The Sports Media Thread

PK Subban was on Bill Simmons' podcast. He's so impressive. It's worth a listen. PK Subban has to be one of the smartest professional athletes. He really gets it and has great perspective on sports, hockey's place in sports, his place in hockey, what hockey needs to do to improve, concussions, and just seems like a chill dude. He was so candid and open. It's too bad Simmons didn't have him on longer than he did. His interview was hidden on the back end of another podcast where he talks to one of goofball buddies about nonsense for longer than he talked to PK Subban. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

Get me PK and Luongo on a studio show, with Special International Correspondent Ilya Bryzgalov.

• Like 4
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Into the media realm for the next few days. I'll be volunteering for NCAA Round 1&2 games at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee.  I'm in media credentials, so media members will be coming through the group I'm in to get passes, information and the like.

I'll be pretty scarce until the week is out starting at about 4 PM Central tomorrow.

It's where I sit.

I mentioned in the NHL thread that Pittsburgh is the most fetid local sports media cesspool this side of Boston. I'm too dumb to properly embed tweets, so just click on this and slowly take it all in.

https://twitter.com/WPXIFinalWord/status/841114722288181248

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Which Madill grad was it?

http://thebiglead.com/2017/03/16/which-prominent-northwestern-alum-wore-a-purple-wildcats-shirt-to-the-media-room/

Some suspects from yesterday via Rachel Nichols:

C7D955SV4AI6UYs2_zpsbe0gkwmv.jpg

It may not be an ESPN employee, but those four we know were there.

FS1 Stewart Mandell and BTN's Dave Revsine were also there, but I'll bet on Darren Rovell since he lacks awareness and tact.

https://mobile.twitter.com/darrenrovell/media

And Greeny and wife took to Instagram starting with their netjets/Wheels Up flight to SLC.

Edited by dfwabel
Rovell as my vote

TrueHoop Fridays are garbage now. Kayleigh has improved greatly. I have zero interest in Jade's mom. FFS.

Their conversation on the Lakers was very good, though I think any conversation about the decline of the Lakers that doesn't include Stern nuking the Chris Paul trade is incomplete. Their plan B was Dwight Howard/Steve Nash, which should have worked but clearly didn't. And these many years later, clearly Chris Paul would have been the better get. Stern did a lot to ruin the NBA in his later years; poisoning the Lakers was particularly odious. 

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

43 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

TrueHoop Fridays are garbage now. Kayleigh has improved greatly. I have zero interest in Jade's mom. FFS.

Their conversation on the Lakers was very good, though I think any conversation about the decline of the Lakers that doesn't include Stern nuking the Chris Paul trade is incomplete. Their plan B was Dwight Howard/Steve Nash, which should have worked but clearly didn't. And these many years later, clearly Chris Paul would have been the better get. Stern did a lot to ruin the NBA in his later years; poisoning the Lakers was particularly odious. 

I cannot take Truehoop Fridays or Wosny Lambre aka Big Wos.

Wos has nothing but the Knicks, NYC hip hop and progressive topics. 

I really downgraded him during The Finals after learning that at age 29*, he has no credit so Jade and Amin had to crowd fund his air and hotel.

https://www.gofundme.com/27qc8m4

Really? Grow up man.

However, Thursday's female only Truehoop was funny and surprisingly good even with Beadle's homerism.

*- He claimed that he was ten when Biggie was murdered.

I started to listen to the female-only podcast, but didn't finish. It's a great idea though, and shocking they hadn't done it yet.

I still like Wos. shrug.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

This is a post about getting a little worn out by The Ringer's approach.  Sure I've it bookmarked & there are some weekly goodies... alas most of the site tries to be so definitively cute...

'Thailand is the real global soccer powerhouse because of this training regiment.'

'Why this tv show matters more than any this decade & you should know about it before it's cancelled.'

'Ranking the most valuable players based entirely without stats or on field performance.'

'How your team will win this year because we've unearthed the real science.'

'Steph Curry has taken over the world & we're not talking about the NBA world.'

'You need to read this book before your friend does to be better at life.'

etc

Uh huh... have to, got to, need to, must, required, you don't know yet but you should/have to... it's tedious.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Indeed.

I actually think The Ringer has turned a corner a bit. The Medium platform still sucks, but the Ringer has been finding its voice. It helps that Simmons is writing again.

Has any basketball player had a pro wrestling manager before? The whole thing is absurd, but you have to admire that LaVar is going all the way on this. Everyone's giving him an offramp but he just won't take it.

It's great performance art.

5 minutes ago, the admiral said:

God this is so good. No one has ever trolled like this. I want him cutting promos for his son forever.

He's got two more kids in HS, so since he's from L.A., FS1 may begin a bidding war.

His went 8-33 and missed 20 3PT shots (8-28) in a HS playoff loss last week and Pops still blamed the coach!

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/03/lavar-ball-lamelo-liangelo-lonzo-chino-hills-high-school-coach-stephan-gilling-ucla

Lavar Ball is sports dad "everyman".

3 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Has any basketball player had a pro wrestling manager before? The whole thing is absurd, but you have to admire that LaVar is going all the way on this. Everyone's giving him an offramp but he just won't take it.

It's great performance art.

Ann Iverson?