chrisCLEMENT

Northern Football Association (AFA) - 1981

chrisCLEMENT    635
3 hours ago, Megildur said:

Looks great Chris! I can't wait for more concepts and storylines. Is Martin #55 a player in the NFA universe or is it a reference to Canadian baseball player Russell Martin?

That's a really weird coincidence. I had no idea Russell Martin was Canadian, let alone wears #55. But since you mentioned it, Ill give everyone the bios for the two players from the uniform post.

#32 RB Paul Chaffey (27), Alberta - 6'0" / 205

Graduated from Alberta as one of the most decorated running backs in CIS History. Chaffey is a graceful North-South athlete who uses patiences and instincts to gash defenses. He was drafted by the Calgary Mustangs in the 1973 CFA Rookie Draft (3rd Overall). The lack of opportunities and poor offensive line play, however, held Chaffey back from being able to replicate his collegiate success. Deemed a bust by many scouts, the Calgary NFA franchise passed on Chaffey in the Dispersal Draft. Allowing him to be available for the 1978 Provincial Draft (born in Saskatchewan), where the Yellowheads gladly selected him. 

#55 MLB Brett Martin (26), Queen's - 6'0" / 220 

Drafted out of Queen's, by the Regina Raiders, in the 1973 CFA Rookie Draft (4th Overall). Started all four years of his professional career for the Raiders at MLB, leading the team in tackles and sacks the past two seasons. Martin was a very productive collegiate player, earning a spot on the consensus All-Canadian team his sophomore and junior seasons. Would have caught interest of AFA teams if he possessed the ideal build for the position. He is a quick, instinctive, and relentless tackling machine that excels near and behind the line of scrimmage. Struggles when asked to drop into coverage, making him a huge liability in the passing game. Is a better football player than athlete, winning with terrific instincts and generally reliable open-field tackling The Yellowheads selected him in the 1978 Dispersal Draft.

Megildur    11
57 minutes ago, chrisCLEMENT said:

That's a really weird coincidence. I had no idea Russell Martin was Canadian, let alone wears #55. But since you mentioned it, Ill give everyone the bios for the two players from the uniform post.

#32 RB Paul Chaffey (27), Alberta - 6'0" / 205

Graduated from Alberta as one of the most decorated running backs in CIS History. Chaffey is a graceful North-South athlete who uses patiences and instincts to gash defenses. He was drafted by the Calgary Mustangs in the 1973 CFA Rookie Draft (3rd Overall). The lack of opportunities and poor offensive line play, however, held Chaffey back from being able to replicate his collegiate success. Deemed a bust by many scouts, the Calgary NFA franchise passed on Chaffey in the Dispersal Draft. Allowing him to be available for the 1978 Provincial Draft (born in Saskatchewan), where the Yellowheads gladly selected him. 

#55 MLB Brett Martin (26), Queen's - 6'0" / 220 

Drafted out of Queen's, by the Regina Raiders, in the 1973 CFA Rookie Draft (4th Overall). Started all four years of his professional career for the Raiders at MLB, leading the team in tackles and sacks the past two seasons. Martin was a very productive collegiate player, earning a spot on the consensus All-Canadian team his sophomore and junior seasons. Would have caught interest of AFA teams if he possessed the ideal build for the position. He is a quick, instinctive, and relentless tackling machine that excels near and behind the line of scrimmage. Struggles when asked to drop into coverage, making him a huge liability in the passing game. Is a better football player than athlete, winning with terrific instincts and generally reliable open-field tackling The Yellowheads selected him in the 1978 Dispersal Draft.

Brett Martin, middle line backer or Major League Baseball? ? Maybe he is Russell's father and was the one who inspired Russell to go into sports.

Uglybus    338

My only problem with Saskatoon is that the S looks backwards when the helmet is facing left. Other than that, it's absolutely stunning. 

chrisCLEMENT    635

Was going to wait until tomorrow to put this one up, but didn't want to keep it from you guys any longer! This will one of the carry over teams from the CFA, with the being owner Mathieu Marleau. The team will finish up its lease at the Autostade (Capacity: 33,172) this year, before moving to Olympic Stadium (66,308) for the 1979 season. The Autostade will then be demolished, as it has served its purpose. If you have never seen the Autostrade, it is one bizarre looking stadium. At one point the Expos considering playing there until Olympic Stadium was completed.The stadium was orginally built for the 67' World's Fair, it was constructed of 19 independent but linked pre-cast concrete grandstands, each 40 seats wide, arranged around the central field. I felt like the stadium was build solely for the purpose of the World's Fair and the sporting events its hosted were not its main reason for construction. Thus, I kept it apart of the AFA Universe.

I know I might catch a little flack for reusing a former NHL franchises nickname for the Montreal team, but seeing how short lived the team was I thought I could pull it off. The narrative I created, IMHO, was just too good to pass on though!

The Montreal Maroons were originally a professional Canadian football team playing in the Quebec Football League (QFL). Founded by Peter Marleau in 1924, the team was founded for the French-Canadian community in Montreal. They shared their home city with, the Montreal Lions, who were intended to appeal to the English-Canadian population. Financial difficulties, resulting from the Great Depression, forced the two teams to integrate in 1938 (they became the Montreal Professional Football Club). After just three seasons though, Marleau could no longer handle the financial burden of the team and sold his shares to co-owner Don Smith. By the following season, the team was once again became known as the Montreal Lions.

In 1952, when several teams from the QFL merged with the six (6) other Canadian leagues to form the Canadian Junior Football Association; the Montreal Lions were invited to join the newly formed Canadian Football Association (CFA). The Lions came under fire in 1954, when five French-Canadian players filed discrimination lawsuits against the club, after they were released from the team. Reports surfaced that the league has known about owner Don Smith's continual harassment of French-Canadian players, but has not done anything about it. With bad publicity aplenty, the league was under serious pressure from the fans to act. It was announced in 1956, that the Lions would be purchased by the league and that the CFA will assume responsibility for operating the club. The Montreal franchise did not participate in the 1957 season, as the league looked to resell the club to a new ownership group that would be committed to rebuilding the image of professional football in Montreal. 

The league ultimately decided on an ownership group led by none other than, beverage magante Mathieu Marleau, son of Peter Marleau. He immediately resurrected the Montreal Maroons moniker, but unlike his father's team, he attempted to appeal to both the French-Canadian and English-Canadian communities. The Maroons were an overnight success in the CFA, both at the gate and on the field. Marleau won 3 Windsor Cups in the first 7 years of his new franchise. The quirkiest part of the franchise was the use of khaki pants. His fathers Maroons wore khaki pants throughout their history, so Mathieu felt he should continue that tradition despite khaki being void from the rest of the uniform. 

MONTREAL MAROONS

City: Montreal (1,475,000)

Province: Quebec (6,438,000)

wsjOi47.png

oVt8Oid.png

sleuthpanther    274

This looks very similar to the grey pants look Mississippi state put out last year, which is a very good thing I liked it alot. So is this league starting a little bit later than Veras' league? The equipment and helmers look to be the same as where the AFA is "now" (the latest victory bowl)

Uglybus    338
1 hour ago, sleuthpanther said:

This looks very similar to the grey pants look Mississippi state put out last year, which is a very good thing I liked it alot. So is this league starting a little bit later than Veras' league? The equipment and helmers look to be the same as where the AFA is "now" (the latest victory bowl)

Yes. This league is starting in the late 70s, whereas the AFA started shortly after WWII. 

chrisCLEMENT    635
2 hours ago, Uglybus said:

Yes. This league is starting in the late 70s, whereas the AFA started shortly after WWII. 

This is correct, we are in 1977-78 right now getting ready for the season to kick off in the spring/summer of 1978. We are running on the same timeline as the AFA.

12 hours ago, chrisCLEMENT said:

Was going to wait until tomorrow to put this one up, but didn't want to keep it from you guys any longer! This will one of the carry over teams from the CFA, with the being owner Mathieu Marleau. The team will finish up its lease at the Autostade (Capacity: 33,172) this year, before moving to Olympic Stadium (66,308) for the 1979 season. The Autostade will then be demolished, as it has served its purpose. If you have never seen the Autostrade, it is one bizarre looking stadium. At one point the Expos considering playing there until Olympic Stadium was completed.The stadium was orginally built for the 67' World's Fair, it was constructed of 19 independent but linked pre-cast concrete grandstands, each 40 seats wide, arranged around the central field. I felt like the stadium was build solely for the purpose of the World's Fair and the sporting events its hosted were not its main reason for construction. Thus, I kept it apart of the AFA Universe.

I know I might catch a little flack for reusing a former NHL franchises nickname for the Montreal team, but seeing how short lived the team was I thought I could pull it off. The narrative I created, IMHO, was just too good to pass on though!

The Montreal Maroons were originally a professional Canadian football team playing in the Quebec Football League (QFL). Founded by Peter Marleau in 1924, the team was founded for the French-Canadian community in Montreal. They shared their home city with, the Montreal Lions, who were intended to appeal to the English-Canadian population. Financial difficulties, resulting from the Great Depression, forced the two teams to integrate in 1938 (they became the Montreal Professional Football Club). After just three seasons though, Marleau could no longer handle the financial burden of the team and sold his shares to co-owner Don Smith. By the following season, the team was once again became known as the Montreal Lions.

In 1952, when several teams from the QFL merged with the six (6) other Canadian leagues to form the Canadian Junior Football Association; the Montreal Lions were invited to join the newly formed Canadian Football Association (CFA). The Lions came under fire in 1954, when five French-Canadian players filed discrimination lawsuits against the club, after they were released from the team. Reports surfaced that the league has known about owner Don Smith's continual harassment of French-Canadian players, but has not done anything about it. With bad publicity aplenty, the league was under serious pressure from the fans to act. It was announced in 1956, that the Lions would be purchased by the league and that the CFA will assume responsibility for operating the club. The Montreal franchise did not participate in the 1957 season, as the league looked to resell the club to a new ownership group that would be committed to rebuilding the image of professional football in Montreal. 

The league ultimately decided on an ownership group led by none other than, beverage magante Mathieu Marleau, son of Peter Marleau. He immediately resurrected the Montreal Maroons moniker, but unlike his father's team, he attempted to appeal to both the French-Canadian and English-Canadian communities. The Maroons were an overnight success in the CFA, both at the gate and on the field. Marleau won 3 Windsor Cups in the first 7 years of his new franchise. The quirkiest part of the franchise was the use of khaki pants. His fathers Maroons wore khaki pants throughout their history, so Mathieu felt he should continue that tradition despite khaki being void from the rest of the uniform. 

MONTREAL MAROONS

City: Montreal (1,475,000)

Province: Quebec (6,438,000)

wsjOi47.png

oVt8Oid.png

Mississippi State? 

In all seriousness simple but effective

chrisCLEMENT    635

Thanks for the all the comments, I appreciate them. Glad everyone has enjoyed the first two teams so far!

I'm about ready to release the third team, the owner has already been introduced in the AFA thread :) any guesses on who the owner is and where the team is located?

**HINT** I am not talking about Vancouver. **HINT**

timberwolf    233
47 minutes ago, Ipapterotes said:

read spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Gordon Clemont and the Toronto Lakers

I was just going to suggest that.

MBurmy    428
Spoiler

I predict Thomas van der Linden's gonna license the Toronto Bruins brand from his uncle for his own team.