyclones, Reapers

This one is a toss up, I feel like I have strong ideas for all three identities. I will likely pursue all further and decide at the end. 

Quebec City Voyageurs

The identity I have planned for the Voyageurs was just too good to pass up. Going to just make it official. But for those who were supporting the Harfangs/Owls, I can promise you that it will be used by a future expansion team! 

What about Hamilton Loyalists? There were a bunch of Pro-British American colonists who resettled in Canada after the American Revolution, there's a statue of the United Empire Loyalists in Canada..maybe use a Dog/Hound as a primary mark?

Here's what I got:

Halifax Kingfishers

Hamilton Steelhawks

Regina Reapers

2 people like this

A little more off the wall for Hamilton, what about something more specific in relation to their steel industry, where the central point of the industry is a giant furnace and molten ore. Some idea fodder:

Blazers, Heaters, Inferno, Torches(ers), Firecats, Firehawks, Firebrands, Blasters, Hellions, Flames.

Halifax: Narwhals is my fave of the three finalists, but you got a point in that it doesn't fit with the owner's personality...that said, Kingfishers and Serpents both do fit in.

Hamilton: Gryphons is still my top pick...as you want to be unlike most others, I think you might want to shy away from a too obvious steel-related name and go with a more subtle one.

Regina: Reapers is still my top pick (though Buffaloes and Cyclones are both good)...I think if you go with the Grim Reaper image for Regina, it'll make it a winner in your eyes.

11 hours ago, chrisCLEMENT said:

Hamilton: Steelheads, Steelcats, Steelhawks, Huskies, & Gryphons

Honestly I don't feel too strongly about any of these names -- not really sure what direction I will end up going here. Might have to start sketching out ideas for each before deciding on two or three to pursue further.

For Hamilton, I know you were looking at animals, and Hamilton is a Steel City. I would go with Steelheads. Steelhead is another name for Rainbow Trout, so you could base it on the fish, which works well with the location on Lake Ontario.

2 people like this

My picks are

Halifax Kingfishers

Hamilton Huskies

Regina Reapers

3 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

For Hamilton, I know you were looking at animals, and Hamilton is a Steel City. I would go with Steelheads. Steelhead is another name for Rainbow Trout, so you could base it on the fish, which works well with the location on Lake Ontario.

This is where my inspiration for the name came from :) 

1 person likes this

Halifax Narwhals - Unique Name could be a really cool identity

Regina Cyclones - Show history of the Regina Cyclone in 1910

Hamilton Steelheads - Hamilton is the "Steel City".