The Sports Media Thread

Greg Wyshynski is leaving Yahoo, which means Puck Daddy is going to be a Ryan Lambert blog with occasional wire copy. I'd sooner pivot to video than read that. I'd sooner pivot into a steel post nuts-first, in fact.

• Like 2
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Upcoming posts:

What We Learned: Why PK Subban Is the Absolute Boy

John Tortorella Sure Is a Mindset Expert Brain Genius

37 Charts Explaining Why the Hurricanes Are a 5th Place Masterpiece

The Winnipeg Jets: Worst Team in the NHL or Worst Team of All Time?

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Because of Rams/Chargers scheduling, quirky NFL broadcast laws and London, the LA market will get 6 NFL games on local TV Sunday.

- 6:30 a.m., Saints vs Dolphins, London, Fox 11 (everyone gets this one)

- 10 a.m., Rams at Cowboys, Fox 11

- 10 a.m., Steelers at Ravens, CBS 2

- 1 p.m., Eagles at Chargers, KCOP My13 (Fox game because NFC at AFC. Fox's sister station. Has to be here in case of the Rams game going long. Every minute of every local team's game must be shown.)

- 1:25 p.m., Raiders at Broncos, CBS 2 (This week is CBS's mandated doubleheader. So we get a Raider game directly up against a Charger game on LA TV. That'll be fun.)

- 5:20 p.m., Colts at Seahawks, NBC 4 (ugh, really? That's SNF this week?)

Plus add in Thursday and Monday, LA gets 8 games to watch 16 teams. Half the league. Strange little thing.

• Like 1

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

8 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Because of Rams/Chargers scheduling, quirky NFL broadcast laws and London, the LA market will get 6 NFL games on local TV Sunday.

- 6:30 a.m., Saints vs Dolphins, London, Fox 11 (everyone gets this one)

- 10 a.m., Rams at Cowboys, Fox 11

- 10 a.m., Steelers at Ravens, CBS 2

- 1 p.m., Eagles at Chargers, KCOP My13 (Fox game because NFC at AFC. Fox's sister station. Has to be here in case of the Rams game going long. Every minute of every local team's game must be shown.)

- 1:25 p.m., Raiders at Broncos, CBS 2 (This week is CBS's mandated doubleheader. So we get a Raider game directly up against a Charger game on LA TV. That'll be fun.)

- 5:20 p.m., Colts at Seahawks, NBC 4 (ugh, really? That's SNF this week?)

Plus add in Thursday and Monday, LA gets 8 games to watch 16 teams. Half the league. Strange little thing.

Same quirk for Week 5, this time it's CBS...they have Chargers-Giants in the early slot, while the Rams host Seattle in the late slot; however, that's also Fox's doubleheader week (Packers-Cowboys is the national 4:25 ET game).  The early game will be on KCBS, while KCAL 9 has the (dis)pleasure of airing Seahawks-Rams against Packers-Cowboys on Fox 11.  So counting Panthers-Lions on Fox 11 in the early slot, and the SNF game (Chiefs-Texans), we're getting five games next weekend.

Nothing summed up Ryan Lambert better than him going on Mark Madden's show in Pittsburgh and Mark telling him "don't try doing your gimmick on me, I've been doing it way longer and better than you have". He's nothing better than a pot-stirrer, my last straw was when he spent all of 2010 saying how Dan Bylsma ruined USA hockey at the Olympics because he's a terrible coach and then when the Penguins fired him he said it was unfair because he's a really good coach and it's not his fault Crosby gets injured and Malkin is a head case. Oh and Fleury is the worst goalie of all time despite winning the Cup in 09 and being the Penguins playoff MVP in 08.

A while after, he said on twitter that he was supposed to be on the Mark Madden show but got bumped for RJ Umberger. Mark told him, "you didn't get bumped, I canceled you because my producer booked you without telling me"

I don't always agree with Mark but Lambert was pretty insufferable for a guy doing a bit who got his job stealing content from the Something Awful hockey threads.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Cam Newton laughed at a reporter for asking about "the physicality of routes" and said something about how women can't ask him about football. This meant that Cam Newton literally hates all women and must be destroyed, which was weird, because Cam Newton has been a very sympathetic figure himself for being a black quarterback and in the South at that, but sexism overrides racism, so now he is bad. But then someone found her Twitter account where she talked about how good her dad's racist jokes are and then used the n-word, which may override the original sexism-racism override. You can't tell the players without a program, folks.

54 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Cam Newton laughed at a reporter for asking about "the physicality of routes" and said something about how women can't ask him about football. This meant that Cam Newton literally hates all women and must be destroyed, which was weird, because Cam Newton has been a very sympathetic figure himself for being a black quarterback and in the South at that, but sexism overrides racism, so now he is bad. But then someone found her Twitter account where she talked about how good her dad's racist jokes are and then used the n-word, which may override the original sexism-racism override. You can't tell the players without a program, folks.

In other words, Cam Newton became a bad boy.

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

It's the "ungrateful black folk" narrative which has picked up steam in the last two weeks. That said, Cam has had the biggest target on his back since day one in the NFL for a myriad of reasons, but the pettiness of $hit/spotlight he has to go through has got be taxing. Neither McNabb nor Vick had to endure:

His owner told him, don't get tattoos or piercings.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/6894818/carolina-panthers-jerry-richardson-cam-newton-no-tats-piercings

Letters to the Editor complaining about having his first child out of wedlock.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article52948820.html

The pettiness following his car accident.

http://www.charlottefive.com/9-odd-things-we-learned-from-the-cam-newton-car-crash/

At least as a professional, Jameis went to Tampa Bay, who has run two other black QBs drafted in the 1st prior to him out of town.

Following her future over the next 6-12 months will be interesting. Will she change beats or even move?

Edited by dfwabel

Yea, should've stuck to questions about yogurt and dabbing. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Real life milkshake duck

IMG_2724.PNG.e833069209fd789757acd63d1ba23b5c.PNG

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's not mutually exclusive for Cam Newton to have (1) said a sexist thing that he shouldn't have and (2) been unfairly targeted for criticism because of racism

He actually made a really good apology, it sounded sincere, like he wrote it himself, and wasn't just "I'm sorry if anyone was offended"

1zgyd8w.jpg

11 hours ago, ElwoodCuse said:

It's not mutually exclusive for Cam Newton to have (1) said a sexist thing that he shouldn't have and (2) been unfairly targeted for criticism because of racism

He actually made a really good apology, it sounded sincere, like he wrote it himself, and wasn't just "I'm sorry if anyone was offended"

But ... you should never apologize 'if you were offended'. Someone was offended. Just drop that part from the apology.

I chuckled when I learned that "route running" is slang for guys chasing chicks. If that is where he was really going, trying to make a sly joke, it's kinda funny.  I get that it was offensive, but that makes it kinda funny in my mind.

It's where I sit.

On 10/6/2017 at 1:58 AM, ElwoodCuse said:

Well, it's an unfortunate situation he put himself in, because outside of a couple 3-hour stretches during the season, he seems to be a really genuine, likeable guy.  I was curious about which direction this would go on Facebook from black women....most took the black side over the women side, and some even brought up Trump in their argument.

Not sure it was a "really good apology", though.  I watched it....definitely sounded like he wrote it himself.  And he did manage to work in the "I'm sorry that you got offended" quip, which isn't an apology.

Cam Newton and PK Subban both to follow the same arc of being good guys who find themselves treated unfairly, which engenders a lot of sympathy but also a lot of over-the-top behavior, then both guys turn out to be fallible human beings after all and everyone has to dial it back down a little. They're not made for the nuance-free zone we live in now.

On 10/9/2017 at 6:34 PM, the admiral said:

Jemele Hill got put in time out for telling her Twitter followers to boycott giant corporations that sponsor sports. Hey, go down swingin'.

I'm not a fan of her at all but good for her for at least trying. However, you know ESPN had no choice because she attempted to him them in the wallet.