The Sports Media Thread

26 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Yeah but world-class backbiter Sarah Spain wanted them gone because they're rude and that's a half-hour of TV she could have instead.

I don't like Sarah either, but jeez, dude. At some point it's your problem and not theirs.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It's just annoyingly predictable that she would be involved in this somehow. I joked that she was badgering HR about Katz but then I looked at the other Deadspin story from the other day and it turns out she actually did. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Ringer Podcast guests:

- Bill Simmons' dad bitching about the Patriots or the Red Sox or the Celtics

- Bill's friends from college

- Unbelievably famous celebrity who turns out to actually be a bad interview

- Some VC guy who's on the podcast to shill for something HBO and/or Simmons has a finger in

- Michael Rappaport yells some incoherent half finished thoughts about the Knicks

- white dude talent evaluator (basketball or football only) who speaks in the same cadence about every single player (every player gets 2 compliments, followed with a "but" and one thing he doesn't do well)

- Producer Kid who went to UNC and hates Duke

- Broadcaster like Costas or Al Michaels or Joe Buck who has enough experience to carry the show themselves. These are the best episodes. 

- Ringer employees laughing way too hard at Simmons' jokes

PvO6ZWJ.png

Simmons and Cousin Sal are good content. The House NBA stuff isn't so bad. I don't listen to Jacko podcasts and FF through anything with his dad.

Larry Wilmore's podcast on the Ringer network is very good and completely separate from the other Ringer staff. Also good is Rewatchables, their look into old movies.

The Ringer's NBA-specific podcasts continue to be unlistenable as long as Chris Vernon is on them. He's awful. Kevin O'Connor is good though.

The Ringer should hire Big Wos, Black Trey and...maybe that's it from the old TrueHoop group. The new TrueHoop stuff is okay, but really needs some more direction outside of swearing and doing old gimmicks.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I delete at least half of the Ringer podcasts that come into my feed without even a listen or a read through the description. There's also a bunch I'll listen to the start of, but delete part way through. Others I'll read the description, fast forward to what I'm interested in (although, Simmons' podcast is horrible in listing it's timecodes. Always way off.) I listen to a fair amount, but I delete a lot.

Their problem, to me, is that they're so far into their own bubble at this point. Like, if you weren't listening to any of these from the start, I can completely see why someone wouldn't give *any* of it the time of day. It's a lot of inside jokes and inside threads and the only reason to know half the people on these podcasts is that they spun out from the rest of the Ringer. 

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The only Ringer podcast I listen to with any consistency is the Masked Man show.  I've had to skip around some of the Simmons episodes; I generally like Cousin Sal and Joe House, and as McCarthy mentioned, when he has the likes of Buck, Michaels, Collinsworth (just days after Simmons ripped him on a podcast back in the summer), and other sportscasters, those are generally the better episodes.

I haven't gotten into their NFL podcast yet; I've always liked Mike Lombardi's insight on the NFL, being in broadcasting and spending years in NFL front offices.  Unless Simmons and/or House appear, i could take or leave the NBA podcasts.

So on this morning’s PMT they sort of explained what happened with the ESPN show. PFT said ESPN came to Barstool eight months ago wanting a PMT show and the name was “Pardon My Take” based until a couple weeks ago. PFT didn’t like the name change but Big Cat understood why Barstool changed it.

The two were angry with ESPN for mismanaging it and the people from ESPN who got the show cancelled but they were also angry at Barstool for putting them in the scenario. The two threw Barstool/Portnoy under the bus a bit but Big Cat is more of a “company man” than PFT. It remains to be seen how this effects the PMT and Barstool relationship because PFT (and Big Cat in a roundabout way) said PMT shouldn’t be lumped into the other things Barstool has done.

They also said the first episode almost didn’t air because of why it was eventually cancelled. The show was also supposed to be 20 episodes.

IbjBaeE.png

Eh....doesn't seem like we really lost anything. I've never listened to Pardon My Take, but I have seen my fair share of people who seem to intentionally not take things seriously and/or wear sunglasses on TV for no good reason.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Portnoy's unapologetic douchebro and trump act and demanding "Barstool" be in the title are effectively what killed it. Good. :censored: that guy. 

PFT and Big Cat don't need barstool anymore. They're bigger than the website which actively hurts what they're trying to do and those two should get as far away as possible now. Their association with the rapey sports guys, who do stuff like "Grading the Most Recent Teacher Accused of Statutory Rape" just hit their wallets. I'd be looking at a way out right now if I were them. 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Eh....doesn't seem like we really lost anything. I've never listened to Pardon My Take, but I have seen my fair share of people who seem to intentionally not take things seriously and/or wear sunglasses on TV for no good reason.

The glasses are part of the PFT Commentor anonymous shtick. He always wears them.

IbjBaeE.png

Big Cat owns a chunk of the company, so I'm sure he's still coming out ahead even without the show.

I've consumed no Barstool content but their mere existence makes so many detestable media creatures so angry that I have to support their right to exist. In fact, I'm alt-right now.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2017 at 10:07 PM, The Six said:

The Sarah Spain hate on this board is almost as bad as the Skip Bayless hate.

To be fair, they are pretty easy to hate. I'd say more but it's easier just to PM Admiral and slander her mercilessly. 

From what I've come to conclude in 10 minutes of research, it seems like Barstool is a site that covers sports from an edgy, slightly Republican angle that brings about more criticism than sponsors like since we have a battle of two distinct culture in the zeitgeist right now. One end of progressive thought countered by another end of tolerating and acquiescing said progressive thought. The unfortunate thing is you can't really tow the line of making offensive or somewhat controversial content without somehow possibly offending somebody. I'd love to see something like the OSN come up in a nightly late night block for The Worldwide Leader, but in the end, it seems like they didn't find a clear cut way to spin off their own Barstool-esque content, so they tried to outright buy it up, which backfired in their faces.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Remember when the Bears went to the Super Bowl and there was a whole story like "area woman sells herself online for Super Bowl tickets" and everyone was either disgusted or horny about it? That was her and her big break. Then she made a name for herself as this sort of omnipresent Chicago sports personality where her whole deal was "hey, sports, I'm just one of the boys, one of the dudes, oh, except for these massive jugs on display," and she was always seen here and there, interviewing and being interviewed, sometimes just being in camera shots for no reason, generally just always being around everywhere. At one point she had a show on WGN where she and Walter Payton's daughter went to local restaurants to do one of those shows that I think every market has in some form or another. 

But a couple things have happened since then (let's say 2010, when the Hawks first won). The obvious one is that the zeitgeist has shifted dramatically in the last oh, just four years, really, in all the ways we don't need to explain. The other is that buzzing around Wrigleyville treating beer as a food group will catch up to you hard and fast when you're in your thirties and don't really have a petite figure to begin with. So once she put these miles on, filled out, and developed the voice of the grandma from Dinosaurs, she couldn't really market her Cool Hot Chick personal brand any longer, but fortunately she could get on board the Indignant Online Feminist brand, which she did, quite successfully, such that she eventually won the dang Peabody Award for a movie about guys being mean on Twitter. Now she's at ESPN -- she allegedly got kicked upstairs from ESPN Radio's Chicago station for reporting people to HR -- where she shows up from time to time when they need a woman's/Chicagoan's perspective, and now apparently continues to report people to HR.

tl;dr: Sarah Spain was Barstool before Barstool but picked up the zeal of the convert

• Like 1