The Sports Media Thread

11 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The one woman, Mallory Rubin, has this voice that carries at a frequency that tickles my eardrums in such a way that makes me want to say "please stop yelling" even when she's speaking at a normal volume. 

Clever alias "Mallory" but we knew you'd find something to do after losing the election

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

11 hours ago, McCarthy said:

This isn't sports media, but it involves the Ringer so I thought I'd put it here - Tried to listen to The Ringer's Game of Thrones podcast (maybe my first mistake) to hear some recap on season 7 episode 1 and I couldn't make it 10 minutes. It's more of the same reasons I don't like their other podcasts. Two gleeful dorks overly impressed with how nutty it is that they're this gulldarn dorky about a TV show and look how silly it is that they're taking it this seriously aren't we smart smart nerds? WE HAVE A WHOLE PODCAST ABOUT GAME OF THRONES WE ARE SO KOOKY

The one woman, Mallory Rubin, has this voice that carries at a frequency that tickles my eardrums in such a way that makes me want to say "please stop yelling" even when she's speaking at a normal volume. 

They were involved in the After The Thrones show on HBO (akin to The Talking Dead), and it was mostly cringe.  It takes something already larger than life in both its lore and production and covers it in frosting.  It's cloying.  Just let the show be the show and let us handle the flow of conversation in our chosen capacity.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 7/19/2017 at 2:22 PM, Still MIGHTY said:

LZ Granderson on ESPN's SportsNation says that the Nashville Predators moved from Atlanta and were the Thrashers. No one on the panel corrected him. (LINK)

ESPN and hockey, folks.

At this rate, I think it'd be best, for all parties involved, if ESPN just stopped covering hockey, altogether.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

On 07/20/2017 at 7:10 AM, McCarthy said:

This isn't sports media, but it involves the Ringer so I thought I'd put it here - Tried to listen to The Ringer's Game of Thrones podcast (maybe my first mistake) to hear some recap on season 7 episode 1 and I couldn't make it 10 minutes. It's more of the same reasons I don't like their other podcasts. Two gleeful dorks overly impressed with how nutty it is that they're this gulldarn dorky about a TV show and look how silly it is that they're taking it this seriously aren't we smart smart nerds? WE HAVE A WHOLE PODCAST ABOUT GAME OF THRONES WE ARE SO KOOKY

Mallory went to Newhouse and spent time at SI as the NCAA football editor there before Grantland and The Ringer. She really seems she would rather be in entertainment than sport as she was more interested in talking about "Lost" years ago in the SI college football podcast when Stuart Mandel was at SI.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody subscribed to The Athletic?

I know they are expanding to new cities (Bay Area, Detroit) and added some national college football writers in the last few weeks with Stuart Mandel, Nicole Auerbach, Jason Vannini and Jason Kersey.

But are those writers really editors/managers who can handle both tasks and more importantly, while some content is out there for free to tease, is anyone willing to pay $48/year in full or $8/month for regional specific content?  It didn't work for ESPN when they went city specific around their O&O radio stations and hired then laid off newspaper reporters.

http://www.niemanlab.org/2017/07/the-athletic-that-local-sports-startup-with-no-advertising-raises-5-4-million-and-scoops-up-sports-illustrateds-former-top-editor/

Tim Kawakami was on with Deitsch and it seems they are spending investment $$$ like crazy, but it may not be daily.

Haven't subscribed, won't subscribe, don't know anyone who does.

There's getting to be a little too much Prestige Sportswriting for it all to be prestigious. Much like how television dramas learned that they could go through the motions of The Sopranos and create content mistaken for art, we've hit upon the formula for sportswriting that theoretically tickles an educated and high-spending demographic, and now people know how to get paid for it until the money runs out, which it will, because everyone knows there's not really money in this. I didn't really weep for writers when Fox Sports did their "pivot to video" because I never expected anything above anodyne mindlessness from Fox Sports and neither should any of you. So there's one fewer place to write thinkpieces about how the Washington Redskins are racist. Infinity minus one. Big deal.

"Prestige" sportswriting is done this way ---> Grandiose and/or Overly Ambitious Premise, bonus points if the premise is false or based on a vocal minority, "a lot of people are saying" topic (the Dave Lozo Special). Large black and and white photo in the header, type is left justified center and in an 18 point font so you know you be scrolling. It's laid out like this so you think it looks important. Start with something cloying like "HOPE. It's a four letter word. For Buford Thompson's son Maxwell growing up in the projects of INSERT CITY hope was the only four letter word he didn't hear" or some s*** like that. Every so often pull a quote from the article and blow it up way big and place it a few paragraphs before it shows up in the article. People love this because it's like foreshadowing for the thing you're reading. The other option is you "Memento" the article and jump around from present to the past. Also remember to drop an enormous photo in every few paragraphs so those of us reading at work can't copy/paste the article to an email so it looks like we're working. When you're ready to wrap it up "land the plane" and callback whatever stupid device you used in the opening paragraph. 

Easy joke for the "prestige" sportswriters: Parody all of the above by following those steps, but making your entire article about something trivial like "Worst Sports Movie Athletes: Where are they Now?". And then when you tweet the link you say something like "J school prepared me for this" or "this is the most important thing I've written in my career". 

The Athletic poached the two best Blue Jackets writers from the Columbus Dispatch and I'm thinking about subscribing because my other options for coverage of the team are fan blogs written by people without knowledge, writing ability, or access, Or, worse, blogs written by non-fan hacks who somehow have access, but also can't write. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

Got an Athletic Chicago subscription when they had a promotion where it was only $20 for a year.  I'm not renewing if it's any more. 

I feel like the content's not bad for that price, but I wish the Tribune wasn't becoming more and more shrouded behind paywalls.  They want $2/wk, which isn't bad, but...still.   

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

"Prestige" sportswriting is done this way ---> Grandiose and/or Overly Ambitious Premise, bonus points if the premise is false or based on a vocal minority, "a lot of people are saying" topic (the Dave Lozo Special).

"People on Twitter" are saying it! This means embedding two or three tweets from likely sock-puppet accounts, which also makes your article seem that much longer. Then when you post your article and actual people on Twitter tell you it's crap, you respond to them in exclusively all-lowercase ironic posts, usually "rip my mentions," "this website is free," and "lol, big if true." You may wonder what someone who gets paid to write but who isn't e.e. cummings is doing eschewing capitalization, but that's just it, they get paid to write, and after all, This Website Is Free, so these good writerly writers need to show that they are not expending effort in addressing their lessers. Gotta save the good stuff for whoever has VC money to burn this month.

• Like 1

I understand the idea of hate watching shows, but does anyone hate listen podcasts?

I asked because Bill Simmons just published a podcast ranking the Patriots' 25 all time best wins. Who, besides Pats fans, would possibly want to listen to that?

It seems like a really stupid move for the Ringer's most visible talent, especially in light of the website relaunch.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

36 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I understand the idea of hate watching shows, but does anyone hate listen podcasts?

I asked because Bill Simmons just published a podcast ranking the Patriots' 25 all time best wins. Who, besides Pats fans, would possibly want to listen to that?

It seems like a really stupid move for the Ringer's most visible talent, especially in light of the website relaunch.

I was just coming to post about this

IMG_5047.PNG.e85eaf4d3a56152a2e30e02e39e35da8.PNG

Like just :censored:ing kill me. Oh my god.

Whats next? Top 50 Pedro Martinez pitches of all time? Top 33 Larry Bird dribbles of all time?

I almost want to do a hate listen, as you said, but I really don't think I could bear it. He's been insufferable enough the last few years with Deflategate on his regular podcasts. I'd probably self-combust trying to listen to that drivel for TWO GOD DAMN HOURS.

No thanks.

Also, I forgot, this is all part of the PATRIOTS WEEK on the Ringer. With such other garbage as Top 16 Dynasty Era Pats and How the 2007 Patriots Changed Football. So not only is he doing it, he's getting his lackeys to write a week's worth of content about it. 

Just unbelievable. A step too far for the Simmons enterprise.

• Like 2

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I've asked that question of The Ringer before. "Who is this for?". That podcast popped up on my phone and I couldn't delete it fast enough. 

His Patriots bubble has made him really tone-deaf to the rest of the NFL fans. He's constantly complaining about Belichick NOT picking up an available player or spending two solid years bitching about deflategate. Even when they post something negative about the Patriots it's about how they didn't always have it so good: https://www.theringer.com/2017/8/9/16119282/new-england-patriots-belichick-brady-2000-team  Suck a fart. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

35 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Even when they post something negative about the Patriots it's about how they didn't always have it so good

Might just be a Boston thing. THE IRISH WERE SLAVES TOO, CHIEF!

• Like 2