Champions League of Hockey • Group E RESULTS (5/7)

timberwolf

image.png

*note: please do not fill this thread with requests, insults, or telling us how we should do things. This is a concept series and the politics of the game are irrelevant. Don’t go on a rant about laws and what “they” would do. In this series, we are “they” and we’ve been preparing this series for a long time. That being said, sit back and enjoy the show.*

The year was 2018. The Detroit Red Wings, despite a long run, had fallen in five games to the Tampa Bay Lightning. The NHL’s Centennial Year had been a glorious success. The Leafs and Red Wings broke the Winter Classic attendance record, and the Blackhawks set a franchise record against the Blues. Gary Bettman retired from being commissioner of the NHL, much to the delight of a number of people. The new leader was Englishman George McIntyre, a wealthy man who believed that he could translate the success of soccer on an international stage to hockey. Intrigued, the league gave him a chance, starting in 2019.

His first act of business was to allow players to represent their country as freely as they wanted. It meant World Championships and no more disputes about whether NHL players should be let into the Olympics. He convinced the Olympic Committee and it was proven at the 2018 Games, where Canada lifted their third gold medal with a 3-1 win over the Czech, accompanied by record-breaking ticket sales.

In the midst of all the little things, which also included negotiating TV contracts with foreign countries, one brilliant but farfetched idea shone through. The Champions League of Hockey. It had been an idea discussed many years in the making, but no further steps were made beyond rough planning. McIntyre noticed the wild popularity of hockey in North America and Europe and compared it to the thundering audience at a particular Arsenal-Roma Champions League match. By combining the soccer tournament and the game of hockey, his brainchild became a reality.

In 2020, he presented it to his most trusted advisors, and then to the board, and even further to coaches. By mid-spring, all thirty-two NHL teams, including Las Vegas and Quebec City, were on board. George, armed with the signatures of the league, flew to Moscow, then Stockholm, Helsinki, Prague, and even London. When September rolled around, twelve different countries and leagues had agreed to send their best to the Champions League. Planning ahead, McIntyre had set up contracts with TV suppliers, arenas, and merchandise. When the green light was shown, the different industries were already prepared.

The game had changed when George became the leader. International games were more competitive, as Russian teams and other European clubs became wealthier. None could quite compare to the NHL for money, but talent was a whole other story.

The first tournament was set for 2021. Beginning on June 25, twenty-four teams would make the trip to the United States. Twelve cities were selected, spread out around the country. From the twenty-four teams, they were split up into six groups of four, based on performance. Each would play one another once, like the World Cup. After that, the top sixteen teams would be dropped into a Round of 16, where every team would have a best of three against their opponent. Same with the quarters, semis, and eventually the championship, in Washington DC.

I got help from three of the better design buddies. Bradley deBode, Daniel Lowry, and Jay Schreyer. They all willingly pitched in and designed a couple of the teams for me. You’ll notice their logo in the top right corner. Big shoutout to those guys. They will be mentioned in every team they design. We will be releasing the groups one at a time. A first, then B, and so on. The standings and schedules will accompany that and the four team uniform sets as well. We will be putting out one team a day and should go through a group or two in a week. After those are done, we will be putting out the results from Game 1, and then Game 2, and finally Game 3 (if needed) of the Round of Sixteen. One a day. Then the quarters, semis, and the championship. It’s going to be a long series, so sit tight. I read every comment, so don’t think you are being ignored. I won’t be doing updates as much, but if an overhaul is needed, then I’ll revisit that team.

This series has been in development for about a month and a half now, with mostly backstories. Everything is completed and ready to post. My last thread, Hockey Fixups, was to get a feel of the template and such. I apologize for not doing the requests, and I'll probably get back to that thread at some point.

GROUP A

1. Montreal (CAN)

2. Sibir (RUS)

3. Amur (RUS)

4. Rapperswil (SUI)

GROUP B

1. Anaheim Ducks (USA)

4. TPS Turku (FIN)

3. Dinamo Minsk (BLR)

2. Frolunda (SWE)

GROUP C

4. Djurgarden Hockey (SWE)

3. Edmonton Oilers (CAN)

2. Lukko (FIN)

1. Graz 99ers (AUT)

GROUP D

3. MsHK (SVK)

2. Eisbaren Berlin (GER)

1. New York Rangers (USA)

4. Red Bull Salzburg (AUT)

GROUP E

2. Edinburgh Capitals (UK)

1. Dynamo Moscow (RUS)

4. Kolner Haie (GER)

3. Sparta Praha (CZE)

GROUP F

Nippon (JPN)

Ocelari Trinec (CZE)

HC Davos (SWI)

Jokerit (FIN)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GROUP A - MONTREAL CANADIENS (Canada)

The Montreal Canadiens capped off a great year by winning the Eastern Conference season before falling the Rangers in the semi finals. Seasoned veterans such as Galchenyuk, Subban, and Gallagher, as well as the aged-but still gold Carey Price in the goal lead the team.

The design was easy and I wanted some more consistency between the sets. I implemented bolder lines to match the cuffs and collars and added the chest stripe on the road. I also made white more prominent in the set and reduced blue to a number colour and a secondary option. It's a gamble, but I thought it turned out nicely!

image.thumb.png.35e71221f5fdb36e93164b64

Leave C and C! Depending on the number of comments, I'll post Team 2 either tonight or tomorrow. Stay tuned.

1 minute ago, JosiahWVU said:

Looks great. This involves teams from several leagues right? If so I would add a NHL patch somewhere on the jerseys. 

Yeah I flirted with that idea, but it looked out of place. I may add them if it's a recurring comment.

It does look very clean and sharp. I especially like the sober striping. Looking forward to the next teams!

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

Guest darkpiranha

In addition to the league patch, I'd consider putting some sort of Champions League patch or something indicating that they are competing in a special tournament.  As to the league patch, maybe consider something like how soccer puts their league logos at the base of the jersey numbers.  Not that specifically, but something subtle, but easily applicable to any team no matter what their individual league jersey templates look like.   Perhaps instead of the full-color logo, just a one-color league logo so it stays subtle and doesn't jump out (I'm with you on too many patches being a distraction).  

One question you may have answered above, but I'm not seeing it, but in this world, are these jerseys supposed to be exclusively used in the Champions League, or are you intending these to be each teams' new official jersey?  If it's a Champion's League-specific jersey design, I think you have even more liberty to go outside the box on a few elements.

10 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

In addition to the league patch, I'd consider putting some sort of Champions League patch or something indicating that they are competing in a special tournament.  As to the league patch, maybe consider something like how soccer puts their league logos at the base of the jersey numbers.  Not that specifically, but something subtle, but easily applicable to any team no matter what their individual league jersey templates look like.   Perhaps instead of the full-color logo, just a one-color league logo so it stays subtle and doesn't jump out (I'm with you on too many patches being a distraction).  

One question you may have answered above, but I'm not seeing it, but in this world, are these jerseys supposed to be exclusively used in the Champions League, or are you intending these to be each teams' new official jersey?  If it's a Champion's League-specific jersey design, I think you have even more liberty to go outside the box on a few elements.

Great questions, darkparinha.

Adding the patches might be a good idea actually. The one colour suggestion is good. I'll try a couple different places for it tonight. Maybe even on a shoulder or above the namebar, or even a small wordmark on the back of the collar.

These uniforms are meant to be new for the the tournament, and most likely adopted for the team after the tournament. I feel like this would be the ideal time to unveil new uniforms, like the Draft. If I plan to do another tournament in 2022, some teams will requalify and their sets will look similar. Hope this settles your questions! 

First of all, love this idea. A tournament like this needs to happen in real life. 

The concept is really good. I like what you did with making the sets similar. What would be cool is if each team had patch with their league logo, where a Stanley Cup patch would be. And for a future tournament, the winner from the previous year could wear a champion's patch. But overall, great work, can't wait for the rest!

DQdYUuA.png

GROUP A - AMUR KHABAROVSK (Russia)

Since 2016, Amur has gone nowhere but up. Since finishing in the cellar in 2017, new coaching staff brought in some fresh new talent, such as Dimitri Yirashev, who's famous #29 has become the posterboy of the organization. They qualified thanks to an outstanding series against CSKA, which led them to the semi finals.

As for the design, I had two options. Use a crazy design to fit with an incredible logo, or a traditional design, where the logo becomes the focal point of the uniform. I was actually in Florida when I was doing Amur, I saw a guy wearing the new Astros alternate (or something like it). I immediately got inspiration and the set was born. Leave C and C!

image.thumb.png.b176e0334f7b8248d23d38b3

***I WILL BE PUTTING PATCHES ON, I JUST HAVEN'T THE CHANCE***

This is awesome!!! Their logo is such a hit and your design gives it even more power. The only thing I would suggest you to try is to add on the road jersey another thin blue stripe on top of the yellow ones (thin as the yellow one maybe...).

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

GROUP A: RAPPERSWIL-JONA LAKERS (Switzerland)

The Lakers have begun their reign of victory as of last year. The team, with Jackson Greene, a former American, leading the club to two straight titles to qualify for the Champions League.

I intended their uniforms to be modelled after an admirals jacket (to emulate the name and logo). I didn't really get the look I was looking for, but I stuck with it. I didn't hate the outcome. Leave C and C!

image.thumb.png.d0860ee590787fa8d55fd2c5

As always, this entire series is incredible. The update for the Canadiens feels necessary, and is incredibly well done, Amur's logo and uniforms are incredible, and the Lakers jerseys are modern, but still somewhat classic. All around, this is a great job.

Archived