Rhode Island: Cooler & Warmer

JamieRose

For a moment I was surprised that this hasn't been posted yet, then I remembered there are only like 2 active Rhode Islanders on the board.

RI just went through a rebranding process, and some of the local's aren't totally pleased with the results.

First off, here's the new logo, designed by Milton Glaser of "I <3 NY" fame:

5L2bLfh.png

There's an article about the whole thing here.

The best part is this little nugget, though --

The local criticism of the new branding campaign, which was introduced Monday night at a Commerce Corporation board meeting, grew exponentially on Tuesday after it emerged that a related promotional video about the state actually included footage of Iceland.

Although I may not be the biggest fan of the logo (even less the slogan), the entire fiasco surrounding the whole project is the most "Rhode Island" thing to happen in a very long time.  During the divisive time that is election season, at least we have something bringing everyone together!

TDZiMMB.png

13 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

It gets cooler and warmer everywhere else in the country so what point are they trying to make with it?

The creators of the slogan weren't referencing "cooler" and "warmer" as degrees of temperature. The "cooler" they're going for is in the sense of the state being a hipper, more fashionable, more outstanding locale than other states. The "warmer" is meant to convey affability, cordiality, and emotional warmth.

All of that said, it is a lousy slogan and a miserable logo. 

4 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

What a horrible slogan. It gets cooler and warmer everywhere else in the country so what point are they trying to make with it? The logo itself isn't any better.

You can throw a rock from one end of the state to the other. Good luck finding something unique to market.

im only going to ask this question then step out of the conversation here.

having seen/read the public response to this identity, do you all (non designers) feel t should be changed based on the initials reactions? 

follow up question: is this the kind of participation you either want to have or feel is needed in large branding/marketing projects?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

10 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

having seen/read the public response to this identity, do you all (non designers) feel t should be changed based on the initials reactions? 

follow up question: is this the kind of participation you either want to have or feel is needed in large branding/marketing projects?

I actually like it a lot. I think the grumbling is normal complaining you get, but surrounded by some embarrassing sloppiness that gave some alleged credibility to the Internet rage. Like good logos/uniforms that get a bad rap because they're worn by a losing team.  The money they spent isn't far off from what my county (similar in size and population to Rhode Island) spends when you consider the one-time costs involved in a rebrand. It's not the greatest slogan ever, but there's so few home runs there. It does a fine job. The colors and logo are simple, attractive, nautical, and energetic. It seems to do what it needs to do.

15 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

Taxpayer dollars are being spent Dude.  You're going to be accountable to the unwashed masses.

That said, using footage of Iceland for Rhode Island indicates how little thought went into some aspects of this.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

32 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Taxpayer dollars are being spent Dude.  You're going to be accountable to the unwashed masses.

That said, using footage of Iceland for Rhode Island indicates how little thought went into some aspects of this.

Did you watch the video?  The Iceland footage was completely incidental.  From the uproar, I expected it to be something like this:

0002-gallery-iceland-waterfall-1.jpg

Instead, it was a guy skateboarding on a pier that could have pretty much been anywhere.  I think the lady that resigned got a bit of a raw deal in this case, but she was already under fire because she wasn't Rhode Island-y enough.

Skateboarding on a pier in front of an Icelandic landmark.  Using a skateboarder on a pier is clearly an attempt to show the type of scenery you can expect to find in Rhode Island, so using that scenery from elsewhere is an issue.  It's not completely insignificant.

IUe6Hvh.png

11 minutes ago, See Red said:

Skateboarding on a pier in front of an Icelandic landmark.  Using a skateboarder on a pier is clearly an attempt to show the type of scenery you can expect to find in Rhode Island, so using that scenery from elsewhere is an issue.  It's not completely insignificant.

I'm not saying it should stay in there, but a glassy, modern building appears for about a second.  It's being overblown.  Reportedly, the video company at first assured the state that all the footage was from Rhode Island when they were questioned.

5 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Reportedly, the video company at first assured the state that all the footage was from Rhode Island when they were questioned.

And that's more to the point, I think.  

It seems kinda petty at first, but I understand the state being upset about including footage identifiable as another place in a campaign designed to showcase Rhode Island. 

On 4/3/2016 at 10:43 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

Designers and non-designers can have equal opinions on this swing and miss. As an outsider to this campaign and the work that went into it, we're all in the same boat (sorry). 

That being said, it's not really that bad of a campaign. Yeah, "Cooler & Warmer" is super dumb. But for a state that carries the moniker "The Ocean State" and being a major location of the America's Cup, the sail makes sense. Is it cliche and boring? Yeah, but so are most state tourism ads. They're trying to appeal to everyone and it just comes off as bland. 

I believe if it wasn't for the video, which is hilarious, the logo never would've received X-Pac level heat.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2016 at 8:29 PM, Cosmic said:

You can throw a rock from one end of the state to the other. Good luck finding something unique to market.

Cosmic,

You're a Genius!

The new Tourism Slogan...

Rhode Island.... You Can Throw a Rock from One End of the State to the Other!.

Archived