The Sports Media Thread

17 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

I've rather enjoyed Ernie Johnson doing play by play for TBS this post-season.  His is a quieter yet entertaining voice all the same.  Not always the sharpest baseball eye, yet it's his lack of hijacking the game with boastful announcing which makes that tolerable.  He tends to sound like his priority is enjoying the game he's calling.  That's a very welcome trait.

I was too young to hear his father call Braves games on the radio (going all way back to the Milwaukee days), but given EJ's roots in the sport and just his overall professionalism, he's probably one of the few sportscasters where if he/she are on my TV, I'll at least check out a few minutes of play-by-play.  Brian Anderson (the Brewers' TV voice) isn't a bad play-by-play caller either.

On 9/22/2016 at 1:30 AM, the admiral said:

That sucks so much. I associate Strader with my NHL-on-ESPN adolescence as much as Gary Thorne.

Is Ralph Strangis coming back from his vision quest to fill in?

Just saw this. Strangis and Thorne (along with Chris Cuthbert and Jiggs) will fill in on some Kings broadcasts since Bob Miller is cutting back on road games.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/los-angeles-kings-will-have-guest-play-by-play-announcers-for-selected-road-games.html

Also, Strangis was on Press Your Luck.

That Awful Announcing writeup is much more effusive about Chris Cuthbert than I am. He and Dennis Beyak both sound like someone is lightly strangling them. I suppose they're technically sound, I just don't wanna hear 'em talk.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I like Harold Reynolds because he always seems to be genuinely happy to be doing what he's doing. I mean, he rarely provides any insight beyond the most superficial observations, but contrast with the insipid thoughts we got from Joe Buck and Tim McCarver all those years without half the joie de vivre.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I like Harold Reynolds because he always seems to be genuinely happy to be doing what he's doing. I mean, he rarely provides any insight beyond the most superficial observations, but contrast with the insipid thoughts we got from Joe Buck and Tim McCarver all those years without half the joie de vivre.

I wasn't watching but twitter is enjoying him calling Kershaw's 12-6 curve as a cutter, twice in the same ab.  

They also enjoyed his 'no way he's pitching tonight' on Kershaw's walk to the bullpen.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Yeah, that's just basic incredulity. Some of these little Neil Degrasse Tysons on Twitter could sit next to Jack Buck exclaiming "I don't believe what I just saw!" and say "well, the fact that you witnessed it means you have to believe it, because factually speaking, it happened." "No way he's pitching tonight" looks dumb written out in this context, but if you say it in Harold Reynolds Voice, it makes perfect sense.

On 10/11/2016 at 4:31 PM, 2001mark said:

I've rather enjoyed Ernie Johnson doing play by play for TBS this post-season.  His is a quieter yet entertaining voice all the same.  Not always the sharpest baseball eye, yet it's his lack of hijacking the game with boastful announcing which makes that tolerable.  He tends to sound like his priority is enjoying the game he's calling.  That's a very welcome trait.

I'll second this.  When Chris Tillman was taken out of the AL Wildcard Game, Ernie didn't even mention that Buck Showalter had left the dugout . . . not to mention the TBS cameras/feed also failed to show the mound visit.  The first sign that Tillman was coming out of the game that I recall was a shot of him walking to the dugout.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

http://thecommittedindian.com/predators-spotlight-one/

This blog has never hidden its affection for Pernell Karl Subban. It’s just a shame that the rest of the hockey world, specifically the one that considers itself so polite and understanding (and cold), wouldn’t follow suit.

This is hyperbole, to say the least. Fels needs to be reminded every now and then that he didn't invent hockey because he went to Blackhawks games in 2006.

On 10/13/2016 at 1:56 AM, cmm said:

Just saw this. Strangis and Thorne (along with Chris Cuthbert and Jiggs) will fill in on some Kings broadcasts since Bob Miller is cutting back on road games.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/los-angeles-kings-will-have-guest-play-by-play-announcers-for-selected-road-games.html

Also, Strangis was on Press Your Luck.

He was also "Ringside Ralph" for Verne Gagne's AWA.

Started to download The Ringer NBA podcasts.

It's a very mixed bag. Chris Vernon is what I expected for a veteran radio host with NBA connections with his TV job with the Grizzlies. His Daryl Morey interview is much better than any interview which Simmons has done with him. The Hollinger one was interesting as well

However, coworker Jason Concepcion made one unlistenable. It was labled "Hipster", so that should've been the warning sign.

Leave Vernon alone on these.

I listened to early Ringer NBA shows but the hosts talked all over each other, treated everything like a big joke, and made some assumptions that their audience liked them without them having to earn it.

Simmons talks NBA on his Thursday show with Joe House and that's worth listening to. Same with his weekly NFL chat with Mike Lombardi.

Between that and TrueHoop, I'm covered. I've given up on Vertical, at least until the season starts. I should give the Reddick show a chance though.

Speaking of Simmons, the Any Given Wednesday show this week was very good. He spoke about kids these days with Al Michaels and Bob Costas. Nothing groundbreaking, but at least it's two guys who know how to be on TV. Vince Staples continues to be very good on the show as well.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

6 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I listened to early Ringer NBA shows but the hosts talked all over each other, treated everything like a big joke, and made some assumptions that their audience liked them without them having to earn it.

Simmons talks NBA on his Thursday show with Joe House and that's worth listening to. Same with his weekly NFL chat with Mike Lombardi.

Between that and TrueHoop, I'm covered. I've given up on Vertical, at least until the season starts. I should give the Reddick show a chance though.

Speaking of Simmons, the Any Given Wednesday show this week was very good. He spoke about kids these days with Al Michaels and Bob Costas. Nothing groundbreaking, but at least it's two guys who know how to be on TV. Vince Staples continues to be very good on the show as well.

TrueHoop is outstanding, yet I still need to try the podcast from part-tine TrueHooper Tim Bontemps and his WaPo podcast.

Like in most all podcasts, I tend to skip those with players or coaches. Current players/coaches are BORING, but retitred (or fired) ones are less guarded.

Also, after five years I think I'm done with downloading "The Solid Verbal" as a college football podcast. Generally, Ty now just repeats every thing Dan says except for Ty's thoughts on Notre Dame or Penn State.

I think my favorite podcast of all time was the Zach Lowe podcast where Sam Hinkie got himself fired.

I also have saved on my phone the BS Report where Bill Simmons got himself fired.

What a fun medium.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

34 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I think my favorite podcast of all time was the Zach Lowe podcast where Sam Hinkie got himself fired.

I also have saved on my phone the BS Report where Bill Simmons got himself fired.

What a fun medium.

Best part was when Morey told Vernon how great a job he's done even though he has hired four coaches and only got to the WCF once. He touted how the Rockets have the third most wins over the last ten seasons under his tenure too. Ha!

• 2 weeks later...

I was never arsed to watch it. I've been meaning to get around to watching the Al Micheals and Bob Costas episode. Sorry, Bill. 

The opening episode with a drunk Ben Affleck ranting about deflategate didn't help matters. I think that may have gone viral in a bad way for the show. 

At least I won't have to hear "we talked about this on MY aitch bee ohhh show" on the podcast any more. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Do you know what it takes to get cancelled from HBO? You either have to cost the GDP of a small island nation per episode and not get viewers or put out such a crap sandwich that the "it's not TV" part of the slogan is thrown into doubt. See if you can guess which one "Bill Simmons wears flannel and sneakers on TV and talks about the Celtics" was.