I guess it's that time again -- looking forward to the uniform and logo changes in the NBA for the upcoming 2016-17 season ... THE LAST YEAR OF ADIDAS!

As has been twirling around Twitter, UniWatch and the mothership (thanks to Conrad) ... the "rumored" or "semi-confirmed" changes for 16-17 include Sacramento, Utah and Detroit.

nba-2016-17-changes.png

Not sure if this graphic confirms a change in the Celtics' primary logo? But, I'll post it here for speculation ...

nba-2016-17-changes-2.png

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My money on the new Pistons logo is a marriage of these two logos ... like the Jazz, don't see BIG changes (except I'd love the basketball horse secondary back).

pistons6.jpg

pistons3.jpg

EDIT: The O in the DETROIT logo looks like a marriage of these two logos ... the 16-17 logo?

CbBebTLWEAA24_z.jpg 

Yeah, I'm not expecting anything too drastic with the Jazz. As much as I'd love to see a navy/purple swap, I think changes are going to be much more minimal.

That said, if theyre changing the court up, I wouldn't mind this making a comeback in the current colorway:

Image-5406850-176400395-4-WebSmall_0_d6d

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I don't think that Jazz needs to change something except adding "Utah" to secondary logo and make it primary. Court is nice, uniforms are good.

The same thing is for Kings. Logo is not bad, uniforms aren't that bad, only thing they need is back to the previous court (but replace center logo to normal, not that with 3d effect).

Pistons. Unis is okay, they need to change collar from wishbone to round. Court is good too.

4r2eer.png

2 hours ago, Josh.0 said:

Here is more information concerning the Jazz changes. It's a local post about the change from July 2015. Don't expect any big changes -- just the dropping of the mountain logo and probably the addition of a couple new secondary logos -- plus TWEAKS to the jersey and court.

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Yeah, I'm not expecting anything too drastic with the Jazz. As much as I'd love to see a navy/purple swap, I think changes are going to be much more minimal.

That said, if theyre changing the court up, I wouldn't mind this making a comeback in the current colorway:

Image-5406850-176400395-4-WebSmall_0_d6d

47 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

I don't think that Jazz needs to change something except adding "Utah" to secondary logo and make it primary. Court is nice, uniforms are good.

The same thing is for Kings. Logo is not bad, uniforms aren't that bad, only thing they need is back to the previous court (but replace center logo to normal, not that with 3d effect).

Pistons. Unis is okay, they need to change collar from wishbone to round. Court is good too.

All good thoughts, and I do agree--I like the Jazz's simplistic, neo-retro uniform (and note logo!) design. I even like their general color palette as well--no one else in the Big 4 wears some form of Blue/Green/Yellow, unless you include navy as part of the Green Bay Packers' color scheme due to their throwbacks.

The biggest problem with the Utah Jazz's identity is that the overall palette is too dark, causing colors to bleed into a generally muted color scheme. According to the Wikipedia page, the Utah Jazz's colors are Navy Blue, Dark Green, Dark Yellow...and Gray(!)? (We might need to get ColorWerx to compare this "dark yellow" to the yellow/athletic gold/etc. of other teams, and the gray is only there for display purposes.)

Sure, going back to Purple/Kelly Green/Yellow works just as well, provided purple is kept away from yellow and kept near white (and maybe green), while the Green/Yellow are primarily paired together, but Blue*/Kelly Green/Athletic Gold AKA Yellow stands out just as well.

*Royal or Navy

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

28 minutes ago, DustDevil61 said:

All good thoughts, and I do agree--I like the Jazz's simplistic, neo-retro uniform (and note logo!) design. I even like their general color palette as well--no one else in the Big 4 wears some form of Blue/Green/Yellow, unless you include navy as part of the Green Bay Packers' color scheme due to their throwbacks.

The biggest problem with the Utah Jazz's identity is that the overall palette is too dark, causing colors to bleed into a generally muted color scheme. According to the Wikipedia page, the Utah Jazz's colors are Navy Blue, Dark Green, Dark Yellow...and Gray(!)? (We might need to get ColorWerx to compare this "dark yellow" to the yellow/athletic gold/etc. of other teams, and the gray is only there for display purposes.)

Sure, going back to Purple/Kelly Green/Yellow works just as well, provided purple is kept away from yellow and kept near white (and maybe green), while the Green/Yellow are primarily paired together, but Blue*/Kelly Green/Athletic Gold AKA Yellow stands out just as well.

*Royal or Navy

I agree with you -- the colors are too dark, especially on the current alternate green jerseys.. The 1982 version works because of the Kelly Green -- but, really too Sonic-ish.

I like the idea of the current greens -- but they the blue side panels make the jersey too dark. I wish they were either white (like the blue roads) or gold -- I think that would lighten it up quite a bit.

But, maybe the same template with Kelly Green would work? 

jazz-uni-compare1.jpg

5 hours ago, Josh.0 said:

I agree with you -- the colors are too dark, especially on the current alternate green jerseys.. The 1982 version works because of the Kelly Green -- but, really too Sonic-ish.

I like the idea of the current greens -- but they the blue side panels make the jersey too dark. I wish they were either white (like the blue roads) or gold -- I think that would lighten it up quite a bit.

But, maybe the same template with Kelly Green would work? 

jazz-uni-compare1.jpg

Are the Sonics still around?

I like the idea of taking the 1982-83 greens and adding just enough blue or purple or whatever the Jazz's main color to make it distinctive if and when Seattle gets the NBA back. Think of the tri-colored neck/arm/leg stripes in the 1980s-96 uniforms...

john-stockton.jpg

16557.jpg

...why not apply the same concept to the 1982-83 green jerseys?

But I wouldn't mind seeing the current green uniform template stick around, with a kelly(-ish)* green and yellow side panels, as that allows for some room for blue/purple to be used.

That said, IF the Jazz were to return to purple and keep their template, I'd still probably double down on yellow trim for the "Utah Jazz" wordmark, NOB, and leg note logo on the green alts. I'd also go almost all-white "Utah Jazz" wordmark/NOB/leg note logo on what would be the primary purple road jersey, with the homes being an updated version of the white (purple wordmark/NOB/leg note logo). I'll have to whip up a couple concepts illustrating what I mean.

One more thing: I'd also bring back the old block-serif font. Given that this fact isn't lost on team management, it only makes sense to bring that back on the current uniform templates, but then again, Adidas...

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

^^^Yes to the old block font. I like it paired with the wordmark so much better than the current font (which I really don't like in and of itself). It might seem like a minor detail, but that font would just about complete the throwback link as much as you can if you're content going without purple. If I can't get my purple back, I'll take the old font just as well.

Although if I had my way? They'd pretty much wear the old J-note throwbacks, but re-colored to the mountain-era colors.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

5 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

One more thing: I'd also bring back the old block-serif font. Given that this fact isn't lost on team management, it only makes sense to bring that back on the current uniform templates, but then again, Adidas...

I am with you there on the block numbers -- I had a hard time adapting to the current Adidas numbers, but they've grown on me.

Plus, there aren't many other number fonts that work with the note logo outside of the block and current style.

Maaaaaaybe ... something like that was paired with logo at the All-Star Rising Star Challenge in Brooklyn last year? Paired with the right template it COULD work. But, really I'm a fan of the block.

hi-res-ac25e8fa876b564ad9de24035260ae67_

It would be nice to think the Kings could go back to baby blue and red, and maybe some sort of version or update of their old logo, but they are pretty entrenched in purple at this point. Their logo actually held up pretty well in my opinion for being a 90s logo. 

11 hours ago, Josh.0 said:

My money on the new Pistons logo is a marriage of these two logos ... like the Jazz, don't see BIG changes (except I'd love the basketball horse secondary back).

pistons6.jpg

pistons3.jpg

EDIT: The O in the DETROIT logo looks like a marriage of these two logos ... the 16-17 logo?

CbBebTLWEAA24_z.jpg 

This would be interesting. That logo is currently the Pistons' D-League affiliate Grand Rapids Drive's primary logo and has been since 2014. It would look alright if that's the route the pistons decide to go, but it would also be kinda a cop out in my opinion.

9465_grand_rapids_drive-primary-2014.png

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

What's going on with the Celtics logo? According to NBA rules, the city and team name must be present in the primary logo, so is this Celtics thing a misprint?

Old logos are grandfathered in. The rule applies only to new primaries.

EDIT: Hang on, didn't see that they're changing. This is intriguing now since there is also no basketball.

21 hours ago, Josh.0 said:

pistons6.jpg

pistons3.jpg

CbBebTLWEAA24_z.jpg 

Like so?

CbBne3VUUAAJEB6.jpg

Archived