Washington Arena League Name/Logo Ideas

Wildcomet

Recently it was announced that the Arena Football League will be expanding to Washington DC for the 2017 season and I thought it could be fun to get some ideas flowing on what this team could eventually be called and what potential logos could look like. The team owners are the same group that own the Wizards, Mystics, and Capitals so that might be something to keep in mind about them.

The two names I've heard/thought of that I like the best for the team are the Washington Maul, which I read in a Washington newspaper article online, and one I thought of that seems perfect for Arena Football; the Washington Insiders. While I really like both names I had some issues thinking of good logos, but I thought I'd share what I thought of and see if anyone has any ideas for improvements. Feel free to share your ideas on these or post your own names/logos!

This was my first thought for the Washington Maul; it's based off a commemorative Centennial Ax that was made in honor of George Washington's election as President (he's known chopping down a cherry tree as a kid). The axe-head shape is based off a pentagon, and the obelisk in the oval is in honor of the Washington Monument in the National Mall at Washington.

56f091ef2fc75_WashingtonMaulLogo.thumb.p

Here's my first thought for the Insiders. I've found that many 'insider' logos usually have 'In' inside of some sort of box or thought cloud or something so I decided to go along those same lines for this. I chose a pentagon as the outer shape in reference to Washington's Pentagon. It creates a cleaner, more simplistic logo that I think would actually stand out pretty well among other AFL logos.

56f091ed8a3f1_WashingtonInsidersLogo.png

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

Thanks for the comments! I was going for more of an ergonomic type handle design when I did the shape behind Washington in the Maul logo. It fit with how the handle in the axe that inspired it was designed, and having it be more rectangular in shape just wasn't working for me.

I think using the older style axe would work better for the Maul. Insiders doesn't work as a football name though using the idea of the beltway for a starting point of the logo sounds like a good idea.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 3/22/2016 at 9:21 AM, MJWalker45 said:

I think using the older style axe would work better for the Maul. Insiders doesn't work as a football name though using the idea of the beltway for a starting point of the logo sounds like a good idea.

I could certainly give that a try. The axe I based it off was made in the late 1800's, but I could see going towards a more utilitarian axe design rather than this ceremonial one. Normally I'd agree about Insiders as a team name; I felt it works particularly well here because of the city it's in and the fact that it's for a football team that plays indoors so it would have a unique double meaning, but no arguments that it is not a conventional type of name.

I have to be honest (I'm not from anywhere near Washington) I'm not familiar with what the beltway actually is, but I'd be willing to check it out as a logo basis.

On 3/22/2016 at 9:35 AM, AstroBull21 said:

Resurrect the Federals!!! 

I decided to give this a try. I am pretty happy with what I came up with. I decided to just do an update of the original logo, and changed the colors to fit what the team is likely to use based on interviews of the owner. I tried to make it a little more streamlined in the face and added some lines to it so that it had a little more going on (the original felt a little plain to me). I also made the eye into a pentagon shape to give another nod to the federal government theme.

56f68815061d7_WashingtonFederalsLogo.thu

Archived