American Throwball Association: Cleveland Update

jmoe12

Buffalo Admirals

Founded: 1978

Division: East

Union Cups: 3 (1998, 2005, 2015)

Moelduer Shields: 0

Surprisingly, Buffalo has won the second most Union Cups in the ATA era, despite having never won the Shield. The Admirals rarely tear through the regular season, but have the talent and experience to turn it on come playoff time. The green and orange boast a powerful offensive game, through their defense is a major weakness. But if the potent tandem of Michalleo Broussard and Carlos Delfino can't be contained, it'll be tough to top the Admirals.

9MKPl9V.png

Fairly simple, classic design that remains largely unchanged from their original look. The logo is one of my favorites in the league, and it has received only slight updates through the years to keep it looking modern. The 3 stars above the Admiral represent the 3 Union Cups the club has won.

C&C appreciated!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, jmoe12 said:

The last world cup was in 2015, so the next one will come in 2019. There are continental champions next winter, so I'll probably post some national team concepts after this series to get ready for that.

Alright, can't wait.

Buffalo looks good.

IxkieML.png

2 hours ago, Spanna65 said:

Buffalo logo looks great. Maybe fix the nose however.

The nose was the part I struggled with the most. I tried to find the right balance of cartoony and realistic, and I may have strayed too far on the "cartoony" side. I'll rework it and post an update soon.

If you followed my Club Cup thread, then you've already seen this one. I'll post another team later on today to make up for it

Empire New York

Founded: 1979

Union Cups: 2 (2000, 2004)

Moelduer Shields: 3 (1991, 2002, 2015)

Empire New York was founded by the merger of all but one of the five New York clubs when NATA was first created in 1979. The deep talent pool quickly turned Empire into a league power, and they won several trophies in the 80s. But the other teams soon caught up, and the leveled playing field meant New York could no longer dominate. But wealthy owners have revamped the club with stars from across the globe to hopefully start a new era of glory, beginning with their first trophy in 11 years last season.

VQpD1eW.png

Super simple design, not much changed from the original. New York sports two stars above their logo to symbolize their two Union Cups. The pinstriped clash is an homage to the Yankees and the Mets.

C&C appreciated, the other New York team will be up this afternoon!

Guest darkpiranha

Empire New York has a great ManU/Yankees sort of "everyone hates them because they win" vibe about them.  Are they arrogant and hated, or beloved?

12 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

Empire New York has a great ManU/Yankees sort of "everyone hates them because they win" vibe about them.  Are they arrogant and hated, or beloved?

They definitely are hated, especially on Long Island, but they actually have the second most trophies of anyone in the league. But Empire's tendency to spend huge money on foreign players (Mario Esposito being the current example) and their overall arrogance makes them loathed among most fans, particularly in the East division, where rivalries run the deepest.

Here's part two of the New York Derby!

Long Island Immigrants

Founded: 1974

Union Cups: 2 (1994, 1995)

Moelduer Shields: 1 (1995)

When Empire New York was formed in 1979, there was one city team that decided not to join. That team was Long Island, the most successful team in the Big Apple at the time, who were plenty confident that they could keep up on their own. With more money and more talented players, Empire soon overcame the Immigrants, but Long Island has kept a chip on their shoulder and still play the feisty style they used back in the '70s, a stark contrast to their inner-city rivals.

b2g9Rb0.png

The logo is virtually identical from the original, and is supposed to appear old school. The man in the drawing is Francesco Pizarro, the grandfather of the two founders of the team, Leonardo and Saul Pizarro. Francesco immigrated to the US from Italy in the 1920s, and died in 1971. The two sons decided to name their new club after him to keep his legacy alive. The home kit is based somewhat on the logo, with the red shirt and white sleeves. The clash kit features striped sleeves, inspired by Francesco Pizarro's favorite football club in Italy, AC Milan.

C&C appreciated, who would you support in the New York Derby? 

Guest darkpiranha

What's up with the leg band?  Looks like it has significance.   As to who to support, what's the history?  Has either team dominated the Derby?  As the grandson of an Italian immigrant, I'm partial to the Immigrants.  But I also love a good arrogant dynasty.  

20 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

What's up with the leg band?  Looks like it has significance.   As to who to support, what's the history?  Has either team dominated the Derby?  As the grandson of an Italian immigrant, I'm partial to the Immigrants.  But I also love a good arrogant dynasty.  

The leg band is just something I thought Under Armour would do, as well as something to spice up a pretty bland design. The derby used to be pretty even, with teams trading off through the 80s and 90s, but financial struggles have hit the Immigrants hard, and the rise of powers like Pittsburgh and Baltimore have left the Immigrants on the outside looking in for the playoffs. But they are on the upswing, and were a single point from the #4 seed in the division last year, losing out to Baltimore on the final day.

On the other side, New York just seems to keep getting better, and continue to sign young talent, including wing Dorian Lamb from right out of the Immigrants' academy. So I guess Long Island is more of the chippy underdog, with aggression and heart making up for their lack of skill. Empire is just the opposite, with skilled players to burn, but sometimes lacking in passion and chemistry.

If you like to root for the underdog, Long Island is your team. But if you like to watch teams with an attractive style of play, they don't come much better than Empire

The most successful team in league history, Philadelphia United

Philadelphia United

Founded: 1975

Union Cups: 4 (1992, 1996, 1997, 2002)

Moelduer Shields: 4 (1992, 1997, 1998, 2004)

Philadelphia has experienced the highest highs but also the lowest lows of any team in the league. They were absolutely dominant in the late '90s, hauling in 4 trophies over three years and setting the league record for points in a season (106). But poor investments and a lack of talent in the academy have marred the club since, and United haven't made the playoffs since 2005. A shrewder financial approach has seen United slowly but surely working their way back up, though a long uphill climb still awaits them.

2xRX9Um.png

The home kit features their iconic "round hoops" that they've worn every year since 1981. United (somewhat controversially) has five stars above their badge, recognizing their four ATA Union Cups and their one NATA Cup. They are the only team in the league that does this, and fans the nation over loathe them for it. The clash kit changes quite frequently, this year it's just a simple white shirt with a chest stripe.

C&C appreciated, Part II of the Keystone derby will get posted tomorrow!

Guest darkpiranha
2 hours ago, jmoe12 said:

The most successful team in league history, Philadelphia United

Philadelphia United

Founded: 1975

Union Cups: 4 (1992, 1996, 1997, 2002)

Moelduer Shields: 4 (1992, 1997, 1998, 2004)

Philadelphia has experienced the highest highs but also the lowest lows of any team in the league. They were absolutely dominant in the late '90s, hauling in 4 trophies over three years and setting the league record for points in a season (106). But poor investments and a lack of talent in the academy have marred the club since, and United haven't made the playoffs since 2005. A shrewder financial approach has seen United slowly but surely working their way back up, though a long uphill climb still awaits them.

2xRX9Um.png

The home kit features their iconic "round hoops" that they've worn every year since 1981. United (somewhat controversially) has five stars above their badge, recognizing their four ATA Union Cups and their one NATA Cup. They are the only team in the league that does this, and fans the nation over loathe them for it. The clash kit changes quite frequently, this year it's just a simple white shirt with a chest stripe.

C&C appreciated, Part II of the Keystone derby will get posted tomorrow!

Loving all the different styles that are differentiating it from soccer.  

One thing I think would have been cool for Philadelphia (maybe the clash?) is to see the bell crack as part of the jersey, extending up from the hem.  

15 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

Loving all the different styles that are differentiating it from soccer.  

One thing I think would have been cool for Philadelphia (maybe the clash?) is to see the bell crack as part of the jersey, extending up from the hem.  

Thanks for the feedback, I hadn't thought about using the crack in the bell, but that's a great idea. I'll work on it and hopefully get an update of Philly and Buffalo for this weekend. 

4 minutes ago, JosiahWVU said:

I like everything except the short stripe. Its fine on the home but looks out of place on the away.

I wasn't going to use the curved stripe, but I didn't want two different pairs of white shorts. So, what do you think, blue or red shorts?

3 minutes ago, jmoe12 said:

I wasn't going to use the curved stripe, but I didn't want two different pairs of white shorts. So, what do you think, blue or red shorts?

I would say red because blue is more prominently used. 

IxkieML.png

Rounding out the East Division is Pitt!

Pittsburgh Wolverines

Founded: 1983

Union Cups: 1 (2009)

Moelduer Shields: 1 (2009)

Pittsburgh plays a physical, defensive-minded style of play that has been bruising up the East Division since they joined the league in 1983. The Wolverines have big time rivalries with both Philadelphia and Baltimore, though they have losing records against both clubs. Like Baltimore, their heyday came in the mid 2000s, and they won a double with a whopping 104 points and a Union Cup triumph.

hLFIteB.png

The design is pretty simple, with a classic Pittsburgh black and gold color scheme. The star on the chest represents the Union Cup of 2009. The checkered arm band is a tie in to the city seal, as well as a way for me to incorporate some blue into the identity.

C&C appreciated, updates and the North Division should both start tomorrow!

Kicking off the North Division now

Chicago Mobsters

Founded: 1979

Division: North

Union Cups: 2 (1999, 2013)

Moelduer Shields: 2 (1999, 2013)

Chicago is usually a solid, middle of the pack team that occasionally pieced together a stellar season and brought home silverware. The Mobsters have only won trophies in 2 seasons, but they are one of only two teams to win multiple doubles in the ATA era. The Mobsters rely on a stingy, physical defense that is prone to sending opposing players off injured. This pounding style has made them one of the most hated teams in the league.

4PXhKem.png

This design requires a bit of explanation. For the 80s and early 90s, their logo was a caricture of a Mafia man, but this received plenty of opposition from the PC police. The Kangaroo logo was adopted in 1998. (A group of Kangaroos is called a mob.) The kits remained mostly unchanged when the new logo was released, but the Kangaroo was removed from the left chest and onto the center.

C&C appreciated!

Archived