The Sports Media Thread

I mentioned in my Bill Simmons thread that we could benefit from a sport media thread. Well here it is! This is where you discuss sports media, link to Awful Announcing stories, post Gus Johnson clips, and more.

I've been looking for a place to discuss Gawker vs. Hogan, and this is good as any. After too many days' silence, Gawker finally spoke up: http://gawker.com/the-hogan-verdict-1766460791

If Hulk Hogan's penis is the hill they wanted to die on, they deserve what they can get. This is the exceptionally bad opinion from Nick Denton's post:

Back in 2012, to the largely young and metropolitan audience of Gawker, and to those who found the story through news reports and search engines, the post was not particularly offensive. It was their choice to click on the headline and the play button.

"If only you hadn't read what we posted, we wouldn't be in this mess!"

No one wanted to see Hulk Hogan have sex, and Heather Cole definitely didn't want the world to see her have sex. That Hogan is a public figure or that he said embarrassing racist things is irrelevant; there's no public right to know about the sex lives of others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Craig Sager's Leukemia is no longer in remission. He has three to six months to live. Christ.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/3/21/11279390/tnt-sideline-reporter-craig-sager-reports-that-his-leukemia-has

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Good thread idea.

That's sad news about Craig Sager. I always liked him and his drive to be our version of "whacky suit guy". 

I watched my first college basketball of the season last weekend and I really wanted to give that Doug Gottlieb a two handed knuckle sandwich. He was tough to listen to. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

If Hulk Hogan's penis is the hill they wanted to die on,

I just spat my coffee out, so you win.

• Like 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• 2 weeks later...

Two podcasts of note:

1. Last weekend, Rachel Nicholas interviewed Adam Silver on NBA TruHoops podcast. They talked about all of the issues: ads on jerseys, Steph Curry, current labor negotiations, MJ as an owner and how it changes things, and more. Silver definitely stuck to talking points, but Rachel Nichols is very good at her job (I miss her on TNT) and kept the conversation engaging.

2. Today Bill Simmons published an interview with Keith Olbermann. I'm 50 minutes into a 70-minute podcast, and while not groundbreaking, it's a good listen. They talk about the state of American political media, why no one likes baseball, and I'm just coming to "how to fix SportsCenter."

Good idea for a thread.

I'm curious to hear opinions on Beth Mowins.  I went to college with her, so my opinion is a little biased.

beth-mowins-360.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I don't know her. What does she do?

The Zach Lowe podcast with Howard "What Up?" Beck provides more color to the LeBron's Melo/CP/Wade fantasy story. I'm not enthused with Lowe as an interview -- he still has a bad habit of answering the questions he asks his guests before they do -- but Beck is a good storyteller. LeBron is getting old, wistful, and sad he never got to really play with Melo, who is apparently a very good friend going back to high school days. It's a neat vignette.

(I bet much of that details was in Beck's Bleacher Report story, but who reads Bleacher Report?)

6 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I don't know her. What does she do?

From ESPN --

Beth Mowins joined ESPN in 1994 as a play-by-play commentator. She currently calls NCAA Championships in basketball, softball, soccer and volleyball, in addition to regular-season games for college football and men’s and women’s basketball. Mowins began calling college football games on ESPNU in 2005, and currently calls the ESPN2 College Football Saturday game with Joey Galloway and Paul Carcaterra.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/bios/mowins_beth/

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

10 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

From ESPN --

Beth Mowins joined ESPN in 1994 as a play-by-play commentator. She currently calls NCAA Championships in basketball, softball, soccer and volleyball, in addition to regular-season games for college football and men’s and women’s basketball. Mowins began calling college football games on ESPNU in 2005, and currently calls the ESPN2 College Football Saturday game with Joey Galloway and Paul Carcaterra.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/bios/mowins_beth/

Beth has her good days and bad days in calling football games.  She does have a passion for the game and it's great when she gets excited about touchdowns and big plays - the excitement is real and not fake.   But for some reason, I seem to switch away from her games moreso than other games (though the matchups are plenty to blame, too).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I will say that she didn't have the "announcer voice" in college.

On 3/23/2016 at 8:25 PM, DG_Now said:

I mentioned in my Bill Simmons thread that we could benefit from a sport media thread. Well here it is! This is where you discuss sports media, link to Awful Announcing stories, post Gus Johnson clips, and more.

Aside from Awful Announcing, there are some other sites for sports media news.
Sports Media Watch

Sports Radio PD (Home of the Podcast About Sports Radio, which typically has a sports radio host, but does have announcers on it.)

SI Media Podcast (The podcast with Ivan Manziel, current ESPN college football writer, whose son committed suicide last year shows another side of how ESPN operates and deals with people.)

A bit of news as it pertains to the Dodgers' on-going TV situation...the L.A. Times reported that Time Warner Cable has stopped negotiations with other TV providers for carriage of Sportsnet LA, even though TWC was willing to lower its price to TV providers.  Of course, the merger between Charter and Time Warner Cable is still awaiting federal approval, which could really play a role in Sportsnet LA's future.

One team RSNs usually don't work, especially a network like Sportsnet LA which only has the Dodgers and nothing else but filler.  At least the other TWC sports network here have other live programming surrounding the Lakers year-round.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 2:04 PM, MadmanLA said:

A bit of news as it pertains to the Dodgers' on-going TV situation...the L.A. Times reported that Time Warner Cable has stopped negotiations with other TV providers for carriage of Sportsnet LA, even though TWC was willing to lower its price to TV providers.  Of course, the merger between Charter and Time Warner Cable is still awaiting federal approval, which could really play a role in Sportsnet LA's future.

One team RSNs usually don't work, especially a network like Sportsnet LA which only has the Dodgers and nothing else but filler.  At least the other TWC sports network here have other live programming surrounding the Lakers year-round.

Doesn't Sportsnet have Lakers and Galaxy games as well? Still not enough for year round coverage but should be enough to bring in something, especially with Southern Section high school football.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Doesn't Sportsnet have Lakers and Galaxy games as well? Still not enough for year round coverage but should be enough to bring in something, especially with Southern Section high school football.

They are two different channels.

TWC SportsNet LA is co-owned by Guggenheim, the Dodgers ownership group.

TWC SportsNet, which airs the Lakers, Sparks and Galaxy is fully owned by TWC.

On 4/1/2016 at 8:55 PM, DG_Now said:

2. Today Bill Simmons published an interview with Keith Olbermann. I'm 50 minutes into a 70-minute podcast, and while not groundbreaking, it's a good listen. They talk about the state of American political media, why no one likes baseball, and I'm just coming to "how to fix SportsCenter."

That's a bit of a misrepresentation of the conversation, don't you think? The conversation I listened to was about how baseball has gone from a national sport to a regional sport and why. I don't recall either one of them saying "no one likes baseball." Anyway, it was a pretty good listen. It was nice to hear from KO. 

BB52Big.jpg