PackMan

American Basketball League - 1962 ABL Finals

YungMan    2
8 hours ago, PackMan said:

I was originally going to fold Grand Rapids, but they somehow became successful, so I kept them. As for Akron, I plan on moving them to Indianapolis to become the new Checkers franchise, thus taking back the old Checkers history from Boston and Akron would be considered defunct.

Seems reasonable but why would the take the Checkers history? Its not like they were a great team in the past. I also have a question about the larger markets like New York are/will there be any teams in the future?

PackMan    78

ABL News: Just before the playoffs, the Akron Bobcats have announced that the team will be folding, (in the midst of their success too...) and the Bobcats will be replaced by an expansion team in Indianapolis, with all the Akron players transferring to the new franchise, which will be known as the Checkers. The team will also take back the history of the original Checkers from the Boston Dragons, who were the original Indianapolis Checkers.

PackMan    78

1959 ABL Playoffs

ABL West Semifinals

Akron vs. Detroit

Game 1 @AKR - 111-96 DET

Game 2 @DET - 120-117 DET

Game 3 @AKR - 107-101 AKR

Game 4 @DET - 124-118 AKR

Game 5 @AKR - 116-100 DET

Milwaukee vs. Chicago

Game 1 @CHI - 112-111 CHI

Game 2 @MIL - 101-96 CHI

Game 3 @CHI - 122-99 CHI

ABL East Semifinals

Baltimore vs. Pittsburgh

Game 1 @BAL - 125-104 BAL

Game 2 @PIT - 105-100 BAL

Game 3 @BAL - 122-110 BAL

Boston vs. Cleveland

Game 1 @CLE - 104-98 CLE

Game 2 @BOS - 124-116 BOS

Game 3 @CLE - 125-124 BOS

Game 4 @BOS - 113-109 BOS

PackMan    78

1959 ABL Playoffs

ABL West Finals

Chicago vs. Detroit

Game 1 @DET - 125-102 DET

Game 2 @CHI - 124-118 CHI

Game 3 @DET - 104-95 CHI

Game 4 @CHI - 120-101 CHI

ABL East Finals

Baltimore vs. Boston

Game 1 @BAL - 119-111 BOS

Game 2 @BOS - 113-103 BOS

Game 3 @BAL - 125-107 BAL

Game 4 @BOS - 101-99 BOS

PackMan    78

Hello guys. I'm in Cozumel, Mexico right now and I'd also like to inform you of 3 things:

1 - I'm sorry I left you guys on a cliffhanger, I've been doing other things. I am a man of many phases. I plan on doing seasons up until 1965-66 or 1970-71. Getting new art out will also be difficult since my computer's Adobe Creative Cloud license has expired.

2 - Happy 1 year-10 day anniversary to this topic!

3 - Here's the 1959 ABL Finals!

Chicago vs. Boston

Game 1 @BOS: 104-90 BOS

Game 2 @CHI: 113-97 CHI

Game 3 @BOS: 124-109 CHI

Game 4 @CHI: 125-106 CHI

Game 5 @BOS: 120-114 BOS

Bookended by Boston wins and in a surprising upset, the Chicago Redshirts win their second ABL title in the 1959 ABL Finals!

ImmortalChef    243

This is a really cool sim, glad it's back

Jimmy Lethal    264
On 8/14/2016 at 8:42 PM, Uglybus said:

I'm just going to casually mention that the St Louis Arch wasn't built until more then 10 years after the team got its name. 

Funnily enough, I had this same problem with a team in my fictional baseball league. I changed it so they changed their name from the Redskins in the early '70s.

PackMan    78
On 8/23/2016 at 1:47 PM, PackMan said:

Offseason announcement:

The expansion council's coming back! Starting in the 1958-59 offseason, you can help vote for the next ABL teams. And just to point it out, the ABL will expand by 6 teams, in a 3-season span that will last from 1959-1961.

Yep. It's back. If you participated in the previous expansion council, you may reuse your old characters. Also, Akron will be folding after the 1960-61 season and will be replaced by an expansion Indianapolis Checkers team. Here are the possible cities for 6 new teams for the 1959-60, 1960-61 and 1961-62 seasons:

Los Angeles

Washington, D.C.

Dallas/Fort Worth

Buffalo

Miami

Atlanta

Seattle

Denver

BellaSpurs    69

Dear ABL

The name's Sara Williamson, love to see my hometown of Atlanta get a professional basketball team. Although I was born outside of Athens Georgia, I've lived in Atlanta since I was five and I still call it home. I grew up a straight A student and coached the Girls Academic Team during college while taking a part time job at the middle school I went to. I soon became a English language arts teacher there and taught eight grade math and English for ten years, in currently 36 years old and loving life. But I seem to find myself bored over the breaks with little to do, would love to see Atlanta get a team, that I could watch!

my votes;

-Atlanta

-D.C. 

-Miami

-Los Angeles

-Dallas

From Sara Williamson

PackMan    78
11 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Dear ABL

The name's Sara Williamson, love to see my hometown of Atlanta get a professional basketball team. Although I was born outside of Athens Georgia, I've lived in Atlanta since I was five and I still call it home. I grew up a straight A student and coached the Girls Academic Team during college while taking a part time job at the middle school I went to. I soon became a English language arts teacher there and taught eight grade math and English for ten years, in currently 36 years old and loving life. But I seem to find myself bored over the breaks with little to do, would love to see Atlanta get a team, that I could watch!

my votes;

-Atlanta

-D.C. 

-Miami

-Los Angeles

-Dallas

From Sara Williamson

There are rules for the expansion council. First of all, you can't really show bias to a particular location (like voting for Atlanta when your character lives in Atlanta). Not to mention we're expanding by 6 teams, not 5. Also, you need to explain why you're voting for a city, and also write down reasons why you didn't vote for a city. You could consider reading some of the previous expansion council entries in this topic.

Magic Dynasty    481

I'm going to retain Eric Crosby, but I'm going to rewrite his backstory a little bit. So, here goes...

Eric Crosby was born in 1931 in the small orange-grove town of Orlando, Florida. After his family orange business goes bankrupt, they have to move to New York. However, his heart has always been in Orlando, and when he graduated from Boston College, founded Orlando Oranges Co., which has exploded and is now the main orange and orange juice provider in eastern America. He has always loved basketball more than any other sport, and even attempted to form a basketball league in 1949 (which failed, and folded after just one year). He sees the ABL as the true American basketball league, and is delighted to be reinvited to the expansion council.

Therefore, Crosby votes for...

1) Los Angeles, CA - LA is simply too big to not have a team at this point. While travel may be an issue early on, he feels the travel industry is only going forward, and will improve incredibly in the next couple of years.

2) Atlanta, GA - Atlanta is a great city to expand to and greatly expand the league's footprint into the deep South as well.

3) Dallas-Fort Worth, TX - This league began as a Midwestern league, and Dallas, Crosby feels, is a glaring oversight so far. This brings a big TV market into the league, and will expand the footprint South.

4) Washington DC - The nation's capital deserves an ABL team, especially with the current strategy of expanding into the East.

5) Seattle, WA - The Pacific Northwest is another fish to fry in this league, and would provide a partner with LA so that way they wouldn't be totally isolated out there.

6) Miami, FL - Miami would provide a great geographic rival to Atlanta, as well as expand the footprint into Florida.

Crosby is not voting for:

Buffalo, NY - Crosby almost picked Buffalo over Miami. He likes the idea of placing a team into Buffalo, as it will entice both upstate NY and possibly Ontario. However, he picked Miami over Buffalo because of the open region in the South. If there was a 7th slot, it would go to Buffalo.

Denver, CO - A Denver team seems to be unsmart at this point. Crosby feels that it would be too isolated from any other team to be seriously considered. However, expect Denver to be on his ballot next time expansion is on the agenda.

Darknes    135

Connor Wolfe, Head Coach of the Michigan State Basketball program and architect of the 3 time National Championship winning Spartans of the late 40's. His indirect approach to scouting, leaving his scouts to find and recruit the best players possible and for him to find a system that works with the talent around him is much different compared to cross country rival, Adrian von Groute of Kansas. Wolfe's Midwest connections and dominance of College Basketball led to his position on the expansion council.

Connor is voting for

1. Dallas: It's no secret that Texans like their sports and  he feels the Dallas area could lead itself to quite a following if successful.
2. Los Angeles: Too big of a market to ignore and easily one of the stronger bids in the current group.
3. Seattle: Giving LA a travel partner is critical, as well as opening new regions to the ABL should be seen as a priority in Connor's mind
4. Denver: Once again it's a new market, travel partner with the other two possible west coast teams and helps open the gap between the midwest roots of the league
5. Atlanta: Connor has gone down to play Georgia Tech and admits the city is a passionate sports town, it's also quite segregated and could be problematic with some of the teams given their makeup.
6. Miami: Helps expand the footprint of the league while leading to plenty of chances in the surrounding area.

He is not voting for 

Washington DC: The East coast is already crowded and with the Admirals there, the DC area will have to wait
Buffalo: Connor isn't sure how the area would react, but given it's promixity to Syracuse, he thinks it could work with the right people. 

PackMan    78

For what it's worth - The voting for cities will end this Friday (I'll be in DFW, and it's one of the cites I chose :o) and I will find out which 6 cities are worthy of ABL teams.

RedfieldNick    195

Glad to see this back!! I will throw my hat in:

David McDonough is the radio broadcaster for the Kansas City Rivermen. Born on August 7, 1934, he played very well with the Wichita State basketball team, yet declined to go pro, and went into a new thing called radio broadcasting. He was hired as the Rivermen's radio broadcaster right out of college when they moved to KC. He is known for after wins saying, "The Rivermen have completed the voyage!" He will be voting for:

1. LA-Huge market and untapped area, and with air travel becoming more common, it shouldn't be a problem
  2. Seattle-Opens the Pacific Northwest right open
  3. Atlanta-Huge media market, opens Deep South
  4. Miami-Same as Atlanta, but bigger city
  5. Denver-In future, very flexible Division placement
  6. Dallas-Opens Southwest market

No votes:

Buffalo-Just add Toronto!!

DC-Baltimore is too close

Jimmy Lethal    264

Owen Youngblood, born November 4, 1930, is the ace pitcher for the American Baseball League's Seattle Breakers. Hailing from nearby Aberdeen, Owen was a two-sport athlete in high school, playing both baseball and basketball. He had a roughly equal passion for both sports, but when it came time to head to college, his family convinced him to only choose one. He picked baseball, heading to Washington State and helping them reach the finals of the 1950 College World Series. After that, he entered the ABL (not this one) with the San Francisco Grizzlies and helped them capture a title in 1953 before being taken by the Breakers in the expansion draft. He's reached another Grand Finals since then, losing to the St. Louis Redskins in '57, and hopes to bring a championship to his home state soon. Owen will be voting for...

1. Los Angeles - A giant market, Owen is honestly surprised LA has yet to field a basketball team. As a resident of the West Coast himself, he supports bringing the game out to the Pacific.

2. Seattle - Setting aside any possible hometown bias, Owen chose Seattle to give the game a larger presence on the West Coast than just LA. He hopes the team can eventually come to represent the entire Pacific Northwest.

3. Dallas - Owen believes Texas should have at least one team, so Dallas was an obvious choice.

4. Atlanta - Just like with LA and Seattle, Owen thinks the game should make an effort to expand to the South. With Atlanta being a fast-growing city that support baseball's Peaches well, the area is prime for a basketball team.

5. Miami - Of course, Atlanta can't be the only team down south, so Owen's vote for Miami is mainly to give them a partner. Like with Dallas, he thinks Florida is an important state that should have a team representing it.

6. Denver - With nowhere else in the surrounding area seeming like they could support a team just yet, Owen chooses Denver as his final vote to represent the Rockies.

Owen will not be voting for...

Buffalo - Too small of a market, as well as being rather close to Toronto, which is much larger.

Washington, DC - Baltimore is too close.

PackMan    78

The votes are in. Here are the expansion cities!

Los Angeles

Atlanta

Dallas/Fort Worth

Seattle

Miami

Denver

With this expansion, the ABL will introduce a new divisional alignment, not to mention that we are expanding over the course of 3 seasons. Here are the divisions for each season:

1959-61

ABL West

Chicago Redshirts

Denver ('60-61)

Kansas City Rivermen

Milwaukee Stags

Minnesota Oxen

St. Louis Archers

ABL Central

Akron Bobcats

Baltimore Admirals

Cincinnati Blues

Cleveland Bulldogs

Dallas/Fort Worth ('60-61)

Detroit Lakers

ABL East

Atlanta ('59-60)

Boston Dragons

Miami ('59-60)

New York Patriots

Philadelphia Minutemen

Pittsburgh Rhinos

1961-62

ABL West

Dallas/Fort Worth ('60-61)

Denver ('60-61)

Kansas City Rivermen

Los Angeles ('61-62)

Seattle ('61-62)

St. Louis Archers

ABL Central

Chicago Redshirts

Cincinnati Blues

Cleveland Bulldogs

Detroit Lakers

Indianapolis Checkers (replacing the folded Akron Bobcats)

Milwaukee Stags

Minnesota Oxen

ABL East

Atlanta ('59-60)

Baltimore Admirals

Boston Dragons

Miami ('59-60)

New York Patriots

Philadelphia Minutemen

Pittsburgh Rhinos

We also need to vote for the names of our new teams, which will end next Friday.

Magic Dynasty    481

Denver: Colorado Miners, Denver/Colorado Mountaineers

Los Angeles: Los Angeles Reds (as in the red carpet)

Atlanta: Atlanta Firebirds, Atlanta/Georgia Generals

Dallas: Dallas/Texas Outlaws, Dallas/Texas Sheriffs

Seattle: Seattle Natives, Seattle Cascaders

Miami: Miami/Florida Flamingos (while you will never find a single flamingo in Miami, it does sound good)