The Sports Media Thread

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

What did Jamie Horowitz do?

Outside of the move to video?  Who knows, but according to the Hollywood Repoter, Horowitz has lawyer-ed up already.

Last month's layoffs sparked a long form from Awful Announcing which was published a week ago today.  I found it pretty interesting.

http://awfulannouncing.com/fox/jamie-horowitz-fox-sports-digital.html

EDIT: Apparently, like some other FOX/News Corp. staff, it deals with sexual harassment.

Edited by dfwabel
new link added

19 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Last month's layoffs sparked a long form from Awful Announcing which was published a week ago today.  I found it pretty interesting.

http://awfulannouncing.com/fox/jamie-horowitz-fox-sports-digital.html

This excerpt from that article sums it up so well:

"As Horowitz started outlining his digital vision for Fox Sports, he candidly explained that content that had performed well for Fox and was a key part of the site’s turnaround were to be no longer part of the strategy. With a very matter-of-the-fact delivery, Horowitz shared his distaste of the legacy content strategy in place to a room full of employees who had taken great pride in making FoxSports.com a much more trafficked website over the last year (upwards of 50 percent by most accounts)."

Ignoring what works, backed by traffic analytics, and going in a direction not supported by those same analytics, I suspect.

Topped off by this quote from Horowitz' presentation:

"The written word is still relevant, but the advertising value of written content, what we call display, is not growing."

So many execs get hung up on the value of pre-roll ads for video without acknowledging that online readers don't actually watch video on traditional news websites.

Someone above (EDIT: It was Cosmic) summarized it so well (paraphrasing): "Why watch an ad and a 3-minute video to tell me something I can read in 30 seconds?"

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

A CNBC analyst heard Simmons' podcast last week with James Andrew Miller and Bryan Curtis regarding ESPN and responded to his allegations of John Skipper and the Disney management.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/14/bill-simmons-wrong-about-how-espn-blew-it-in-digital-commentary.html

I listened to that podcast and it got pretty real. That part about ESPN being slow in the digital space actually felt correct to me. They STILL have problems with video on their website and no real podcasts that I've found worth subscribing to. 

And they were slow to recognize cord cutting. Everyone was, but that doesn't mean it's not a valid criticism of their management as well. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

LZ Granderson on ESPN's SportsNation says that the Nashville Predators moved from Atlanta and were the Thrashers. No one on the panel corrected him. (LINK)

ESPN and hockey, folks.

• Like 1

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

This isn't sports media, but it involves the Ringer so I thought I'd put it here - Tried to listen to The Ringer's Game of Thrones podcast (maybe my first mistake) to hear some recap on season 7 episode 1 and I couldn't make it 10 minutes. It's more of the same reasons I don't like their other podcasts. Two gleeful dorks overly impressed with how nutty it is that they're this gulldarn dorky about a TV show and look how silly it is that they're taking it this seriously aren't we smart smart nerds? WE HAVE A WHOLE PODCAST ABOUT GAME OF THRONES WE ARE SO KOOKY

The one woman, Mallory Rubin, has this voice that carries at a frequency that tickles my eardrums in such a way that makes me want to say "please stop yelling" even when she's speaking at a normal volume. 

PvO6ZWJ.png