The Sports Media Thread

On 11/28/2017 at 6:51 PM, Tracy Jordan said:

I don't get it. What's the point of being able to flex marquee matchups into the Sunday night slot if they never do it? NBC has flexed ZERO games so far this season. At this point it's pointless for them to even have the rule where they can starting flexing in Week 5 because they will never ever change a game that early in the season. I am honestly shocked that they're not putting the Eagles and Rams in a primetime slot. I'd even settle for the Vikings at Panthers. But nobody, and I mean nobody, wants to watch a boring Ravens-Steelers game that will surely be a blowout. Even Ravens fans are bored of watching Joe Flacco.

CBS and Fox get rights to protect some games, so NBC gets the option to flex after CBS and Fox choose their options.

Its not as easy as letting NBC get first dibs (although that might not be a terrible idea for the later portion of the season.

I typically follow http://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/predicting-nfl-flex-schedule-rest-2017-season.html to see what they think might happen.

• Like 1

Also, below is the rules from the NFL

http://www.nfl.com/flexible-schedules

NFL Flexible Scheduling 101

• Begins Sunday of Week 5
  • In effect during Weeks 5-17
  • Up to 2 games may be flexed into Sunday Night between Weeks 5-10
  • Only Sunday afternoon games are subject to being moved into the Sunday night window.
  • The game that has been tentatively scheduled for Sunday night during flex weeks will be listed at 8:15 p.m. ET.
  • The majority of games on Sundays will be listed at 1:00 p.m. ET during flex weeks except for games played in Pacific or Mountain Time zones which will be listed at 4:05 or 4:15 p.m. ET.
  • No impact on Thursday, Saturday or Monday night games.
  • The NFL will decide (after consultation with CBS, FOX, NBC) and announce as early as possible the game being played at 8:15 p.m. ET. The announcement will come no later than 12 days prior to the game. The NFL may also announce games moving to 4:05 p.m. ET and 4:25 p.m. ET.
  • Week 17 start time changes could be decided on 6 days notice to ensure a game with playoff implications.
  • The NBC Sunday night time slot in "flex" weeks will list the game that has been tentatively scheduled for Sunday night.
  • Fans and ticket holders must be aware that NFL games in flex weeks are subject to change 12 days in advance (6 days in Week 17) and should plan accordingly.
  • NFL schedules all games.
  • Teams will be informed as soon as they are no longer under consideration or eligible for a move to Sunday night.

So in other words, you likely wont see many flexes between weeks 5-10 since you can only flip two times, and you dont want to chance it one week when down the road you might have a few intriguing games.

Also found at this link: http://www.ocregister.com/2017/11/14/source-nbc-passes-on-rams-vs-saints-at-coliseum-for-week-12-sunday-night-game/

Three teams may appear in a prime-time game on ESPN, NBC or NFL Network a maximum of six times. No team can be on NBC more than four times between Week 1-16.

Starting with Week 11, CBS and Fox can protect one game from flex scheduling in five of the following six weeks. No games can be protected in Week 17.

I discovered Victory Journal because I saw that Jeb Lund wrote about Tony Romo for it, and it's good, but there's certainly an a-bit-muchness to it all (my suspicions of Nathaniel Friedman bylines were confirmed) that makes me want to revisit my idea I've bounced around here for a site that parodies longform prestige sportswriting. The pitch runs into more than one problem, of course: I can churn out titles like "Aaron Gordon, Instagram, and the Pursuit of Grace" all day, but actually writing the articles to go with them would be much too hard for me to actually bother doing. Also, the joke (they don't suck, so it's, ah, it's funny, you see!) is so esoteric that it would really only be funny to like five people, and because doing the joke any justice requires the writing chops that only the craft's genuine practitioners themselves have, otherwise it's just artless flailing. It's like, how do you effectively parody Ornette Coleman? How do you effectively parody "How the 1985 Denver Nuggets That Won Games 153-152 Were Basketball's Answer To Ornette Coleman"? I dunno, something to revisit down the line, I guess. I think it's been like two years since "Jamie Benn" "wrote" for The Players' Tribune and said "I like to listen to music when I drive to work" and to this day I'm still so mad about how good everyone thought it was. I can't stand idly by forever.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

McNabb and Eric Davis (the ex-CB) got suspended from ESPN; Davis does radio for their L.A. station, but he also works for FS1 (pretty much a regular on both of Cowherd's TV shows)...as if they (Fox) don't have enough to deal with already (and up the 405 from NFL Media HQs).

Warren Sapp and one of Bill Simmons' right-hand people (Eric Weinberger) are also named in this sexual harassment lawsuit.

Disney’s purchase today of 21st Century Fox’s entertainment assets include the purchase of the Fox Sports regional networks (which also includes YES, I believe).

So for those serviced by a FSN get ready for ESPN West, ESPN Arizona, ESPN North, ESPN Southwest, etc.

This also means, for those markets, that the NHL will be on an ESPN property for the first time since 2004.

• Like 2

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

If the FCC approves the Disney/Fox merger, these would be the names of the new ESPN regional networks:

ESPN Arizona

ESPN Carolinas

ESPN Detroit

ESPN Florida

ESPN Indiana

ESPN Kansas City

ESPN Midwest

ESPN New Orleans

ESPN New York

ESPN North

ESPN Ohio

ESPN Oklahoma

ESPN San Diego

ESPN South

ESPN Southeast

ESPN Southwest

ESPN SportsTime Ohio

ESPN Sun

ESPN Tennessee

ESPN West and Prime Ticket

ESPN Wisconsin

8 minutes ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

If the FCC approves the Disney/Fox merger, these would be the names of the new ESPN regional networks:

ESPN Arizona

ESPN Carolinas

ESPN Detroit

ESPN Florida

ESPN Indiana

ESPN Kansas City

ESPN Midwest

ESPN New Orleans

ESPN New York

ESPN North

ESPN Ohio

ESPN Oklahoma

ESPN San Diego

ESPN South

ESPN Southeast

ESPN Southwest

ESPN SportsTime Ohio

ESPN Sun

ESPN Tennessee

ESPN West and Prime Ticket

ESPN Wisconsin

Would Boston and Philly just get lumped in with New York

14 minutes ago, Lenny Dykstra said:

Would Boston and Philly just get lumped in with New York

When I put ESPN New York, i've referred to the possible future name of the YES Network. And I've only make a reference to the New York City metropolitan area, from which YES Network primarily broadcasts.