USA Basketball releases new uniforms

Webfooter

USA Basketball unveiled its new white uniforms on Thursday.  The design is pretty minimal but the most interesting feature is that the lettering and numbering appears to be an iridescent material that doesn't look all that bad.  They'll officially show off the other versions at a later date but you can see the others in a tweet that a writer posted. 

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/03/17/nike-team-usa-basketball-uniforms-2016-olympics-photos

CdxXMIyXEAAxMg3.jpg

I like the look, but the same design on the China uniform in the back leads me to believe this is a uniform template (complete with capri pant leggings) that Nike is trotting out there for everyone--kind of bring if everyone's uniform design is the same. 

1 hour ago, Hat Boy said:

I like the look, but the same design on the China uniform in the back leads me to believe this is a uniform template (complete with capri pant leggings) that Nike is trotting out there for everyone--kind of bring if everyone's uniform design is the same. 

Based on the new uniform template's press release, all Nike-sponsored countries will be wearing similar designs that will have individual design details and color palettes to fit each country.  This makes the uniforms feel uninspired, taking them down a notch in my eyes.  There's some real Nike BS on the meaning of the colored curves for each country.  I also find it odd that the colored jerseys are considered the home ones while the whites are the aways.  This is likely due to the international uniform conventions the Olympics follows rather than the American way.

http://news.nike.com/news/2016-rio-basketball-uniforms-aeroswift

http://news.nike.com/news/usa-2016-rio-basketball-uniform

http://news.nike.com/news/china-2016-rio-basketball-uniform

http://news.nike.com/news/brasil-2016-rio-basketball-uniform

They did this with the London uniforms as well. They probably view this in the same way adidas has viewed the World Cup of Hockey uniforms. Get the design out there that shows off the technology, we'll worry about aesthetics later. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

They are not bad, but at the same time, they are quite lazy in the design.  A simple design is fine, but even this is a little too simple.  No two countries should have the same look, just with different colours.  As horrible as the NHL's World Cup jerseys are, at least they all aren't sharing the same template.

• 4 months later...
On 3/22/2016 at 4:34 PM, goforbroke said:

Supposedly there is a uniform gradient .. not unlike the Mutombo hawks .. but it must be pretty subtle cuz i dont see it in any of the photos.

Watching the USA-China game. The back and front of the USA jerseys are two different shades of blue and are separated by a red line on the side. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

15 minutes ago, Nyk33 said:

Watching the USA-China game. The back and front of the USA jerseys are two different shades of blue and are separated by a red line on the side. 

It's not really a good look.  The red stripe is so dark that, at certain angles and lighting, it seemingly blends in with the two different blues.  Plus, the all-white numbers with no outline looks out of place since there's no red on them to play off the red stripes on the sides.

2 hours ago, BShaw20 said:

Why can't the NBA players wear any number and why are they wearing the antiquated FIBA 4-15 numbers? Other countries allow their players to wear any number. For Spain, Rubio is wearing number 79.

When the tournament starts they have to wear 1-15. It's the same way FIFA only allows 1-23 for the World Cup,African Cup of Nations, Gold Cup and European Championships, but players can wear whatever number they wish in international friendlies and club competitions. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 7/26/2016 at 8:08 AM, BShaw20 said:

Why can't the NBA players wear any number and why are they wearing the antiquated FIBA 4-15 numbers? Other countries allow their players to wear any number. For Spain, Rubio is wearing number 79.

On 7/26/2016 at 10:30 AM, MJWalker45 said:

When the tournament starts they have to wear 1-15. It's the same way FIFA only allows 1-23 for the World Cup,African Cup of Nations, Gold Cup and European Championships, but players can wear whatever number they wish in international friendlies and club competitions. 

I hope they change this terrible rule.

For a long time CONCACAF had a rule about players wearing consecutive numbers from 1 on up.  So D.C. United's Jaime Moreno, who wore no. 99, would switch to no. 9 for the Champions Cup (now called the Champions League).

6a00e54ef2975b88330134862b05d3970c-pi.jp   jorge-samuel-caballero-of-honduras-olimp

But eventually this changed, and Moreno could wear his regular number in all competitions.

jaime-moreno-of-dc-united-controls-the-b

So maybe FIBA will come to its senses, as well.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived