PackMan

American Basketball League - 1962 ABL Finals

227 posts in this topic

Alright guys. I'm back. For a back-story. In 1950, 10 elite basketball teams throughout the Midwest joined forces to create the American Basketball League. This project is pretty much like Veras' AFA, I have already finished a draft and I'm working on getting the rosters set up. And now, here are the divisions for you.

Current year: 1962

National Conference

ABL West

Colorado Kodiaks

Kansas City Rivermen

Los Angeles Stars

Seattle Cascaders

St. Louis Archers

ABL North

Chicago Redshirts

Cincinnati Blues

Detroit Lakers

Milwaukee Stags

Minnesota Oxen

American Conference

ABL East
Boston Dragons

Cleveland Bulldogs

New York Patriots

Philadelphia Minutemen

Pittsburgh Rhinos

ABL South

Atlanta Gladiators

Baltimore Admirals

Dallas Outlaws

Indianapolis Checkers

Miami Marauders

Titles by team:

Chicago - 3 (1956, 1959, 1960)

Cincinnati - 1 (1955)

Columbus/Baltimore - 1 (1951)

Detroit - 2 (1954, 1958)

Grand Rapids/Kansas City - 1 (1952)

Philadelphia - 1 (1953)

Pittsburgh - 3 (1957, 1961, 1962)

And, in order for me to not get another warning, here's the league logo.

ABL logo.png

I had trouble coming up with a good logo, but this was the result I got. The eagle in the logo is based on the one used on those old quarters you find in your change.

C&C is welcome.

Why Rhinelander and not Cincinnati? (I'm assuming it's Cincinnati, though I see you already have a Cincinnati.) Non-city designations for American teams were unheard of at the time.

I don't see why Rhinelander, WI would have a team. I believe the next smallest city is Akron, which is considerably larger.

3 teams in Ohio? (4 if Akron is Akron, OH) no NYC or Philly teams? Rhinelander? Is that Louisville? Or some city I never heard of? Grand Rapids, different place to have a team but they could be interesting... all in all great start, can't wait for concepts

44 minutes ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I don't see why Rhinelander, WI would have a team. I believe the next smallest city is Akron, which is considerably larger.

The team will eventually move, and the team is in the league (even though they are in a small location) because they won several championships in the WBL throughout their history, and it made sense to have such a good team in the league. Akron will move as well eventually, possibly to Pittsburgh.

1 hour ago, Whittier S said:

Why Rhinelander and not Cincinnati? (I'm assuming it's Cincinnati, though I see you already have a Cincinnati.) Non-city designations for American teams were unheard of at the time.

I will post Cincy right after Rhinelander, and actually, not meaning to be a correcting idiot, but Rhinelander is a city. It's population was 8,000-something during the 1950s, but has now dropped to 7,000-something.

5 minutes ago, CodeG said:

3 teams in Ohio? (4 if Akron is Akron, OH) no NYC or Philly teams? Rhinelander? Is that Louisville? Or some city I never heard of? Grand Rapids, different place to have a team but they could be interesting... all in all great start, can't wait for concepts

Akron, OH is the place. NYC is possibly an expansion option, and Philly could be a spot for a relocated team. Louisville seems like an odd location itself, but since the ABA's Kentucky Colonels played there at one point, I'll think about it. You can find out about Rhinelander in the first quote here, and I am about to post concepts.

Here are the Rhinos! The Rhinelander Rhinos were founded in 1922 by local businessman Ozzy Senior, who christened the team as the Rhinelander Northmen, the name indicating the team's location in northern Wisconsin, and entered the team into the inaugural Wisconsin Basketball League. However, after years of being humiliated by the other teams, the Northmen adopted the nickname "Rhinos" in 1925, and became a widely-known team throughout the country. Yes, I said country. Throughout the 40s, the team won several more championships in the financially failing WBL, and in 1950, the team was invited to join the new American Basketball League. Now let's explain the logo.

56eb488ece43f_RhinelanderRhinosLogo.jpeg

Now I know what you're thinking. Why so simple? Well, the logo will get better, and you know what they say, (even though I'm like the only one who said it) "As a team improves, so will it's logo." Now let's check out the more unique uniforms.

56eb488e10745_RhinelanderRhinosUnis.jpeg

If there's one interesting thing you've noticed, it's that the Rhinos logo and wordmark are on the sides of the jersey. And just a side note, the logo and colors may be stale, but the uniform is very unique. That's all really, and tomorrow I will post concepts for the Cincinnati Blues.

Rhinelander Rhinos Visual Identity.jpeg

The jerseys might be a little too modern, maybe get rid of the rhino, and if they stay around into the 70's, personally I think they should take inspiration from marquette's untucked jerseys they wore in 1977, and Rhinelander should be the script on the front of both jerseys, having rhinos written twice on the black jerseys looks wierd imo, and the shorts on the black jersey should be black too

Can't wait

On 3/18/2016 at 9:21 PM, Jvhn177 said:

The jerseys might be a little too modern, maybe get rid of the rhino, and if they stay around into the 70's, personally I think they should take inspiration from marquette's untucked jerseys they wore in 1977, and Rhinelander should be the script on the front of both jerseys, having rhinos written twice on the black jerseys looks wierd imo, and the shorts on the black jersey should be black too

I fixed it. It looks a little better now.

56ee997cc3bd5_RhinelanderRhinosUnis.thum

On 3/18/2016 at 0:03 AM, Ipapterotes said:

Can't wait

Then here's the first concept for today, the Cincinnati Blues!

56ee99c034734_CincinnatiBluesLogo.png.e0

The Blues are one of the more older teams in the ABL, dating back to 1919 as an all-star club for a local athletic academy in Cincy. The team went professional in 1923 as the Cincinnati All-Stars, and changed their name to the Blues in 1930, after their blue jerseys. In 1931, they were invited to join the Ohio Association of Basketball. In the 1940s, the team acquired famous shooting guard Harvey Bone from their in-state rival, the Cleveland Bulldogs (who we'll talk about later), and the team took off. The Blues won 3 National Basketball Championships with Bone, and that resulted in their invitation to the ABL in 1950.

56eea75a2faa5_CincinnatiBluesUnis.thumb.

That's it for this post, really. C&C is welcome.

Also, what team should I post next?

Make the blue a little more dull and it would look better

Also, from what I've researched, there were not many stripes on the sides of basketball jerseys in the 50's, and maybe add the old lakers number font, in the 50's jerseys usually had belts

9 minutes ago, Jvhn177 said:

Make the blue a little more dull and it would look better

2 minutes ago, Jvhn177 said:

Also, from what I've researched, there were not many stripes on the sides of basketball jerseys in the 50's, and maybe add the old lakers number font, in the 50's jerseys usually had belts

Does this work?

56eebbbd928d0_CincinnatiBluesUnis.thumb.

Seems pretty plain to me, but ok then.

49 minutes ago, generalshepherd141 said:

Chicago or Grand Rapids

I'll start with Chicago.

56eebbf23d8f0_ChicagoRedshirtsLogo.png.4

There's nothing much to say about the Redshirts, and you can say adding them was the 2nd biggest mistake in the league. Why? Because as a member of the Metropolitan Basketball Association in the 1930s, they experienced nothing but losing seasons and mediocrity. Nothing seemed to look up for the team. No matter how many times the team got star players, they just never improved. The Redshirts were invited to the ABL in favor of the elite New York Patriots of the MBA in 1950, because the ABL wanted to give the team a chance at winning. Turns out, it didn't happen to them, and they will get the first draft pick next year, so they might improve.

56eebd373a38b_ChicagoRedshirtsUnis.thumb

And now, Grand Rapids, perhaps the league's biggest mistake.

56eebd6b44200_GrandRapidsRivermenLogo.pn

The Rivs started in 1933 as losers, and they still are losers. Nothing says "losing seasons" like Grand Rapids, right? Well, the team was so bad, that in 1944 they achieved the rare feat of going winless. In 1950, they were invited to the ABL from the Great Lakes League. The reason for that? Because most of the better teams in the GLL were in smaller municipalities. Now, the uniforms.

56eebe95dae82_GrandRapidsRivermenUnis.th

I feel like Chicago is lacking a defining feature, maybe try some different striping, and I think it should say redshirts on the red jersey, Grand Rapids looks solid

28 minutes ago, Jvhn177 said:

I feel like Chicago is lacking a defining feature, maybe try some different striping, and I think it should say redshirts on the red jersey, Grand Rapids looks solid

Does this work?

56eee853db649_ChicagoRedshirtsUnis.thumbAlso, which team should I do next?

1 hour ago, PackMan said:

Also, which team should I do next?

Indianapolis

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Ipapterotes said:

Indianapolis

Then here are the Checkers!

56eefdaf05360_IndianapolisCheckerslogo.p

The Indianapolis Checkers began in 1928, and joined the Hoosier Basketball League in 1929. Nothing important really happened during the team's early days, as the team was usually in the area between winning and losing. In 1948 however, they became a powerhouse with point guard Jeremiah Carl leading the team to their first National Championship, only to lose to the Portland Fighting Lumbermen of the Pacific Basketball Association. The team was invited to join the ABL in 1950, with hopes of bringing home the Den Poindexter Memorial Trophy.

56eeffa254e05_IndianapolisCheckersUnis.t

1 person likes this

I would make the design on the flag wavy. I feel like in the 50's, that would be the way to go. 

5 minutes ago, Uglybus said:

I would make the design on the flag wavy. I feel like in the 50's, that would be the way to go. 

I'll fix that.