The Sports Media Thread

On 2/10/2017 at 9:04 PM, DG_Now said:

The Kevin Durant interview on the Bill Simmons podcast is really, really good.

A little too much Brady/Boston stuff, but really good. And every time Simmons complained about people, Durant said "it's not about you." Nice.

yeah this was good. What keeps coming back to me about this era of NBA players is how much smarter they are about the media, their role as public figures, the political landscape, the business side of the game, etc etc than the guys 10-15 years ago. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• 2 weeks later...

FS1 has axed Fox Sports Live and is firing Jay and Dan, so they can get jobs at a real network again. They're also canning Garbage Time with Katie Nolan and putting her in some new format that's a better fit with Fox Sports' overarching image of empty-headed crapulence. If the past month is any indication, Jamie Horowitz will probably have Katie doing standups in front of a flatscreen in-between segments of All Takes Matter, live-reading tweets.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

TSN, already.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

This was the apogee of Jay Onrait on American TV, back in 2013 when making fun of how simple television reaches simple people in the simplest manner possible was still quaintly subversive.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Interesting food for thought here in "The Arrogant Thinking of Liberal Sportswriters." I don't agree with all of it, or even most of it, but these parts caught my eye:

But there's only so much that this new crop of sports writers can truly identify with in the players they admire. Socially cosseted with other journalists, liberal sports writers increasingly identify with the only set of actors in the sports world that come from a cultural milieu relatable to their own: the new class of rationalizing, brainy executives. In another generation, sports writers dreamed futilely of being Willie Mays or Gordie Howe. Now they want to be Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey. And their copy and concerns increasingly seem to be written for each other and for these analytics-loving general managers.
. . . 
The pattern of over-identifying with general managers is endemic to liberal sports journalism, and the not-so-secret truth is that liberal sportswriters increasingly hold the culture that produces athletes and their fans in contempt, or even find it dangerous and threatening. Fans are treated as a distracting nuisance, in thrall to their tribal affinities and over-invested in homegrown players or even in winning itself. How quaint.

The more astonishing piece of conventional wisdom generated by younger self-styled progressive sports writers was their argument against "PED hysteria." Many writers simply said fans didn't care enough, and many liked the results of a juiced game anyway. Some even took it to the logical conclusion: that sports leagues should preside over a free-for-all with performance-enhancing drugs. This is a strangely anti-labor and anti-regulation stance for liberals. It gives tacit encouragement for athletes to ignore both federal laws and their own health interests because of what the market demands. And it wouldn't solve the problem of marginal players taking PEDs to hang on. It would only make them turn to more exotic and dangerous drugs.

And that brings us to a stranger irony for progressive sports writers. Having committed themselves so thoroughly to arguments against "moralizing" or against "tradition," they actually become handmaidens for the interests of owners and capital. Having demythologized all values that are not purely rationalistic, making themselves deaf to arguments for some abstract "integrity of the game," they can mount no principled objection to, for example, commercial advertising being imposed on the bases in baseball. They will be met with their own favorite arguments that "the sky didn't fall" the last time traditionalists objected to some alteration. And in this respect it is notable that the NBA, whose writers tend to be even more progressive than the norm among sports writers, was the first major American sports league to announce that it would sell advertising space on player jerseys.

In sports as in other spheres, the professional-managerial class synthesizes culturalism with relentless capitalism and a myopic devotion to data. As in other spheres, it can't possibly fail until it does, and then does it ever.

Honestly, that's probably a reason Barstool has had such a recent rise. Fans talking about sports as fans. Not trying to talk smarter than anybody else. (Maybe acting like it and getting a laugh, but anyway.)

I have a lot of other issues with Barstool, and overall I don't really care for it. But I do understand it's appeal to some people.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I'm sure fantasy football plays a part. Too many kids don't want to pretend they're catching the Super Bowl-winning touchdown, they want to pretend they're hiring and firing people who could.

The Dan LeBatard vs. Everyone over the qualifications of Magic Johnson is the story of the week for me.

BTW, Dan's right on this. 

FWIW, Magic  has control of the greatest "free pass" card of any living former superstar athlete. The Community talks about it on the low too.

Well, we're not The Community, so if you're implying that Magic Johnson will be forgiven for poor management because he's gay, say Magic Johnson will be forgiven for poor management because he's gay.

6 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Well, we're not The Community, so if you're implying that Magic Johnson will be forgiven for poor management because he's gay, say Magic Johnson will be forgiven for poor management because he's gay.

Low, not as in sexuality, low as in off the record.

Magic is untouchable.

He's considered genius by using his NBA money to essentially flip food franchises (Starbucks, Fatburger, Friday's) within urban communities after 2-4 years giving them agribusiness food and exploiting it as a way to profit then comes in with a 24 Hour Fitness franchise to get money on the back end.

And TSN makes the return of Jay & Dan official.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

And TSN makes the return of Jay & Dan official.

SC with Jay & Dan starts in September, running nightly at midnight ET and repeating through until morning. Just like the good ol' days.

Los Angeles saw their longtime baseball announcer retire last October, and thankfully under his terms.  Today, their longtime hockey announcer announced that he will be retiring at the end of this season.

Bob Miller, who non-broadcasting fans may associate more with his work in the Mighty Ducks movie than the Kings games, has had some health issues in recent times, with this season being so tough that he's missed a lot of games (I believe he had dialed back some of the road games to begin with).  He's going to call the Kings' final two regular season games...the home game with Chicago, then the season finale the next day across town in Anaheim.

I was never a huge Bob Miller fan, certainly not the way some hockey fans swoon over him. He's technically sound, which turns out to be a bigger ask of an NHL announcer than it ought to be, but never did much to transcend that. I guess that was always the appeal, but I've always felt you have to go above and beyond that to be considered one of the great voices. Still, it sucks to hear that he's had all these health problems, and I hope he has a happy retirement.

5 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Los Angeles saw their longtime baseball announcer retire last October, and thankfully under his terms.  Today, their longtime hockey announcer announced that he will be retiring at the end of this season.

Bob Miller, who non-broadcasting fans may associate more with his work in the Mighty Ducks movie than the Kings games, has had some health issues in recent times, with this season being so tough that he's missed a lot of games (I believe he had dialed back some of the road games to begin with).  He's going to call the Kings' final two regular season games...the home game with Chicago, then the season finale the next day across town in Anaheim.

I'm a casual-at-best hockey fan, but I've always enjoyed listening to Bob Miller's play-by-play.  Nick Nickson, who's their radio play-by-play man (and originally broadcast games as Miller's partner and a fellow Hall of Famer) is a great heir apparent to Miller, and the broadcasts should be in excellent hands.

That now leaves the Clippers' Ralph Lawler as the only 70-something year-old play-by-play announcer still working in Los Angeles (he'll be 79 in April; Miller, FWIW, will also be 79 in October).

• Like 1