Cosmic

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Bolland can't play no mo'. How much more dead cap space does Phoenix even need to reach the floor?

They'll be over the floor without any of the dead cap space.

8 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Depends.... if he stays healthy, he could get away as a 4th line Center.

Also, don't know much about Bednar.

He's was former coach of the '15-'16 AHL Champion Lake Erie Monsters last year. Has an good track record in the minors (ECHL and AHL level).

As an Av's fan, I am cautiously optimistic about this hiring.

59ea7286cd78e_NewAvsSig.png.5747971588ea035fdc4dbcf3bf43f77a.png

9 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I was gonna ask....is Bolland going to be an actual player on the active roster?

Can't imagine he would be. Florida disappeared him for good reason. His body has more or less fallen apart. Too bad. He gave the Hawks everything he had.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Are you on stupid pills? There are Leafs fans across Canada. The lack of American Leafs fans is curious, and something the NHL should have done a better job of fostering.

I feel like once the NHL got onto the NBC networks, they pretty much erased any little presence the Canadian teams had, while ESPN's coverage back in the day felt like they showed them more often, especially the Leafs and Habs, with occasional Flames games in the nightcap. I doubt the broadcast schedule from 2004 would support that, but that's the way it feels to me at least. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

They put the Leafs on ESPN over ESPN2 a lot for the playoffs, but otherwise they weren't on in the regular season that much. I think a lot of people forgot after the OLN debacle that even with the rightful criticism that NBCSN relies on the same 7 or 8 teams too much, ESPN was "NATIONAL WINGS OR AVS OR MAYBE THE FLYERS OR RANGERS NIGHT" for almost the whole part of their time in the 2000's. And although they had the regional slots to put more games on than NBC with the singular national window, I could've sworn ABC's four week of games always ended up having Flyers-Rangers twice.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

2000s ESPN was pretty much Detroit, Dallas, Colorado, and Philadelphia, yeah. But no network overexposed a team like NBC did with the goddamn boring useless New York Rangers. Say what you will about the Blackhawks having too many Sunday brunches, but Jesus, at least those came on the heels of championships that don't precede the O.J. trial.

And there I go again with my occasionally surfacing animus toward the Rangers, but that just speaks to my whole point about the Leafs: the Rags are treated as The New York Team as if that means something in hockey the way it does in other sports, where the team is among the most decorated and star-studded with a coast-to-coast fanbase, when in reality it's a fairly localized following for a historically loser-ass team whose roster for the last decade has more or less just been a bunch of dudes named Ryan or something. The Canadiens are our Yankees and yet dumbass Hawks bandwagoners can be heard saying "Montreal has a team? But Canada is another country."

Good points made about the increase for the Devils and Avs. I remember them much more prominently during the high school years, during their not-too-distant glory days. Any Canes or Ducks fans want to voice about national coverage after their Cups? Anaheim felt like a consistent nightcap team, but I don't think Carolina has ever gotten the national ticket, except for when the networks pretty much had to.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Hmm

Thinking in the OLN/VS/NBCSN-NBC era with non-Original 6/Pennsylvania/Buffalo/Minnesota/Washington teams after deep runs (so for this case let's go with conference championship wins), I'd say the bumps went as follows

-Lightning: got on OLN a bit in their title defense season, but the OLN year had really, really random scheduling. Been showing up on NBCSN a lot more with recent success

-Flames: not at all

-Hurricanes: not at all

-Oilers: absolutely not at all

-Ducks: uptick in nightcaps, but not too much

-Senators: got on Versus a wee bit more, but I wanna say still <5 appearances

-Canucks: given the western Canadian teams barely get on, they had quite a few national TV appearances all told. But again, around 5-ish

-Kings: much bigger uptick in nightcaps compared to the Ducks

-Devils: aside from a Devils-Rangers game here and there they didn't get anywhere near the boost they would've gotten in the early 2000's ESPN days

-Sharks: already have a fair amount of nightcaps with the virtue of having a CSN affiliate

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

The Flames-Blackhawks game in 2009-10 where the Hawks came back from five down in the first was on Versus. That's the last time I remember Calgary getting a national game in the regular season. I hope they get some love in the Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett era, even if Brian Burke is a dunce.

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Flames-Blackhawks game in 2009-10 where the Hawks came back from five down in the first was on Versus. That's the last time I remember Calgary getting a national game in the regular season. I hope they get some love in the Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett era, even if Brian Burke is a dunce.

Ah yes, the Miracle on Madison. I remember that game pretty vividly. Served as an odd bit of foreshadowing for the Flames 2nd-half collapse that season...

https://www.facebook.com/nhljets/videos/1101873509893371/

I'm Ryan Lambert and I'm having a conniption fit because Blake Wheeler appears in a video with Dale Hawerchuk and Ryan Carlyle. Sorry, didn't know Blake Wheeler played for the Coyotes. Most people would agree that he didn't.

I just remembered that the Taylor Hall/Adam Larsson trade wasn't some sort of wacky Peter Chiarelli-deal I dreamt of. He actually made that trade.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

4 hours ago, Brass said:

I just remembered that the Taylor Hall/Adam Larsson trade wasn't some sort of wacky Peter Chiarelli-deal I dreamt of. He actually made that trade.

Shhhhhhh...

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

On August 28, 2016 at 4:48 AM, the admiral said:

2000s ESPN was pretty much Detroit, Dallas, Colorado, and Philadelphia, yeah. But no network overexposed a team like NBC did with the goddamn boring useless New York Rangers. Say what you will about the Blackhawks having too many Sunday brunches, but Jesus, at least those came on the heels of championships that don't precede the O.J. trial.

Agreed with your part about the Rangers, I mean their biggest name/best player is their goalie over the past decade. 

I remember one team getting a lot play on ESPN was the Penguins, most notably that year Mario came back. They showed a lot of them after he came back. They were loaded on offense and fun to watch, too bad they got dismantled soon after that.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Archived