If you could prevent ANY relocation in sports history from happening, which one would you prevent?

FlyEaglesFly76

I had some ideas, but after reading the whole thread I have to vote None of the above.

Look guys, Seattle isn't getting another NBA team.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's funny how the objection to the Browns' relocation isn't that it broke the hearts of thousands and thousands of devoted Browns fans, it's that it made record books slightly confusing.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 17/02/2016 at 0:03 PM, Coast2CoastAM2006 said:

No bring back the Quebec Nordiques? 

I said Whalers because the move south was lame.

I took the relocation city into account with my take - Washington DC was a big void from MLB.  I would add that the Colorado Avalanche have done hockey right, including bring some NHL love westward besides just Cali.  

Had the Nords gone to Nashville or Atlanta, then yes I might've said the Nordiques.

None of the Browns, Winnipeg Jets, or any other city like Houston which now has a league's team again, is valid for me.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Philadelphia A's.  If the worthless Phillies had any competition maybe they'd have more than 2 WS in 140 years.  That, or the A's would dominate and the Phillies would have moved or folded or something.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 2/17/2016 at 4:59 PM, DG_Now said:

I was in grad school 2006-08 and too poor to go to Sonics games; I only got to one in two years.

One of my life goals is to live in a city with an NBA franchise. I'm pretty happy in Seattle, but not being able to see the games in person is a real drag. I've been to several NBA games in my life and I think they're only second to soccer in the live experience.

Maybe it's due to my hundreds of games, but I would hesitate to rate the overall NBA experience #2.  I've seen many of duds, mainly when the Hawks were awful-to-average.  A Tuesday night bad Hawks vs. bad Warriors was dull on the court and quiet in the arena.  If I were a kid or a guy that sees one game a season, I'd probably have been way more excited.  As a sports fan that sees 40+ games a year, though.....bad basketball is a chore to watch.  How excited would you be to see a Brooklyn/Phoenix game tonight?

Playoff basketball, though?  I'm in.  Right up there with any sporting event.

My choice would be an Atlanta hockey team....the Flames.  If their owner hadn't gone bankrupt from his housing business, the Flames would likely still be here (by most accounts, the team was successful enough off the ice) and the hockey team would have been included on the lease of Philips Arena.  (Although where Philips would be located...or where the Flames would have played for a couple seasons while Philips got built on the Omni's old site...would be interesting as well.)  They'd be enough of an institution to likely be sold to an in-town owner and never get relocated.  I would assume Calgary gets an expansion team right around the time they got selected to host the Winter Games (or shortly thereafter).

1) Quebec Nordiques.

2) Montreal Expos.

3rd choice:

Hamilton Tigers.

whether they would have lasted as long as the NY/Brooklyn Americans

or longer, surviving into the "original six" era and beyond, who knows?

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

7 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

My choice would be an Atlanta hockey team....the Flames.  If their owner hadn't gone bankrupt from his housing business, the Flames would likely still be here (by most accounts, the team was successful enough off the ice) and the hockey team would have been included on the lease of Philips Arena.  (Although where Philips would be located...or where the Flames would have played for a couple seasons while Philips got built on the Omni's old site...would be interesting as well.)  They'd be enough of an institution to likely be sold to an in-town owner and never get relocated.  I would assume Calgary gets an expansion team right around the time they got selected to host the Winter Games (or shortly thereafter).

I am not sure if Calgary would get an expansion team, but I wonder if the Blues would have tried to move there in 1983 instead of Saskatoon.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a recurring daydream where I win a lot of money and then partner with Vince McMahon to bring the Whalers back to the good fans, right here in Hartford, Connecticut. 

Archived