• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the Warriors breaking ground on their new arena in San Francisco today, it remains to be seen if they're going to reclaim the San Francisco Warriors name when they do:

Just as fitting as their move from the Oracle Arena in Oakland to the neighboring Chase Arena in San Francisco, there’s a growing speculation that the franchise would soon drop ‘Golden State’ from its name, to be replaced with the squad’s new location.

The team’s president and COO Rick Welts addressed these rumors last week, claiming that the franchise has yet to approve the potential brand change, predicted to become ‘San Francisco Warriors’.

“The team’s success has caused us to really rethink whether or not that’s something we should or want to do,” Welts said on the Warriors Insider Podcast, transcribed by CSN Bay Area.  “I guess it’s fair to say there’s been no final decision made.”

Welts, however, said that as of now, the odds are against any change and the team would most likely keep its name.

“But if you were a betting man, I think you would probably want to wager that the name might remain the same,” Welts revealed.

12 hours ago, billman29 said:

So the tradeoff is having the manufacturer logo on the uniforms vs. having sleeved jerseys.

That's an easy choice.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Lakers' D-League affiliate, currently known as the Los Angeles D-Fenders, will become the South Bay Lakers when they move to El Segundo next season, and will add a light blue to their colors:

At the core of the rebrand is a desire for the franchise to strengthen its bond as the premiere team in the South Bay. The D-League affiliate will relocate with their parent club to the brand new UCLA Health Training Center in Summer 2017. The state-of-the-art facility will keep both teams in El Segundo, giving the South Bay Lakers an opportunity to be a staple in the community for years to come.

--

South Bay’s new colors will put a modern twist on a classic Lakers look. The use of the Lakers’ Purple and Gold alludes to the world-wide influence of the team’s parent brand. South Bay Blue will differentiate between the Lakers entities while honoring the ocean views that are so prominent in the South Bay community.

--

colors_SBLteaser.jpg

32 minutes ago, dont care said:

strange that they used the term "Lakers Purple" rather than "Forum Blue" 

I could be way off base...but I think the team adjusted the shade in the 90s (maybe when Nike took over?).  So technically it isn't "Forum Blue" anymore. 

"Forum Blue" is still one of my favorite names of a color.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Speaking of yellow unis, I'm watching GS @ CHA right now.  GS in their white unis, CHA in their teal unis.  I was just thinking about how GS still does not have a normal, non-throwback, non-sleeved yellow uniform (please correct me if I'm wrong, because I might be), and how ridiculous it is that they don't.  Yellow is already such an under-utilized color in the NBA, and I feel like a team like the GOLDEN state Warriors should be a team that really embraces yellow; if anything, they should almost have the "right" to practically own it.

I'm guessing they don't think it would sell well, and they're probably right (in terms of yellow jersey sales as compared to, say, black jersey sales).  But the reason this thought even came to my head was how beautiful and fun a teal-vs.-yellow matchup would look, especially on Charlotte's court.  I feel like I haven't seen a teal-vs.-yellow matchup in a long time.

1 hour ago, SCalderwood said:

Speaking of yellow unis, I'm watching GS @ CHA right now.  GS in their white unis, CHA in their teal unis.  I was just thinking about how GS still does not have a normal, non-throwback, non-sleeved yellow uniform (please correct me if I'm wrong, because I might be), and how ridiculous it is that they don't.  Yellow is already such an under-utilized color in the NBA, and I feel like a team like the GOLDEN state Warriors should be a team that really embraces yellow; if anything, they should almost have the "right" to practically own it.

I'm guessing they don't think it would sell well, and they're probably right (in terms of yellow jersey sales as compared to, say, black jersey sales).  But the reason this thought even came to my head was how beautiful and fun a teal-vs.-yellow matchup would look, especially on Charlotte's court.  I feel like I haven't seen a teal-vs.-yellow matchup in a long time.

It is annoying to me that the Warriors have a black alternate instead of a yellow one.

I really dislike the Warriors uniform set as a whole

Archived