Cleveland's look, with no blue or black, is my favorite in the league.  White-free uniforms can be terrible, but I really like the wine road uniform.  The yellow "Cavs" uniform is solid, though I prefer to spell out "Cavaliers."  The Cavs went "basic" like the Nets but the difference is that the Cavs have more interesting colors. Once they add blue, and then black, they have too many colors.  Is the blue part of their look?  Well, I think it's on the court and it's on the jersey they wear most often on the road...but it's not on the primaries.  That, in itself, bugs me.  Then they have a black jersey with a giant logo and sleeves.  They look like three different teams.  And I think they're an example of where I fall into the minitory, that certain two-color schemes can work without adding a third color (Flames, Lions, etc), and that the third color usual just makes it a mess.  If Cleveland stuck to the white, whine, and yellow uniforms I'd call them my #1 with no hesitation.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

I was being facetious to a point. 

This comment by @ScubaSteve almost made me spit out my Hawaiian punch!

Honestly though, I hated this cavs set at first but it's grown on me. Ironically, as soon as it's grown on me, they're getting new jerseys again. 

I like the white, red and blue jerseys. Black ones could rot in hell. 

lawrencecol9s-2-web.jpg

I wish they would have darkened the wine to its current shade and added more navy. This was a much better uniform base.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't understand the love for the original LeBron era -- it's very dated for me. I can get over the overly fussy trim, but the wordmark and the number font both are no-gos and the overall look is so busy compared to what they have now (not to excuse the black t-shirts).

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I thought it was a nice update of the wine and gold that they more or less had to themselves: no overlap with the Redskins or Loyola or whoever else uses similar colors. The wordmarks were very good: as with the color scheme, modern but in line with the original Cavaliers identity in a way that black, periwinkle, creamsicle, and a flying basketball were not. 

What ruined the current Cavs set for me was the timing, being introduced just as LeBron left. The newfound austerity combined with their deathmarch of a season felt like a franchise that curled up to die. I appreciate the original home and road a little more just because the third, fourth, and black t-shirt are even worse, but I'll never like them.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 6/5/2017 at 2:57 PM, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

i can't believe the cavs won't just wear their standard away uniforms.  I can understand wearing the black uniforms at this point just cause they won in them last year, so maybe it would bring them some "luck"... but why wear the blue alternates?  The standard away even reps Cleveland, the Cavs seem to take such pride in their city and vice versa, I'm surprised that they wouldnt want to wear a uniform that says Cleveland on the front

AR-161209724.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Plus it looks GOOD.  this might be my favorite uniform of theirs.  

I've been having this same issue since 2015.

I will say that the set would be drastically improved by the addition of white, as evidenced by this gorgeous alt:

cleveland-cavaliers-v-miami-heat-9fdf1b4

*NOTE: Would be even better if the striping was yellow and white instead of more wine.

I'm fully prepared to see new jerseys that simply exacerbate the issues of the current identity.

4 hours ago, Digby said:

I don't understand the love for the original LeBron era -- it's very dated for me. I can get over the overly fussy trim, but the wordmark and the number font both are no-gos and the overall look is so busy compared to what they have now (not to excuse the black t-shirts).

The navy alt from that era was sexy.

I like their current unis minus the black sleeve jersey (and I hate that they've now shoehorned it as a team color because they won a few games in a bfbs jersey. Superstition gone to far.) I like the current navy jersey too but I think it can be improved by swapping the gold and red on the font,

4 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

I will say that the set would be drastically improved by the addition of white, as evidenced by this gorgeous alt:

*NOTE: Would be even better if the striping was yellow and white instead of more wine.

I'm fully prepared to see new jerseys that simply exacerbate the issues of the current identity.

These style of Cleveland uniforms are top 3!! Retro but modern. All they need to do was build on this with a navy, and white version and voila!

shado_logo.gif

On 6/6/2017 at 2:39 PM, -Akronite- said:

Guess the only thing left is to wear one of these wine jerseys for game four.

48 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

They probably gonna introduce a new uniform to wear to rally them.. like a white sleeved version of the BIG "C" logo. Jk

Dear God.  May God have mercy on us all. jk

5 hours ago, Shadojoker said:

They probably gonna introduce a new uniform to wear to rally them.. like a white sleeved version of the BIG "C" logo. Jk

Oh HELL no!

Seriously, that Cavs alternate above looks good; I wouldn't mind seeing a white version of that.  And I'm also in the camp of those that like their white, wine, gold, and to a point navy jerseys.  The shirts have to go...but they might wear them Friday.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

On 6/6/2017 at 5:43 PM, Shadojoker said:

This uniform - the wine one is HORRIBLE and bland(as well as their current home). It makes the Clippers current set looks like Showtime Lakers unis. Anybody else who clicked liked needs to be shot.

Navy is their best uni,and the gold one. Any others are ugghhh. Just my all powerful opinion $0.02. LOL 

Come on now. For years Ive seen people on here complain about the Cavs Wine road uni. And I've never understood it.
Honestly its in my top 5 all time unis, best colour combo, simple, no out there design elements. Its the same as the Celtics or Bulls classic designs, yet its not viewed as highly?!? Probably due to the success those teams had but still unfair.

And to say that any thing, or any thing specific is better than the Clippers clusterduck uni set and logos.. They, they need to be shot ; )

I agree with whoever said that if the current set wasn't associated with the post-Lebron loser phase, it'd be viewed at least somewhat more positively. I'm a fan of it, though I think the previous set was their best ever. I'd like to see that set translated into a less-shiny fabric. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I agree with whoever said that if the current set wasn't associated with the post-Lebron loser phase, it'd be viewed at least somewhat more positively. I'm a fan of it, though I think the previous set was their best ever. I'd like to see that set translated into a less-shiny fabric. 

I'll go the other way.  I'm a fan of the previous set, but this is their best ever.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 8.6.2017 at 2:03 PM, sheepbender said:

Come on now. For years Ive seen people on here complain about the Cavs Wine road uni. And I've never understood it.
Honestly its in my top 5 all time unis, best colour combo, simple, no out there design elements. Its the same as the Celtics or Bulls classic designs, yet its not viewed as highly?!? Probably due to the success those teams had but still unfair.

What people don't understand, is, that the thing with the Celtics' and Bulls' unis is, that they were introduced in another era, when those designs could have very well been considered relevant to the times. What made them classic, was the success of those teams.

On 8.6.2017 at 2:34 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Not in the slightest. What summoned up such a reaction, was, that besides being such a ridiculously bland design, it also replaced a set that was one of the best in the league and all-around excellent. If Lebron had stayed, I would've been equally outraged by this uniform change.

Archived