2016 MLB Season

ninersdd

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, CS85 said:

Enjoy this and more with your favorite baseball twitter account, https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis

Seeing this account makes me even more glad that the Cardinals are out of the postseason. Be glad to have made the postseason 5 years in a row with a title to show for it. For most of my life the O's didn't even sniff the playoffs. 

spacer.png

6 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Angels season is finally, gratefully, over at 74-88.

I saw on Twitter that the Angels only played in 4 extra innings games this season and didn't win any of them. First time a team has gone through a season without winning an extra innings game since 1969. That might be my favorite stat from this season. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

14 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Angels season is finally, gratefully, over at 74-88.

Now, if I may, a case for Mike Trout as MVP despite the pitiful team he plays on:

.315 AVG, .441 OBP (led the majors), .550 SLG, .991 OPS (led the majors), 173 H, 123 R (led the majors), 29 HR, 100 RBI, 30 SB, 116 BB (led the majors), 10.4 WAR (led the majors), and just scrolling through Baseball Reference's MLB batting stats including the fancy ones, Trout leads 17 of their 44 categories. (Next highest is David Ortiz leading 4.)

I think it was Ken Rosenthal that wrote "I just don't want people to look back in twenty years at Mike Trout's stats and think 'how did he only win one MVP?'" And I fully agree. Mike Trout deserves the MVP this year and in my opinion it's not even close.

Now that I've said that I might as well post my award choices (not my predictions, my opinion probably doesn't line up with the voters' opinions.)

AL MVP: Mike Trout

NL MVP: Kris Bryant

AL CY: Corey Kluber

NL CY: Clayton Kershaw (I almost picked Jose Fernandez here, but Kershaw has just been too dominant, low innings count be damned)

AL ROY: Gary Sanchez

NL ROY: Corey Seager 

AL Manager: Terry Francona 

NL Manager: Joe Maddon 

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Are we doing a separate thread for the postseason or are we just going to keep it in here?

Anyway, here are my predictions for the postseason:

AL Wild Card

Orioles 3-1 Blue Jays

Chris Tillman gives up a run early, but then settles in and shuts the Jays down.  Stroman dominates our offense save for a lone solo shot from Matt Wieters.  The game is 1-1 till the 8th when the O's score 2 runs off of the Jays 'pen.  Britton gets the save.

NL Wild Card

Mets 4-5 Giants

Not the result I want to see, but postseason MadBum is a different beast from regular season MadBum, even if the regular season one was pretty darn good too.  Would love to see the Mets pull this one out but I think the Giants will end up taking this one.

ALDS

Texas over Baltimore in 4

The O's have been good this year but not good enough.  We struggled against the Rangers earlier in the year and their dominance will show, as they dispatch us in 4 games.

Boston over Cleveland in 4

With virtually all of their starting pitching behind Kluber gone, the Indians have little to no chance against the (sigh) juggernaut that has been the Sox this year.  Side prediction: the Indians' only win comes against David Price in game 2.

NLDS

Cubs over Giants in 3

The Giants' even year success comes to a screeching halt as they get swept by the powerful Cubs.  Not even MadBum can save them this time.

Nats over Dodgers in 5

This will go down to the wire, but behind Max Scherzer's dominance and a powerful offense, the Nats will sneak by a Kershaw-led Dodgers side.

ALCS

Boston over Texas in 6

Texas has the players to compete with the Sox, but this seems like Boston's year in the AL.  They will take this one realatively easily.

NLCS

Cubs over Nats in 5

Cubs are clearly the better team here.  Scherzer might keep the Nats in it, but with the talent the Cubs have, I can't see them not winning the pennant.

World Series

Cubs over Red Sox in 7

I'm picking more with my heart than my head here.  I'd absolutely love to see the Cubs win, but imo the more likely scenario is Boston winning - again.  But I just can't bear to pick them, so I'm going Cubbies here.

World Series MVP: Anthony Rizzo, Cubs 

spacer.png

3 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

I kinda hope the Blue Jays choke.... just so I can focus on Basketball. And tbh, I like the Orioles this year. They've been fun to watch (I had Manny Machado on my fantasy team as well.) 

Are you even a Jays fan? This is your second postseason appearance in 23 years, wouldn't you want to see a championship?

My totally meaningless predictions:

Wild Cards:
BAL over TOR
SF over NYM

LDS:
BOS over CLE
BAL over TEX
CHC over SF
LAD over WAS

LCS:
BOS over BAL
CHC over LAD

World Series:
CHC over BOS

Hoping the Sox don't get nearly that far, but I'm fine with anything that involves the Cubs winning it all.

I don't think I watched a single inning of live baseball this year. So with that standing as my level of investment, I'd like to see the Cubs win and the Blue Jays to make the World Series. 

Oof. 

Oh well. Pretty good season, disappointing end obviously. Don't really have too many complaints. Blue jays clearly the better team. 

I will probably root for Texas though after that beer can incident. That was disgraceful. 

Anyway, that's all folks. I leave you with a plea to the Orioles:

Just win it all once in my life. That's all I ask. 

oh and go not red Sox/cubs/rangers

spacer.png

It's going to be hard not to root for the Cubs, but I think they'll just...Cub. I despise the Rangers and Red Sox, highly dislike the Giants and Jays. As much as the Indians are a rival to the Tigers, I don't hate them as much as the other teams in the central. I've always felt more of a empathy for Cleveland in general as opposed to a dislike. I don't mind the Dodgers. I like the Nats, Mets and Cubs.

That being said, I gotta go:

1. Cubs

2. Indians

3. Nats

4. Mets

5. Dodgers

Any of those, and I'm happy.   

sig.png

9 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

It's going to be hard not to root for the Cubs, but I think they'll just...Cub.

Hard-hitting baseball analysis

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I haven't watched much baseball this year, but if the Cubs make the World Series I'm watching every inning of that - that's history in the making, right there. (I don't know if this has been pointed out or not, but this was their first 100-win season since 1935!)

Of course, having said that I'm sticking to the same prediction I made to myself at the start of the year: Blue Jays over Cubs, hopefully in 7 games.

Archived