Best Uniform Combo

JosiahWVU

What if every team opened it's uniform history and you got to select the home, away, and alts from any of the past uniforms. A Combination of Eras. 

My examples:
Penguins:

Home  Away  Alternate

Pirates:

Home  Away  Alternate 1  Alternate 2

All of these would be on current templates.

What would yours be?

IxkieML.png

On Saturday, February 27, 2016 at 9:29 PM, JosiahWVU said:

What if every team opened it's uniform history and you got to select the home, away, and alts from any of the past uniforms. A Combination of Era's per say. 

My examples:
Penguins:

Home  Away  Alternate

Pirates:

Home  Away  Alternate 1  Alternate 2

All of these would be on current templates.

What would yours be?

"Per say"? Needless apostrophes? Come on. I mean, of course no one writes perfectly. Nevertheless, that's some embarassing :censored: right there.

The first apostrophe could have been introduced by auto-correct. But for that second one there is no excuse. And per say"?!  That really freaks me out. 

I hate to make a comment on only the language. But, honestly, when something is written like that, I can't even see the topic. You need to clean your mess up.

[Walks away mumbling: "'Per say', indeed! I mean, what does such a person think he is saying? I can't even conceive..."]

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

15 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

"Per say"? Needless apostrophes? Come on. I mean, of course no one writes perfectly. Nevertheless, that's some embarassing :censored: right there.

The first apostrophe could have been introduced by auto-correct. But for that second one there is no excuse. And per say"?!  That really freaks me out. 

I hate to make a comment on only the language. But, honestly, when something is written like that, I can't even see the topic. You need to clean your mess up.

[Walks away mumbling: "'Per say', indeed! I mean, what does such a person think he is saying? I can't even conceive..."]

This is not a grammar thread. This is about uniforms. OK i made a mistake but you get the point.

IxkieML.png

On 2/28/2016 at 5:37 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

That was a ridiculous comment. Shaaaame.

On 2/28/2016 at 7:37 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Unnecessary.

4 hours ago, sleuthpanther said:

That was a ridiculous comment. Shaaaame.

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Unnecessary.

It was a sensible and necessary comment.

And I'm here to double down.

What is a person even thinking when he writes "per say"? I mean, a normal person writing "per se" is thinking "Latin for 'in itself'." But I cannot even fathom what goes through the mind of someone who writes "per say". What does such a person think he is saying with that? It just boggles the mind.

Anticipating the typical knee-jerk retort, I will say that of course I am aware that this is not a board about the English language. Nevertheless, using the language properly is a baseline expectation of all communities of intelligent adults. This contrasts sharply with places such as the comment sections of newspapers and YouTube, which belong to the domain of idiots.  

In a forum such as this, all the users are educated adults -- or, at least, we are expected to present ourselves as such. This does not mean that everything need be perfect. Simple typos or those errors which are generated by auto-correct do not detract from the topic being discussed. Also, quickly written messages will sometimes have errors of word usage that would have been caught with further editing. None of this is a big deal.

But indications of grammatical ignorance such as "should of" or "have went" begin to overshadow the content of any topic. This is a big deal. And "per say" is even worse; this sort of thing constitutes a kind of pollution.

Consider the fact that this board censors the S-word and the F-word. This rests on the notion that certain kinds of expression are offensive and inappropriate. I submit, however, that those venerable four-letter words are unobjectionable; and I further submit that what is truly offensive is writing which disregards things about English that we were all taught long before high school.

The expectation that we ought to write like educated people should be accepted without any question here, as in any other civilised corner of the internet. And calling someone out for failing to meet this highly reasonable standard is not something for which I shall be apologising. 

15 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It was a sensible and necessary comment.

And I'm here to double down.

What is a person even thinking when he writes "per say"? I mean, a normal person writing "per se" is thinking "Latin for 'in itself'." But I cannot even fathom what goes through the mind of someone who writes "per say". What does such a person think he is saying with that? It just boggles the mind.

Anticipating the typical knee-jerk retort, I will say that of course I am aware that this is not a board about the English language. Nevertheless, using the language properly is a baseline expectation of all communities of intelligent adults. This contrasts sharply with places such as the comment sections of newspapers and YouTube, which belong to the domain of idiots.  

In a forum such as this, all the users are educated adults -- or, at least, we are expected to present ourselves as such. This does not mean that everything need be perfect. Simple typos or those errors which are generated by auto-correct do not detract from the topic being discussed. Also, quickly written messages will sometimes have errors of word usage that would have been caught with further editing. None of this is a big deal.

But indications of grammatical ignorance such as "should of" or "have went" begin to overshadow the content of any topic. This is a big deal. And "per say" is even worse; this sort of thing constitutes a kind of pollution.

Consider the fact that this board censors the S-word and the F-word. This rests on the notion that certain kinds of expression are offensive and inappropriate. I submit, however, that those venerable four-letter words are unobjectionable; and I further submit that what is truly offensive is writing which disregards things about English that we were all taught long before high school.

The expectation that we ought to write like educated people should be accepted without any question here, as in any other civilised corner of the internet. And calling someone out for failing to meet this highly reasonable standard is not something for which I shall be apologising. 

uz9zu.jpg

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

26 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

And calling someone out for failing to meet this highly reasonable standard is not something for which I shall be apologising

Of course you would use the variant spelling. Also, to me it's pretty obvious what would be going through the mind of somebody who uses "per say." That person has probably heard the term, and understands the term, but hasn't seen it in print and wasn't aware that phrase has Latin roots. I'd give that person a pass, but that's just me. As for you, step on down from that soapbox, put down that cross you're carrying on behalf of all fellow English majors and collect your grammar rodeo ribbon. 

If you're trolling, Ferdinand Cesarano, you're doing it right. 

If you're serious about wanting to elevate the level of discourse around here, there are better ways to go about it.

If you're just a dick, carry on and I look forward to reading the recap of your inevitable meltdown in the "Please ban hammer don't hurt 'em" thread.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

And calling someone out for failing to meet this highly reasonable standard is not something for which I shall be apologising

1 hour ago, DDR said:

Of course you would use the variant spelling.

About a dozen years ago I started following English football, so I took to extensive reading of English newspapers. From this I became impressed at how aesthetically pleasing the English spelling conventions are. Soon thereafter I decided to adopt most of these conventions in tribute to my new favourite sport, and also in honour of the English rock bands and comedy performers whom I have loved since I was a child. What began as a conscious Anglophillic affectation has now come to feel natural. 

Archived