PackMan

American Basketball League - 1962 ABL Finals

PackMan    78
17 minutes ago, Uglybus said:

I would make the design on the flag wavy. I feel like in the 50's, that would be the way to go. 

Here you go.

56ef04a026a55_IndianapolisCheckerslogo.p

PackMan    78
33 minutes ago, XenonDesigns said:

Good work on the jerseys and logos! I'd like to maybe see some courts if you have the time.

I'll think about it, and also, which team should I post next?

Ipapterotes    15
1 hour ago, PackMan said:

I'll think about it, and also, which team should I post next?

Akron or Cleveland

YungMan    2

I am looking forward to this project. I have always wanted to see one or maybe do it myself. As for the next team you should post, Akron or Cleveland.

PackMan    78
15 hours ago, Ipapterotes said:

Akron or Cleveland

I'll start this off with the Bobcats.

56ef37276efbf_AkronBobcatsLogo.png.cb876

The Akron Bobcats, another ABL charter member, were founded in 1924, and became a founding member of the Ohio Association of Basketball in 1930. The team never really saw much happen to them until the 1930s, when they acquired several star players which got the team into the very first National Basketball Championship in 1935. The team saw a falling-out in the mid-40s, but got back up quickly. The Bobcats were among the many other teams invited to the ABL in 1950, and the team also got the first ever ABL draft pick, power forward Darren Ingham from Montana, so who knows where the team will go next...

56ef3b4e7df78_AkronBobcatsUnis.thumb.png

And now, the Cleveland Bulldogs!

56ef3b7185de2_ClevelandBulldogsLogo.png.

The Cleveland Bulldogs were founded in 1918, and the team turned out to be very successful in it's early years, but they ended up moving to Columbus in 1927 to become the Capitals. However, in 1929, by popular demand, the team was revived. The Bulldogs have been all over the place when it comes to winning games, as the team has recently landed the National Championship. This prompted the guys at the ABL to invite the Bulldogs to the league in 1950.

56efc8365c02e_ClevelandBulldogsUnis.thum

Now I know what you're thinking. What's with the argyle instead of the wordmark? Well, when the Bulldogs began back in 1918, the team ordered jerseys. Turns out those jerseys never made it and the team had found a box of argyle sweaters. The sweaters would be used as jerseys, only with the sleeves cut off, and when they wore the sweaters, they won a national title in 1923, and when the team decided to order jerseys again in 1924, the team asked to put argyle on the jerseys to honor their recent championship team, and since then, the argyle has remained a team symbol.

YungMan    2

I have never really seen a concept from my hometown (Akron). Cleveland looks great I really like the use of Argyle. Though a word mark across the chest would look better, other than that they look great,

PackMan    78

Sorry about the delay. I'm working on simulating the 1951 season, so I'll be back with more ABL stuff soon.

PackMan    78
On 3/21/2016 at 3:30 PM, Jvhn177 said:

The argyle on the side is tribute enough imo, you should get rid of the argyle replacing the woodmark

On 3/22/2016 at 8:32 AM, YungMan said:

I have never really seen a concept from my hometown (Akron). Cleveland looks great I really like the use of Argyle. Though a word mark across the chest would look better, other than that they look great,

Might this be an improvement?

56fc2b6367078_ClevelandBulldogsUnis.thum

On 3/21/2016 at 4:30 PM, Ipapterotes said:

Milwaukee or Columbus

I'll start with Milwaukee.

56fc2bd43e56d_MilwaukeeStagsLogo.png.891

The Milwaukee Stags are the oldest of all the teams in the ABL. The Stags were enfranchised in 1909 as the Milwaukee Presbyterian All-Stars, and as their name suggested, the team was made up of players from a Presbyterian church. The team became the Milwaukee Presbyterians in 1912 when they entered the Wisconsin Amateur Basketball Alliance, and in 1915, changed their name to the Stags. In 1922, the team became a charter member of the Wisconsin Basketball League, and were also the league's first champions. In the 1930s, the team was successful enough to make the National Championship, winning 5 of them in 7 seasons. However, in the 1940s, the team struggled and had nearly folded, but the team did get back up again, meaning that they were one of the 10 teams to be invited to the ABL in 1950.

56fc2e42a4a9e_MilwaukeeStagsUnis.thumb.p

Next up is the Columbus Capitals.

56fc2e911734e_ColumbusCapitalsLogo.thumb

The Caps were founded in 1928 after the original Cleveland Bulldogs relocated to Columbus, but technically, the original history of the Bulldogs remained in Cleveland. The Caps, like any other team, started off terrible at first, but eventually improved. Although the team has never won a National Championship, the Caps were still good enough to make the ABL in 1950. Just a quick note on the logo, it's based on the Ohio State Capitol in Columbus.
56fc2fe9761b7_ColumbusCapitalsUnis.thumb

And here's the 10th and final team in the ABL, the Detroit Lakers.

56fc3028c746d_DetroitLakersLogo.png.40da

The Lakers are the youngest of the ABL charter members, as they were founded in 1946 to replace the folded Detroit Great Lakers in the GLL. (Great Lakes League) So there's nothing much to say about the Lakers, and here's their unis.56fc30cf6f2a2_DetroitLakersUnis.thumb.pn

I know, the unis are very 60s LA Lakers-esque, and also, the Lakers are one of the only teams in the ABL to use a different wordmark font on their jerseys, the other team being the Cleveland Bulldogs. The Lakers are also the only team in the league to use trim for the numbers and wordmark on the jersey. I will have the 1950-51 season up as soon as possible.

Edited by PackMan
wasn't finished

JosiahWVU    306

The unis are very simple(not necessarily a bad thing) but you use orange in the logo but not on the unis. And vice-versa for the yellow.

PackMan    78
13 minutes ago, JosiahWVU said:

The unis are very simple(not necessarily a bad thing) but you use orange in the logo but not on the unis. And vice-versa for the yellow.

Actually, the orange is on the sleeves and numbers of the road jersey.

JosiahWVU    306
17 minutes ago, PackMan said:

Actually, the orange is on the sleeves and numbers of the road jersey.

I don't see it. May just be me.

darkpiranha    177

Yeah, it's orange on the logo and yellow on the unis.  If you're intending them to be the same color, something happened in the exporting or uploading.   If I were to pick one, I'd go with the yellow (or yellow-orange) that you use on the sleeves and numbers.  

PackMan    78
1 hour ago, darkpiranha said:

Yeah, it's orange on the logo and yellow on the unis.  If you're intending them to be the same color, something happened in the exporting or uploading.   If I were to pick one, I'd go with the yellow (or yellow-orange) that you use on the sleeves and numbers.  

I went with regular orange, as I thought the green-orange color scheme was unique for the Stags.

56fc6a4779db6_MilwaukeeStagsUnis.thumb.p

jdp    77

I'm a little behind on this--and maybe I just didn't see an explanation--but why does the Grand Rapids Rivermen have what looks like blue and orange on the wordmark, but the uniforms are purple and yellow?

PackMan    78
1 hour ago, jdp said:

I'm a little behind on this--and maybe I just didn't see an explanation--but why does the Grand Rapids Rivermen have what looks like blue and orange on the wordmark, but the uniforms are purple and yellow?

It's not purple, it's actually more of a powder blue, but I'll fix that because i just realized it's actually just light purple. Also, on the wordmark is actually powder blue and gold (or yellow-orange)

YungMan    2

All of the new teams uniforms look great, especially the Stag. The Cleveland uniforms are improved with the a Cleveland wordmark across the chest.