Anthony Davis

JosiahWVU

He's also not the only one with this. Patrick Ewing used to have to have two jerseys per game because he wasn't allowed to wear undershirts and he sweated through the material so much it started sagging from so much sweat. They're allowed in every other sport, I'm not sure what the big deal is in basketball.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I don't follow NBA rules on undershirts.  But it would make sense to me that they be allowed in the predominant color of the jersey.  Or at least that any/all undershirts worn by the team be the same color.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Oh c'mon Boogie also used undershirt:

hi-res-461228343-demarcus-cousins-of-the

and that guy with the mentality of 4 years old kid:

dwight-howard-undershirt.jpg

also don't forget about Larry Hughes, way before idea of short sleeved jerseys:

l_hughes.jpg

There is nothing wrong with using undershirts, however, should be in jersey color.

4r2eer.png

2 hours ago, jp1409 said:

These are the same color as the jerseys. Davis black undershirt clashes with every Pelicans jerseys...

Okay, gotcha. I think black, jersey color and/or team complimentary color works though. 

Kobe and LeBron both wear undershirts, but are rarely even noticeable.. I don't see why it's such a huge issue for these guys to find a product that supports their posture or whatever, while minimizing sleeve length and appearance.. I'm ok with seeing a bit of it (as would be expected with most undershirts in most situations), but seeing these t-shirt length sleeves is atrocious.. It's like watching grown men who are as embarrassed about their bodies as the fat kids at the pool who swim in t-shirts.. A v-neck tank top shape would cover as much torso as could possibly be necessary to provide thoracic and/or lumbar support, while remaining almost unnoticeable under modern NBA cut jerseys.. The only exception should be upper arm or shoulder injuries that require a brace that extends down toward the elbow.

** Disclosure: Basketball official here **

It's not the NBA, but here is the official ruling from IAABO (International Association of Approved Basketball Officials), which covers most leagues from high school down to youth level...

Undershirts and compression gear (sleeves and leggings) must be either white or the dominant team uniform color. If multiple players are wearing them, they all must match. Generally, white gear/shirts for white uniforms, and colored gear/shirts for colored uniforms are acceptable.

Gear determined to be medical devices (braces, face shields, or casts) are NOT bound by those color rules, as they're generally made in limited colors, most often black or tan.

IAABO takes many rulings from NCAA and the NBA. Usually, things happen in the NBA first, then work their way down to lower levels. We know the NBA doesn't allow sleeved undershirts, unlike the NCAA and lower levels. But in this case, if Davis' shirt is specifically used for medical purposes, it seems like he's found a loophole.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived