TED Talk on Flag Design

pianoknight

20 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

If you remove the wagon, that's a pretty nice looking flag.

---EDIT---

I've created another thread in the Concepts Forum to specifically deal with updates to City Flags.  Feel free to add your own concepts to the thread, if you so choose:

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

My tattoo is a take on the Chicago flag, and there's a blog about people with Chicago flag tattoos. So, yeah, flags are important. When I did my recent soccer series, and saw a lot of city and state flags. So many bad ones out there.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

This inspired me to share my hometown's (Longmont, CO) flag. I have always been really impressed by it for being a local flag that isn't seen very often. I would imagine that 95% or more of the people of my town wouldn't be able to tell you what the flag looks like. I found an article from 2012 from the local newspaper that tells the story of our now 40 year old flag.

That flag flying in front of the civic center turns 37 in April. In 1974, the Longmont Rotary club sponsored a contest "to design a city flag to be sent up in the l975 Apollo/Soyuz space flight with Cmdr. Vance Brand, a native son of Longmont." The flag also accompanied Brand on the Challenger flight in 1984. Glenn Troester won the contest. The city adopted the flag April 1, 1975. The L's symbolize the mountains, peace and tranquility.

Now I'm even more impressed, this is a really nice flag for a town that had only about 30k people when it was unveiled.

Longmont.JPG

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

19 hours ago, kcchiefsfan said:

This inspired me to share my hometown's (Longmont, CO) flag. I have always been really impressed by it for being a local flag that isn't seen very often. I would imagine that 95% or more of the people of my town wouldn't be able to tell you what the flag looks like. I found an article from 2012 from the local newspaper that tells the story of our now 40 year old flag.

Now I'm even more impressed, this is a really nice flag for a town that had only about 30k people when it was unveiled.

Longmont.JPG

I didn't know you lived in Longmont.  I lived in Longmont from about '93 to 2005-ish.  Sure as hell wouldn't have recognized that flag, though.  I'm not a fan, to be honest.

IUe6Hvh.png

If you chopped off the left-most part along the red vertical line (so that red is the left-most thing on the flag), then it gets marginally better, IMO.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

1 hour ago, See Red said:

I didn't know you lived in Longmont.  I lived in Longmont from about '93 to 2005-ish.  Sure as hell wouldn't have recognized that flag, though.  I'm not a fan, to be honest.

That's awesome, I've lived in Longmont my whole life (since 94). What's even crazier is that my Grandparents moved to Ocala in about 04 so I've been down to the Ocala/Gainesville area many times over the last decade. It's a small world, I've seen your posts around since joining and always recognized you because of the Gainesville connection but would've never known!

9 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

If you chopped off the left-most part along the red vertical line (so that red is the left-most thing on the flag), then it gets marginally better, IMO.

Yeah definitely, maybe I overstated how much I like it. I totally agree about the white space to the left of the red L, I'm also not too fond of the random white circle on the right side and how the red and blue meet to the right of it. With that said though, it essentially follows all of the basic rules of the TED Talk and looks a hell of a lot better than most small city flags.

Just now, kcchiefsfan said:

That's awesome, I've lived in Longmont my whole life (since 94). What's even crazier is that my Grandparents moved to Ocala in about 04 so I've been down to the Ocala/Gainesville area many times over the last decade. It's a small world, I've seen your posts around since joining and always recognized you because of the Gainesville connection but would've never known!

That's awesome!  Yeah, I went to Silver Creek High School, moved to Greeley in 2005-ish for school, moved to Ocala, FL in 2007 before I went into the Air Force and eventually ended up in Gainesville!

Back to flags, here's the Gainesville flag, which is just the city seal on a white flag:

Flag_of_Gainesville,_Florida.png

I don't know enough about the history of Gainesville to know how significant the railroad is.  I would think just having the train would make for an alright design and wouldn't violate the no text rule.

IUe6Hvh.png

2 minutes ago, See Red said:

That's awesome!  Yeah, I went to Silver Creek High School, moved to Greeley in 2005-ish for school, moved to Ocala, FL in 2007 before I went into the Air Force and eventually ended up in Gainesville!

Back to flags, here's the Gainesville flag, which is just the city seal on a white flag:

I don't know enough about the history of Gainesville to know how significant the railroad is.  I would think just having the train would make for an alright design and wouldn't violate the no text rule.

That is very cool, definitely a small world.

The Gainesville flag is pretty disappointing, the seal is rendered nicely but I agree the train on its own could be very nice.

On February 25, 2016 at 11:44 PM, See Red said:

as far as seals and flags go thats nit the worst ive ever seen. id love to see someone redraw it in a 2-color monoweight style

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2016 at 0:50 AM, kcchiefsfan said:

Longmont.JPG

Holy :censored: I love in Longmont too!

And yeah, we have a really nice flag, by city standards. It's a bit abstract though.

• 2 weeks later...
On April 16, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Zeus89725 said:

Holy :censored: I love in Longmont too!

And yeah, we have a really nice flag, by city standards. It's a bit abstract though.

Sorry for the super late response. That's awesome, just out of curiosity, did you grow up in Longmont?

Archived