PackMan

American Basketball League - 1962 ABL Finals

225 posts in this topic

Also, here's the 1951-52 season!

 

Western Division

y - Grand Rapids Rivermen

x - Milwaukee Stags

x - Chicago Redshirts

x - Rhinelander Rhinos

Indianapolis Checkers

 

Eastern Division

y - Akron Bobcats

x - Cincinnati Blues

x - Detroit Lakers

x - Cleveland Bulldogs

Columbus Capitals

 

It was a crazy season indeed. The defending champion Caps had fallen from first to last place after a series of injuries throughout the early part of the season. The powerful Caps defense had fallen apart as a result. However, in the west, Grand Rapids had become one of basketball's most powerful teams, thanks to a playoff upset in the previous season and thanks to Rivermen owner Vinny Payne, new players. Next post will be the quarterfinals!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh wait. I forgot one more thing. The ABL has announced potential cities for expansion and relocation.

 

St. Louis

Los Angeles

Minneapolis/St. Paul

New York City

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Washington, D.C.

Baltimore

Dallas/Fort Worth

Buffalo

 

And speaking of relocation, the Rhinelander Rhinos and the Columbus Capitals have announced plans to relocate in the 1952-53.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm Both LA and DFW seem like big jumps in directions where the ABL doesn't have any teams.

I'll write up a character for this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1951-52 Quarterfinals

 

Eastern Division

 

Akron vs. Cleveland

Game 1 - 106-99 AKR

Game 2 - 109-95 AKR

Game 3 - 114-103 CLE

Game 4 - 116-98 AKR

 

Cincinnati vs. Detroit

Game 1 - 113-107 DET

Game 2 - 112-101 DET

Game 3 - 120-107 DET

 

Western Division

 

Grand Rapids vs. Rhinelander

Game 1 - 113-105 GR

Game 2 - 108-101 GR

Game 3 - 114-109 GR

 

Milwaukee vs. Chicago

Game 1 - 106-96 MIL

Game 2 - 111-103 MIL

Game 3 - 110-104 CHI

Game 4 - 116-100 MIL

 

Semifinals are next!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1951-52 Semifinals

 

Eastern Division

 

Akron vs. Detroit

Game 1 - 118-90 DET

Game 2 - 104-99 AKR

Game 3 - 110-92 AKR

Game 4 - 106-98 AKR

 

Western Division

 

Grand Rapids vs. Milwaukee

Game 1 - 98-91 MIL

Game 2 - 115-95 GR

Game 3 - 119-99 MIL

Game 4 - 112-100 GR

Game 5 - 119-90 GR

 

Next post will be the ABL Finals!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally a Nets fan I like the look of the Checkers and Rhinos as wells as Grand Rapids

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1951-52 ABL Finals

 

Akron vs. Grand Rapids

Game 1 - 104-92 AKR

Game 2 - 101-93 GR

Game 3 - 101-94 AKR

Game 4 - 116-90 GR

Game 5 - 117-107 GR

 

The Grand Rapids Rivermen are the 1952 ABL champions!

champ banner.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, get ready, because it's time to start the expansion council. Submit your backstories and your votes for the expansion and relocation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eddie Brewer was born in Portland, Maine on July 18, 1918. After graduating from the University of Maine, Eddie became a well known lawyer. With his local stature, Eddie was able to become the mayor of Portland. Today, Eddie has since day retired from being a mayor, but is known for his law firm (Brewer Law Co.) and has founded the Brewer Law School of Maine, which is highly regarded as one of the top-tier law schools in the country. 

 

With 1st being the most preferred option, here are the votes:

1) New York City - New York City is way too big of a market to pass up. 

2) Philadelphia - Similar too New York, Philly is a huge market. 

3) Baltimore - Baltimore is a large market and could help bring in more fans from the southern states. 

4) Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh is another large market and could help bring fans in from Western Pennsylvania and West Virginia. 

5) Minnesota - Minnesota might be difficult with travel costs for Eastern teams, but is an untapped market that could also bring in fans from the west. 

6) Buffalo - Buffalo could help bring in fans from upper New York and Canada. 

 

Not voting for:

Los Angeles and Dallas - These two are just too far away for the time being. 

St. Louis - St. Louis would be the 7th choice; its' a good market, but the other six have better attributes. 

DC - With Baltimore, D.C. seems too cramped. 

 

Eddie Brewer recommends moving the Rhinos to Pittsburgh (keeping the name) and moving the Capitals to Baltimore (rebranding.) On a personal note, I'd love to see a Rhinos brand evolve. 

 

Question: Why in the Playoffs do the teams play all five games?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

Eddie Brewer was born in Portland, Maine on July 18, 1918. After graduating from the University of Maine, Eddie became a well known lawyer. With his local stature, Eddie was able to become the mayor of Portland. Today, Eddie has since day retired from being a mayor, but is known for his law firm (Brewer Law Co.) and has founded the Brewer Law School of Maine, which is highly regarded as one of the top-tier law schools in the country. 

 

With 1st being the most preferred option, here are the votes:

1) New York City - New York City is way too big of a market to pass up. 

2) Philadelphia - Similar too New York, Philly is a huge market. 

3) Baltimore - Baltimore is a large market and could help bring in more fans from the southern states. 

4) Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh is another large market and could help bring fans in from Western Pennsylvania and West Virginia. 

5) Minnesota - Minnesota might be difficult with travel costs for Eastern teams, but is an untapped market that could also bring in fans from the west. 

6) Buffalo - Buffalo could help bring in fans from upper New York and Canada. 

 

Not voting for:

Los Angeles and Dallas - These two are just too far away for the time being. 

St. Louis - St. Louis would be the 7th choice; its' a good market, but the other six have better attributes. 

DC - With Baltimore, D.C. seems too cramped. 

 

Eddie Brewer recommends moving the Rhinos to Pittsburgh (keeping the name) and moving the Capitals to Baltimore (rebranding.) On a personal note, I'd love to see a Rhinos brand evolve. 

 

Question: Why in the Playoffs do the teams play all five games?

What do you mean by "all five games?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PackMan said:

What do you mean by "all five games?"

I mean that some teams win a series 5-0, 4-1, and 3-2. ( i.e. In the semifinals, Akron won the semifinals series 4-1 and Grand Rapids won 3-2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ~Bear said:

I mean that some teams win a series 5-0, 4-1, and 3-2. ( i.e. In the semifinals, Akron won the semifinals series 4-1 and Grand Rapids won 3-2)

It's just the simulation process, really. Some teams are just that good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PackMan said:

It's just the simulation process, really. Some teams are just that good.

I think you missed the point. Three wins would clinch the series, but if it's a sweep teams have two more irrelevant games to play. Is there a reason for this? I ask because teams wouldn't want to play irrelevant playoff games, especially when rest and injuries are a key factor. 

Edited by ~Bear
wouldn't instead of would
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ~Bear said:

I think you missed the point. Three wins would clinch the series, but if it's a sweep teams have two more irrelevant games to play. Is there a reason for this? I ask because teams would want to play irrelevant playoff games, especially when rest and injuries are a key factor. 

I didn't realize that. Once the 1952-53 playoffs start, I'll add irrelevant playoff games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PackMan said:

I didn't realize that. Once the 1952-53 playoffs start, I'll add irrelevant playoff games.

Don't add games (I had a typo, I edited it) but rather delete them after a team has won 3 games (i.e. Baseball's current Divisional Series). 

 

Sorry to drag this on, I just want this project to be realistic and the best it can be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ~Bear said:

Don't add games (I had a typo, I edited it) but rather delete them after a team has won 3 games (i.e. Baseball's current Divisional Series). 

 

Sorry to drag this on, I just want this project to be realistic and the best it can be. 

Ok, I get it now.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Connor Wolfe, Head Coach of the Michigan State Basketball program and architect of the 3 time National Championship winning Spartans of the late 40's. His indirect approach to scouting, leaving his scouts to find and recruit the best players possible and for him to find a system that works with the talent around him is much different compared to cross country rival, Adrian von Groute of Kansas. Wolfe's Midwest connections and dominance of College Basketball led to his position on the expansion council.

 

Connor's Choices for locations (In order)

New York: Simply the top choice, with the Patriots being one of the clearly dominant teams from the pre-war
Philly: It's a Sports town and basketball would slide in nicely to the area bringing in more fans
Pittsburgh: Instant Rivalry with both Cleveland and Philadelphia while servicing both Western Pennsylvania and West Virginia
Baltimore: It would begin to bridge the league to more Southern Markets
St. Louis: The Gateway to the west would give an easy launching point for the league to expand more in the western half of the US
Minnesota: It helps build a rivalry with Milwaukee as it would also ease travel costs, letting teams go Milwaukee, Minnesota Trips

Connor is not voting for

LA and Dallas: Connor agrees with Eddie given that this places are simply too far away for a prodominately Midwest league
Buffalo: Connor feels it is too remote at the moment, while it would bring in great lake rivalries. He still feels it's too small
DC: Connor prefers Baltimore over DC 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eric Crosby, a former player/owner for the 1930s Orlando Oranges of the Atlantic Basketball League and current coach of the University of Central Florida's basketball program, would like to submit for the council. He attempted to form a basketball league in 1949, but the league folded after one year. He sees this league as an opportunity to finally revive professional basketball in the country. Because of this, Crosby votes:

 

1. New York City - NYC is way too big of a market to pass up, and it would bring huge exposure to the league.

2. Philadelphia - Philadelphia is the same situation as New York City.

3. Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh is a big sports city, and would create an instant rivalry with Philadelphia.

4. St. Louis - St. Louis would open up the game to the western US.

5. Washington DC - Another big market, big exposure situation. The nation's capital needs a sports team.

6. Buffalo - Opens the game to the northern US and Canada.

Crosby is not voting for:

Los Angeles - LA is just too far from the rest of the teams in the league, even if Dallas/Fort Worth was added.

Dallas/Fort Worth - Same situation as Los Angeles

Minneapolis/St. Paul - This is my #7 pick - a good market, just not better than the top 6 for me.

Baltimore - Too close to DC, another good pick, but the league can't have both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Eric Crosby, a former player/owner for the 1930s Orlando Oranges of the Atlantic Basketball League and current coach of the University of Central Florida's basketball program, would like to submit for the council. He attempted to form a basketball league in 1949, but the league folded after one year. He sees this league as an opportunity to finally revive professional basketball in the country. Because of this, Crosby votes:

 

1. New York City - NYC is way too big of a market to pass up, and it would bring huge exposure to the league.

2. Philadelphia - Philadelphia is the same situation as New York City.

3. Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh is a big sports city, and would create an instant rivalry with Philadelphia.

4. St. Louis - St. Louis would open up the game to the western US.

5. Washington DC - Another big market, big exposure situation. The nation's capital needs a sports team.

6. Buffalo - Opens the game to the northern US and Canada.

Crosby is not voting for:

Los Angeles - LA is just too far from the rest of the teams in the league, even if Dallas/Fort Worth was added.

Dallas/Fort Worth - Same situation as Los Angeles

Minneapolis/St. Paul - This is my #7 pick - a good market, just not better than the top 6 for me.

Baltimore - Too close to DC, another good pick, but the league can't have both.

Um, I'm sorry, but UCF was not established until 1963. But other than that, it's a good backstory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, PackMan said:

Um, I'm sorry, but UCF was not established until 1963. But other than that, it's a good backstory.

Well... I'll just say UF then. (How do I not even know my local college?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now