72Freebie's CHL Redesign(Victoria Royals added 60/60 FINISHED)

72freebie

Here it is, my new thread! this time around I am going to be redesigning the current CHL, as in the Ontario Hockey League, Quebec Major Junior Hockey League and the Q Western Hockey League. I have been wanting to do this for a long time and now that I am done the ECHL, I think I should get it started. I wont be making my own logos and will only be using logos associated with the teams and I may change up some color schemes. Lets Get started in the OHL

First up is the Barrie Colts

This team has atrocious jerseys right now. They are Reebok templates at their worst and The logo really doesn't help them either. I went for a simple design with classic striping that is on the hem,arms and shoulders. I think that this is what they team needs to make the identity look pretty good. i also used red on the road jersey because I feel that there are too many blue teams in the OHL right now. The third jersey uses the horseshoe logo and a unique striping design that integrates the holes in the horseshoe. 

Barrie Colts

Barrie.png

I may as well post two teams for the first post so here is the second team, the Erie Otters. Another team with terrible reebok jerseys. The road is tolerable but the piping looks bad. The home jersey looks really bad with the side panels and it throws the whole jersey off. I chose a very bright color scheme and updated the logos colors so it pops out more. I went for a modern curvy design that starts at the arm and goes down to the hem. For the third jersey, I took their popular script logo and changed up the colors. I used a light blue jersey and some classic striping to make a cool looking jersey. I am very happy with how this one turned out and I hope you guys like it.

Erie Otters

Erie.png

qG3b3mu.pngK0Kq4L6.pnglSDF7kP.png

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am by no means a fan of Erie's current jerseys, but you've managed to downgrade them significantly. Lots of piping, too many bumper stickers, and I don't even know what to make with the red "stripes" with yellow piping. 

Erie is a very old, traditional city with a lot of history, and despite what the franchise has thrown at them, they deserve a traditional look. That's why the old red third jersey is still one of the most popular jerseys at that rink, and the gold third is so popular - it's not the crazy modern crap they've been pushing all this time.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

1 hour ago, hockey week said:

I am by no means a fan of Erie's current jerseys, but you've managed to downgrade them significantly. Lots of piping, too many bumper stickers, and I don't even know what to make with the red "stripes" with yellow piping. 

Erie is a very old, traditional city with a lot of history, and despite what the franchise has thrown at them, they deserve a traditional look. That's why the old red third jersey is still one of the most popular jerseys at that rink, and the gold third is so popular - it's not the crazy modern crap they've been pushing all this time.

Erie is a little much but it is a junior league you can go crazy so i love it.

I have to disagree with Hockey Week, that Erie Otters concept is great, way better than their current jerseys.  Yes there's piping, but it's integrated into the design nicely (unlike say the Flames or Sabres).  Just because Erie is an "old, traditional city" doesn't mean every Erie Otters concept needs to be boring, I'd much rather see a creative concept like this one.

The Barrie Colts concept looks good too, I especially like the third jersey.

stevengrantdesign.blogspot.com - Twitter: @StevenGrant94 - Instagram: @stevengrant94

Next up is the Flint Firebirds. The teams current jerseys definitely aren't my favorite in the league. It the old sabres 3rd jersey template and I do agree that it fits the team but it doesn't look that great because the colors aren't balanced that well. I tried to fix that problem by using more blue and less grey. I used a modern sharp design that I think fits the team very well. For the third jersey, I couldn't resist basing off of the Flint Tropics. I know that the team did do this for one game this year but I am not a fan of the jerseys that they wore for it. I recolored the logo and added some palm trees for a little more character.

Flint Firebirds

Flint.png

On 3/28/2016 at 3:33 PM, 72freebie said:

Here it is, my new thread! this time around I am going to be redesigning the current CHL, as in the Ontario Hockey League, Quebec Major Junior Hockey League and the Q Western Hockey League. I have been wanting to do this for a long time and now that I am done the ECHL, I think I should get it started. I wont be making my own logos and will only be using logos associated with the teams and I may change up some color schemes. Lets Get started in the OHL

First up is the Barrie Colts

This team has atrocious jerseys right now. They are Reebok templates at their worst and The logo really doesn't help them either. I went for a simple design with classic striping that is on the hem,arms and shoulders. I think that this is what they team needs to make the identity look pretty good. i also used red on the road jersey because I feel that there are too many blue teams in the OHL right now. The third jersey uses the horseshoe logo and a unique striping design that integrates the holes in the horseshoe. 

Barrie Colts

Barrie.thumb.png.c652e15d0f1123afed47c64

I may as well post two teams for the first post so here is the second team, the Erie Otters. Another team with terrible reebok jerseys. The road is tolerable but the piping looks bad. The home jersey looks really bad with the side panels and it throws the whole jersey off. I chose a very bright color scheme and updated the logos colors so it pops out more. I went for a modern curvy design that starts at the arm and goes down to the hem. For the third jersey, I took their popular script logo and changed up the colors. I used a light blue jersey and some classic striping to make a cool looking jersey. I am very happy with how this one turned out and I hope you guys like it.

Erie Otters

Erie.thumb.png.9179fae05ebfab5c53d91b16d

I'm a huge fan of the Otters' alternate. I tried something very similar awhile back for a Buffalo Sabres alternate using vertical yoke stripes...didn't turn anywhere near as nice as yours.

The only thing change that I would make would be on the white jersey: changing the underarm/cuff from navy to white. Other than that I like the modern striping a lot. 

That's the great thing about major junior teams, they can get away with unique patterns.

I've got a series of OHL jerseys posted on the concept forum as well, check it out if you get a chance, I'd love to get your feedback.

Next up is the Guelph Storm. The teams current jerseys are okay. They are very simple so its hard to look bad. But I think that with the logo that they have, they could have something more exciting for a jersey design. I chose a curved striping that is big and bold. It may not be the most modern design but neither is the logo and I think that they go well together. The third jersey is a half and half jersey with their cool alternate logo on the chest. I couldn't choose between a grey or red jersey so I chose both. The curved striping to separate the two colors is something that I have never seen before and I think that it would look really neat.

Guelph Storm

Guelph.png

up next is the Hamilton Bulldogs. As many of you know, there was a contest held for the new bulldogs jerseys and color scheme for next year. I am a big fan of the color change because it represents the city but I cant believe out of all the entrants that they just decided to go with the exact same jerseys s the Pittsburgh Penguins. There was basically no point to the contest because it was an already created design. I tried to give them some more identity by using simple striping but adding black upper arms and a yellow yoke on the road jersey. I used the ;old Hamilton tigers logo for the shoulder patch and changed the tigers word mark to Bulldogs. i wish that they would have done something like this because it could represent the city's hockey history very well. I used it on the third jersey and based it on the old Tigers NHL jerseys. I didn't use as many stripes as the original and tried to modernize it a bit but it is still mainly based on the original.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Hamilton.thumb.png.c46992927f0e528cd513e

Awesome stuff, loving this thread so far. I really like the colours on the Erie concept, I disagree that you have to go super traditional with them. Would love to see what you do with my Mooseheads.

Side note, I'd recommend making the template piping on your white jerseys light gray instead of black. Like this (although maybe  bit lighter):

Pens%20Jerseys_zpsogwkfb0q.png

BTW good move not to copy the Pens jerseys for Hamilton, I really like what you've done.

Up next is the Kingston Frontenacs. This team used Boston bruins lookalikes for most of its history but they recently changed to an original, vintage looking design. I am a fan of their current jerseys but I just put my own take on them. I used a large chest stripe and changed the colors of the K logo a bit to suit it more. The third jersey uses the script logo and is just what I think that they should change on their current third jersey.

Kingston Frontenacs

Kingston.png

Next is the Kitchener Rangers. Just because you have the same name as an NHL team doesn't mean that you have to wear exact copies of their uniforms. That's what Kitchener does right now. Their jerseys are literally the exact same as New York'. The one good thing I can say about their current set is their third jersey. it uses their beautiful alternate logo that needs to be upgraded to primary status. So that is what I decided to do. I added gray to the color scheme so that they will stand out form all of the other red,white and blue teams in hockey. The third jersey is based on an older third jersey of theirs with the word mark across the chest.

Kitchener Rangers

Kitchener.png

On 4/6/2016 at 6:13 PM, 72freebie said:

Next is the Kitchener Rangers. Just because you have the same name as an NHL team doesn't mean that you have to wear exact copies of their uniforms. That's what Kitchener does right now. Their jerseys are literally the exact same as New York'. The one good thing I can say about their current set is their third jersey. it uses their beautiful alternate logo that needs to be upgraded to primary status. So that is what I decided to do. I added gray to the color scheme so that they will stand out form all of the other red,white and blue teams in hockey. The third jersey is based on an older third jersey of theirs with the word mark across the chest.

Kitchener Rangers

Kitchener.png

Buy-Now-Button.jpg

Archived