A Swing And A Miss: The Most Wrong You've Ever Been Regarding Sports

FiddySicks

Was very upset when the Red Sox let Mark Loretta go and instead gave the reigns at second base to a rookie named Dustin Pedroia. I also thought Jeff Jillson was going to be an all-star defenseman for the Boston Bruins. Boy, was I wrong...

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, CS85 said:

I think Lovie's hire at Illinois was actually a great risk.  I always thought he was more cut out for the NCAA as far as relationships with his players goes.  I don't know how his football-fu will work at Illinois, but whatever.  Hopefully I'll get to see him around town.

I think Lovie will do well, too. Even if he just elevates Illinois football from laughingstock status to right in the thick of things, he'll have done a great job. As far as relationships go, I think he'll not only be able to get guys to come play for a nine-year NFL coach who went to a Super Bowl, but treat them well enough for them to play their best. His biggest problem, as it was in the NFL, will probably be loyalty to stupid assistants.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Here are two I've seen other people say. I can't think of anything from me because I'm always right.

Anyway!

My friend Kevin thought that USF quarterback Matt Groethie would go on to win the Heisman. I think it was the same week they upset West Virginia and rose to #2 in the country.

My all time favorite was when there were rumors leading up to the '07 NFL draft. To set the scene, Oakland had the first pick, and Detroit had the second. Favre was mad in Green Bay and wanted another big target. There were rumors that the Packers would trade straight up Arron Rodgers for Randy Moss. This trickle down effect would mean that the Raiders wouldn't draft Jamarcus Russell first overall, but instead would've drafted Calvin Johnson, who went #2. Theres a comment on a blog post that goes along the lines of "why would the Raiders trade for an unproven quarterback, when they have a franchise quarterback who can throw the ball 80 yards sitting first overall?" Gets me every time.

I did think Chelsea would win the league this year, even though after my bold prediction, I realized the team hadn't done anything in the transfer market and kept losing preseason games. Also I picked Sparty to win the tournament this year, when they got knocked out by the god damn Blue Raiders.

On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 4:44 PM, raysox said:

I did think Chelsea would win the league this year, even though after my bold prediction, I realized the team hadn't done anything in the transfer market and kept losing preseason games.

Well, in all fairness, most of the time, figuring Chelski at least had a better shot at winning the Premiership than Leicester City would be like the sun rising as far as predictions go.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

26 minutes ago, rickyISking said:

Josh Freeman was the QB of the future for the Bucs. Welp, now he's off fumbling 9 times a game in the FXFL.

I thought he was too, he just had such a good couple of seasons when he first got in the league, but then he just wasn't disciplined which we didn't know in the public until the offseason before he got traded to the Vikings and was expected to know a playbook in something like 4 days and it just killed his confidence for the future.

I thought signing Hassan Whiteside was a waste of a roster spot on the Heat.  

After they lost in the 2008 World Series, I thought the Rays would be back and win one if not more. 

After Trent Richardson trucked a player in his first game, I was certain that the NFL had a new star running back. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

I once thought a Miami-of-Ohio prospect by the name of Nathan Davis was going to be a solid shutdown center for the Blackhawks, almost solely on the basis that the NHL was long overdue for another Jewish hockey player, so a defensive center from a good hockey school in a good hockey organ-I-zation was bound to be the one. Got hurt a bunch, played a season and a half for Rockford, and never amounted to a thing. Appears to be in law school after some time working for the liquor-distribution arm of WirtzCorp, good for him.

I think Mike Brown is still in the league.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I thought Ozzie Newsome made a huge mistake when he drafted another Alabama guy, some ILB named C.J. Mosley over guys like Calvin Pryor and Ha-Ha Clinton Dix. 

spacer.png

I remember one season when Tulo was hurt, I thought that Josh Rutledge had the ability to be a far superior shortstop for the Rockies. 

I also thought the Bills should've drafted Geno Smith over EJ Manuel in 2013.... 

A few years before, I wanted them to take Jimmy Clausen, probably because he wore #7 and went to Notre Dame.

And I have a Bills Terrell Owens jersey. Didn't really think that one through.

spacer.png

10 hours ago, dont care said:

I thought he was too, he just had such a good couple of seasons when he first got in the league, but then he just wasn't disciplined which we didn't know in the public until the offseason before he got traded to the Vikings and was expected to know a playbook in something like 4 days and it just killed his confidence for the future.

I was pretty big on Josh Freeman too.

Pretty much every first round pick I've ever had in fantasy football would be one of my additions to this thread.

IUe6Hvh.png

1 hour ago, dsaline97 said:

And I have a Bills Terrell Owens jersey. Didn't really think that one through.

That's pretty decent though.  There's a weird credibility to those virtual fantasy jerseys yet are real.

Like a Tebow Patriots jersey.  Conversation starter.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I drafted a rookie second baseman by the name of Ian Kinsler number one overall in my '06 fantasy draft. It was auto-pick and he hit .285 or so, but still, not my smartest decision.

QBs I thought would be instant All-Pros out of college:

Matt Leinart

Brady Quinn

Sam Bradford

QBs I knew would be total busts in the pros:

Drew Brees

Ben Roethlisberger

Cam Newton

6uXNWAo.png

7 minutes ago, Cujo said:

QBs I thought would be instant All-Pros out of college:

Matt Leinart

Brady Quinn

Sam Bradford

QBs I knew would be total busts in the pros:

Drew Brees

Ben Roethlisberger

Cam Newton

That's one I forgot, I thought cam newton was gonna be a bust. With all the controversy he had in college I thought for sure he would be a distraction on his new team. And thought he would destroy his locker room. He is a distraction but it's for good/decent reasons like celebrating too much which is really small reason. He also greatly over preformed my expectations of him on the field. 

Archived