The Sports Media Thread

20 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Was that case really all that cold? He killed somebody. Jayson Williams is in jail. Why not Ray?

He and his buddies did a great job of covering his ass.

They never found his clothes from that evening and the murder weapon was clean of any DNA.

Everyone knows Lewis did something that night, but nobody can definitively say what.

Scream enough motivational advice at enough people mixed in with some Jesus references and how it’s “for the kids” and people will start to think you’re actually a good person after awhile.

Worked for Jim Brown minus the screaming part.

• Like 3

07-FOX-V3.png

Here's an oddity for the Fox single game on Sunday: DC is scheduled to get a doubleheader, with Panthers-Eagles in the early spot but also Saints-Ravens in the late spot, with Cowboys-Redskins running in the CBS late spot (despite neither team being in the AFC but that's not a rule anymore). So I guess the deal here is some sort of Baltimore-Washington reciprocity where each one gets the other team's games, but because they're both late, the DC affiliate isn't supposed to run against the Redskins at home but also needs to carry the Ravens but also is only supposed to have one game? idk weird.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think that despite the fact that ESPN would be forced to sell Fox Sports Networks, in order to a potential FCC approval of the Disney/21CF merger, due to FCC antitrust rules (which I honestly don't like it, in my opinion), they would likely never give up and keep fighting to acquire regional sports rights.

I’m listening to Gladiator, a podcast produced by Wondery and The Boston Globe’s Spotlight Team on Aaron Hernandez. It’s a well-produced true crime story, examining Hernandez’s life and the different factors that played into his development as a football player and the lead-up to his arrest. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’m listening to Gladiator, a podcast produced by Wondery and The Boston Globe’s Spotlight Team on Aaron Hernandez. It’s a well-produced true crime story, examining Hernandez’s life and the different factors that played into his development as a football player and the lead-up to his arrest. 

I'll have to binge on that one next -- ironically, stuck on the Globe's podcast about the Gardner art heist at the moment.

Speaking of Boston: any cord-cutters have a streaming service that includes NESN? I was about to pull the trigger on Hulu's live TV service but realized that one was missing. Far as I can tell only Youtube TV has NESN so far, but I might be wrong.

• Like 2

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

26 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Bidding for Disney's sale of the 22 Fox RSNs began this week.

In this first round, Comcast will not bid.

But Ice Cube and LL Cool J are bidding with Alex and Ani's Carolyn Rafealian.

So the great question is: Will AT&T bid for the 22 Fox RSNs?.

I'm three minutes into Macolm Gladwell's theory of the World Eugenics Basketball League on the Simmons podcast and I'm deeply uncomfortable.

EDIT: It's actually more stupid than offensive.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

:o go on...

Deadspin is on the case: https://deadspin.com/malcolm-gladwell-goes-on-bill-simmonss-podcast-deliver-1830449233

The upshot is eventually all of the Caribbean and Africa = Nigeria. But it starts like this!

MALCOLM GLADWELL: Before I go any further, let me just say that Nigerians, I have a special place in my heart for reasons I will explain, for Nigerians. There’s two reasons. I’ll give you the first reason, which is, my, I was thinking of this actually, today actually, hilar—when I was a kid, my dad was a math professor. And he had grad students. And the grad students in our household were the revered golden children, right? They would come to our house for dinner, my father would talk about them as if they were his own children. And his first grad student that I remember, when I was six or seven, was a Nigerian. And then he had Indians, and Africans, basically for his entire career. So as a kid, you know how when you’re a kid your reality is defined by the world you live in, I thought smart people, the geniuses in the world, were all Nigerians and Indians!

So hopefully we can be good on Malcolm Gladwell's?

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

17 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I'm three minutes into Macolm Gladwell's theory of the World Eugenics Basketball League on the Simmons podcast and I'm deeply uncomfortable.

EDIT: It's actually more stupid than offensive.

Simmons was smart to not get too into the weeds with him. 

I think Gladwell is losing his fastball. He had a tweet recently that made me go, "I guess all the smart people get dumb and out of touch when they gain a level of notoriety".

PvO6ZWJ.png

At the 1h 18 minute mark, when discussing the talents/qualities needed if two successful athletes had a sports lovechild, it was Gladwell who said, "we're engaging in the most reprehensible form of genetic generalizations, nonetheless".

Yet Simmons was very eager to got back into that bear trap saying, "No, I'm just thinking what's the best blend of those two parents."

25 minutes ago, the admiral said:

White liberals are more than happy to cede black people's innate athletic superiority if it means they can claim the edge on intelligence for themselves.

This is one of those times where you're confusing imagined racism for actual racism being done by people who aren't white liberals.

• Like 2