The Sports Media Thread

Can you imagine if Joe Buck discovered all those pindicks like Ryan Lambert and NBA Twitter?

"I'm Joe, he's Troy, and we're here for today's game between the Eagles and the Cowboys, or as I like to call it...sporps. The Cowboys are going to try and control time of possession. I think most people would agree that's a good thing."

"Joe, it looks like Tony Romo wants to come up big in the clutch today."
"Actually, there's no such thing as clutch, Troy, but that's okay, enjoy your sportsball."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I hate when online hate-everythings use the word "sportsball." Come on, you dicks. You know the Seahawks play football.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

30 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I hate when online hate-everythings use the word "sportsball." Come on, you dicks. You know the Seahawks play football.

Wussell Rilson

16 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Just take the NFL stuff and add the following - Joe Buck hates your team and he loves the team your team is playing. He's an unabashed Cardinals homer, except that Cardinals fans are convinced that Buck hates the Cardinals too. That's all you really need to know to get an idea of how he calls MLB. B)

Your take on Joe for MLB is the same as the take on Joe for NFL (at least as I've heard it).

Having worked in small time sports on radio, I take pride in preparation, and I'm not even on air.  I don't take issue with Joe/Troy from a preparation standpoint, and that same thing can't be said about the majority of broadcast teams.

It's where I sit.

24 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Your take on Joe for MLB is the same as the take on Joe for NFL (at least as I've heard it).

Having worked in small time sports on radio, I take pride in preparation, and I'm not even on air.  I don't take issue with Joe/Troy from a preparation standpoint, and that same thing can't be said about the majority of broadcast teams.

My take on Joe Buck calling baseball wasn't serious. I think Buck does a great job on baseball games.

I worked in sports radio for a while too. What did you do at your station? 

BB52Big.jpg

16 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

My take on Joe Buck calling baseball wasn't serious. I think Buck does a great job on baseball games.

I worked in sports radio for a while too. What did you do at your station? 

It's a stretch to say I was really IN sports radio, but I've been on-site producer / spotter / statistician (and off air color guy - feeding my observations to the PxP guy) for high school football on one of the sports stations in Milwaukee.  My on air broadcast partner is a real pro, and does PA for non-revenue sports at one of the Universities in Milwaukee (MU) as well as PA for the Lakeshore Chinooks.

It's where I sit.

35 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

It's a stretch to say I was really IN sports radio, but I've been on-site producer / spotter / statistician (and off air color guy - feeding my observations to the PxP guy) for high school football on one of the sports stations in Milwaukee.  My on air broadcast partner is a real pro, and does PA for non-revenue sports at one of the Universities in Milwaukee (MU) as well as PA for the Lakeshore Chinooks.

Sounds like you were in sports radio to me. 

BB52Big.jpg

On 6/6/2016 at 0:59 AM, DG_Now said:

Tweet that happens every year during the Super Bowl from dorks who think they're smarter than us because they don't like sports: "I hope the Broncos hit a homerun on this touchdown and get a hole in one! #WorldSeries" 

It's as hack as anything and nowhere near clever. You've mixed several different sports terms together. Hilarious! You don't see me coming down to your art house film festival and getting the titles wrong on purpose. 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't like The Ringer's layout. Also, I was reading something and they had a footnote and I clicked on it expecting a popup or a bubble to expand. It took me to the bottom of the page and then I had to scroll up and find where I was before. 

What do you guys think of the name "The Ringer"? I don't like it, but I can't articulate why. I think because it's such a try-hard and it's obvious. And their explanation for it was basically "names are hard to come up with, the ones we didn't pick were way worse, all the good ones are taken already"

You know who has a good title? "Garbage Time with Katie Nolan"

PvO6ZWJ.png

I haven't visited The Ringer much in part because I preferred Grantland's sports first philosophy.  I don't know enough of the Ringer's staff to care about their opinions (about seemingly everything). That and their podcast B-teamers are kind of bad. There's a bit of an unearned "too cool for school" attitude among them. Things like joking about how hard it is to get a podcast together, bragging about not watching games, and so on. Earnest is in, you know?

• Like 1

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I read something about how Jennifer Garner's Capital One commercials are more than just Capital One commercials. It's a minor miracle I'm not dead by my own hand.

14 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I read something about how Jennifer Garner's Capital One commercials are more than just Capital One commercials. It's a minor miracle I'm not dead by my own hand.

Simmons is getting paid more than seven million dollars a year to oversee that type of quality content. The approximate expected ROI is me stuffing my genitals in a Salad Shooter.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

29 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I haven't visited The Ringer much in part because I preferred Grantland's sports first philosophy.  I don't know enough of the Ringer's staff to care about their opinions (about seemingly everything). That and their podcast B-teamers are kind of bad. There's a bit of an unearned "too cool for school" attitude among them. Things like joking about how hard it is to get a podcast together, bragging about not watching games, and so on. Earnest is in, you know?

There's definitely this "Cool Kids Table" aura surrounding The Ringer that wasn't as prevalent at Grantland. They're just a little too excited about how smart they are. 

I gave their NFL podcast a shot and those guys know what they're talking about, but they REALLY want you to know they know what they're talking about. I found it borderline unlistenable. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Bill Barnwell's plucky geekishness did a great job of balancing out the more aggressive Robert Mays.

The new guy is mostly playing contrarian so far (Aaron Rodgers is the sixth best QB in the league!) which is decidedly less fun.

Their non-Simmons NBA podcasts are pretty brutal.

Because of their judgement to pay-off Hulk Hogan's lawsuit against them, Gawker Media just announced that they're filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and are in the process of selling its assets to Ziff-Davis (owners of PC Magazine and IGN.com).

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/10/media/gawker-media-bankruptcy/index.html

Another Hogan burial job...