Nebraska - Getting rid of their Huskers rebrand.

ramsker

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=210723923

In 2012 they decided they wanted to be hip and cool so they came out with this abomination:

new-logo.jpg

Which replaced this:

tehw6xtk9sefdv578hfzgepb3.gif

Which was also getting kind of outdated. One of this year's basketball alternate uniforms used the Script Huskers, without the N, and everyone loved it. So that is now the new secondary logo and everyone is happy again. 

I like the 2012 logo.  A lot more than that black script.  The black looks out of place and the script smacks a lot more of trying to be hip and cool than the 2012 logo.  I cannot say I am sad to see it go, since I did not even realize it existed, but that script is awful.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I like the 2012 logo.  A lot more than that black script.  The black looks out of place and the script smacks a lot more of trying to be hip and cool than the 2012 logo.  I cannot say I am sad to see it go, since I did not even realize it existed, but that script is awful.

That script very much pre-dates the 2012 update.

It's also associated with one of the greatest dynasties in college football, so it's beloved by fans.  When your final five seasons result in a 60-3 record with 3 National Titles and an appearance in a fourth, things tend to get fondly remembered.

TOM-OSBORNE.jpg

Also, the 2016 stylizing calls for the script and block N to be separate, instead of stacked on top of each other, as Ramsker pointed out.  I think the lone script looks absolutely beautiful on the throwback basketball jerseys:

FFEHMCXEEQKUCRN.20160218164057.jpg

--edit--

I also realize the script on the hat in the first photo does not exactly match the logo script, but this was the late 80s-early 90s and sports branding was not nearly the exact science it is today.  There were several variations of the script "Huskers" logo at the time.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

12 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

It's also associated with one of the greatest dynasties in college football, so it's beloved by fans.  When your final five seasons result in a 60-3 record with 3 National Titles and an appearance in a fourth, things tend to get fondly remembered.

Also, the 2016 stylizing calls for the script and block N to be separate, instead of stacked on top of each other, as Ramsker pointed out.  I think the lone script looks absolutely beautiful on the throwback basketball jerseys:

--edit--

I also realize the script on the hat in the first photo does not exactly match the logo script, but this was the late 80s-early 90s and sports branding was not nearly the exact science it is today.  There were several variations of the script "Huskers" logo at the time.

I know that.  My point is that it seems to trying to hard to be cool (or something). 

I don't dispute that the script was around for a lot of success and that the fanbase likes it.  I am simply saying that I don't like it.  Regarding the style guide, I do think the script was at it's worst when it was black on top of a red "N."  It was a great example of black sort of washing a logo or scheme out (like it does with the entire Clippers look).  I am still not fond of it (particularly the "H" and the "k"); I think it's too informal, for lack of a better word, though red-on-white and white-on-red makes it serviceable.

Regarding Osbourne's hat script, I kinda think that was not based on the script we are talking about.  Like you'd find that hat for a bunch of schools/teams with the same script style going across it.  But I am not certain.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

46 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

TOM-OSBORNE.jpg

--edit--

That script is owned by The Game hat company (most famous for its three-bar hats), and they use it on all of those circle hats.  That particular script, while similar to Nebraska's, had no connection to the university.  I'm not sure there were a whole bunch of licensed script "Huskers" logos.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

27 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

That script is owned by The Game hat company (most famous for its three-bar hats), and they use it on all of those circle hats.  That particular script, while similar to Nebraska's, had no connection to the university.  I'm not sure there were a whole bunch of licensed script "Huskers" logos.

Good catch.  I must have mistakenly thought they were the same.

FWIW, here's a variation of the script logo shown in the 1995 title game against Florida (about 5 seconds in).  It's the script under helmet, not script over "N."  So it was at least in some branding usage so far as broadcasting was concerned. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

11 hours ago, ramsker said:

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=210723923

In 2012 they decided they wanted to be hip and cool so they came out with this abomination:

new-logo.jpg

Which replaced this:

tehw6xtk9sefdv578hfzgepb3.gif

Which was also getting kind of outdated. 

That's putting it mildly.  

Here is the full "new" logo. I personally like it, although obviously nostalgia plays a part:

oXfzvaQ.jpg

However, they couldn't resist adding some new stuff. First, the uninspired:

8at9sFH.jpg

And then, the shoddy:

2lNf5jl.jpg

This is taking the relatively new Herbie head logo (which I'm in the minority in actually liking somewhat) and adding the full body. The problem is, the work on the body is just poorly done. The lines look hand drawn which clashes with the clean lines of the head. I know @ren69 could have done a much better job with something like this.

Also, it's very strange that they somewhat altered the head from the standalone version, and it looks worse:

pMl8JWJ.jpg

I was thinking "regional grocery store chain," myself.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The problem with the original black script placed over the N is that there were just random slivers of the red and white N between the white gaps in the letters, causing the whole logo to look disjoined and sloppy. Even as a fan of 1990s Nebraska football, I'm glad to see the N/script go, but the script does look decent when used alone in red.

The new Herbie standalone head looks fine from a design standpoint, but why does the full-bodied Herbie have different eyes, hair, and unsmooth lines. The brown shoes look like undefined rocks. And where's the corn stalk in the pocket? That was the most distinct part of the old Herbie logo.

Archived