forgive me, as i don't follow basketball closely at all...

but did the celtics ever use the sleeved-jersey concept to throw back to these beauties?

Celtics_team+(1).jpeg

when i was a kid, i had a big book about basketball history, and these jerseys always stuck out in my mind because i'd never seen basketball jerseys with sleeves before.

if the celtics have never thrown back to these under adidas, i really wonder why. seems like from a marketing perspective, it'd be a slam-dunk (pardon that unintentional pun). with all the hate on sleeved jerseys and people saying they have no place in the NBA, this would be a way to have your cake and eat it too by being "innovative" and "modern" while also claiming to be paying respect to the sport's heritage and traditional aesthetic.

i remember seeing some really weird grey jersey with white letters and arm hoops to mimic the tank-top for the celtics a while back..... why on earth would they ever wear that, when this is a perfectly viable option? or did they wear these, and i just missed it?

49 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

forgive me, as i don't follow basketball closely at all...

but did the celtics ever use the sleeved-jersey concept to throw back to these beauties?

Celtics_team+(1).jpeg

when i was a kid, i had a big book about basketball history, and these jerseys always stuck out in my mind because i'd never seen basketball jerseys with sleeves before.

if the celtics have never thrown back to these under adidas, i really wonder why. seems like from a marketing perspective, it'd be a slam-dunk (pardon that unintentional pun). with all the hate on sleeved jerseys and people saying they have no place in the NBA, this would be a way to have your cake and eat it too by being "innovative" and "modern" while also claiming to be paying respect to the sport's heritage and traditional aesthetic.

i remember seeing some really weird grey jersey with white letters and arm hoops to mimic the tank-top for the celtics a while back..... why on earth would they ever wear that, when this is a perfectly viable option? or did they wear these, and i just missed it?

Nope. Never used as a throwback. Which is a shame, because it would have been the perfect tie-in. Heck those socks would have KILLER!

2 hours ago, Berlin Wall said:
18 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Image result for kenyon martin nets

These jerseys are at least in my top-3 of all time. I also loved the red version.

Well, I must say that I disliked the red uniforms.  That was a latter-day addition.  This set properly had a blue road version and a grey version.

kidd martin blue.jpg  Kidd Martin grey.jpg

That red uniform was a out of step with team history, and even a slap at it, as the Nets on the road had always been blue, not red.

julius_erving_1973_01_01.jpg Albert-King-e1329164097104.jpg nba_nets_11.jpg

i loved those grey nets jerseys. no idea why. i just really like grey sports uniforms (when it has SOME place in the color scheme, that it)

14 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Kind of like what they have now? :upside:

NO.  I know what the intent was with the current Suns look, but I think it falls way short of being anywhere near as good as the sunburst set.  Admittedly, I don't really know what else I'd do to make it better.  The only other idea I have would be to try and combine the sunburst and the old western font in some way.

The Nets used red uniforms in the ABA, before they used the iconic stars & stripe design, so there was some kind of precident. 

1 hour ago, Discogod said:

The Nets used red uniforms in the ABA, before they used the iconic stars & stripe design, so there was some kind of precident. 

While that is technically true...

Nets 69-72 Road Jersey Bill Melchionni.jpg

...the purpose of the latter-day red uniforms was not to link to the team's past but rather to break all such links in preparation for a move.  

Those uniforms came with the removal of "New Jersey" from the uniform's front and from the court.  Also, the lettering on the on-screen score bug on their broadcasts went from "NJ" to "NETS".

So those red uniforms left a sour taste.

Holy :censored:. Clippers are wearing red today. 

6 hours ago, Josh.0 said:

I love Color vs. Color, but this should never happen ...

e11dbac74fa1492386f9ac4850d260df.jpg?ito

Is it just me, or do the Jazz look more purple than navy here?

52 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Is it just me, or do the Jazz look more purple than navy here?

They aren't purple? That's news to me haha

Just now, AndrewMLind said:

They are purple...

Are they throwbacks? Because the team colors are navy-green-yellow.

10 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Are they throwbacks? Because the team colors are navy-green-yellow.

They pay homage to these warm ups. Yes, warm ups.

17428_01_lg.jpg

And, might I add ... by far NOT the coolest warm ups in franchise history. These from New Orleans are by far the best ...

e6JI5aG12S5JkMTcdNy21aXzt9x6oRGowFdkLEFd

On 2/11/2017 at 9:16 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Well, I must say that I disliked the red uniforms.  That was a latter-day addition.  This set properly had a blue road version and a grey version.

kidd martin blue.jpg  Kidd Martin grey.jpg

That red uniform was a out of step with team history, and even a slap at it, as the Nets on the road had always been blue, not red.

julius_erving_1973_01_01.jpg Albert-King-e1329164097104.jpg nba_nets_11.jpg

I was always rather ambivalent about the home uniforms in the late-90's-2000's Nets set - I wasn't a big fan of the "Nets" wordmark or the double outline - but I absolutely loved those two "New Jersey" blue and gray jerseys. The side panels on all three of those uniforms were a thing of beauty (I would've preferred gray side panels on the navy jersey, but it looked regardless.

My favorite part of that identity? The side panels were replicated along the paint on their home court. Such a great little touch.

ete06ia989lyvxii153bkb9ws.gif

On 2/11/2017 at 8:14 PM, Shadojoker said:

This thread from months back...Vet out know this!

What?!? All we are asking for is a source to back up your claim.