Cosmic

5 hours ago, Brass said:

I just remembered that the Taylor Hall/Adam Larsson trade wasn't some sort of wacky Peter Chiarelli-deal I dreamt of. He actually made that trade.

There was a piece in the Toronto Star with Hall the other week.  He seems to just be getting over the emotion of it recently.  Which as many will say - shows he still isn't quite mature enough for what the Oilers really needed to lead.  

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taylor Hall should be thrilled to get out of Edmonton and he should be angry and fired up about how little the Oilers were willing to get in order to part ways. Wouldn't be surprised if he has his best professional season with the Devils this year. Or he'll get injured again and it won't matter. Whatever. 

Anyways, the World Cup starts soon and I couldn't care less!

PvO6ZWJ.png

That wasn't a good trade. RNH was the one who should have gone: McDavid and Draisaitl make him redundant, and he would have returned more value than Hall did. RNH very well could have fetched Subban, Travis Hamonic at the least.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

That wasn't a good trade. RNH was the one who should have gone: McDavid and Draisaitl make him redundant, and he would have returned more value than Hall did. RNH very well could have fetched Subban, Travis Hamonic at the least.

Hall was more valuable than RNH, but yes, they are both separately worth more than Adam Larsson. I'd been saying for a year that RNH needed to go and then there goes Hall. Bleh.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

I think they're very close in terms of value. Hall is the better scorer, of course, but you have to put a little premium on Nugent-Hopkins being a center with an extra year on his contract, plus Hall has to get dinged for injury history and attitude problems (though RNH did miss a ton of this year and never really got it together). I'd say tie goes to the centerman in terms of the trade market; #1/high #2 centers are a more valuable commodity than wingers. But oh well, what's done is done, let's just hope Larsson decides to thrive in Edmonton for some reason and it all works out for the Oilers in the end.

The issue isn't whether they should have traded someone of lesser value for Larsson, it's that they should have traded Hall for higher value. I guarantee many of the teams had the attitude of "Hall or hang-up" with EDM. 

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

This video starting at 0:21 shows this one for one trade fairly accurately... :D (The video might be in Russian, I'm not sure, I only was looking for the highlight..)

Larsson falling behind while Hall gets the breakaway.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

When being woke ruins an otherwise excellent rundown of how much this World Cup will suck:

Secondly, killing a lot of the enthusiasm for a lot of us is the Team USA braintrust was fed nothing but paint chips and ethanol for a couple weeks before picking players and coach. This is a squad and coach the game left behind at least five years ago, and is almost certainly going to get totally embarrassed. Their only hope is one part Bishop/Schneider binge, except Torts probably won’t play either of them, and one part Kane/Pavelski scoring streak except they’re the only line any team is going to have to pay any attention to.

One problem for the Yanks is that there’s at least four forwards and two d-men who would certainly be on the roster if they didn’t have to play for North America, further cheapening this thing. Saad, Larkin, Gaudreau, and Eichel would be a :censored: of a lot better than Abdelkader, Backes, Dubinsky, and Palmieri. Seth Jones and Jacob Trouba should have slotted ahead of both Johnsons and probably even Matt Niskanen. Throw those U-23 players in, and this would be a squad I’d be very excited to see. Instead we get one line that might be able to score, and three lines of misshapen toys and faulty demolition equipment.

Add to that a neanderthal coach in Tortorella, who seemingly has missed the memo on what it actually means to be American, and I think most of us can’t wait to see this thing crash and burn (CALLBACK!). There is no way the US is keeping up with Canada, Team Europe might even be a struggle, and whatever comes out of the other pool if they miracle their ass to the semis, by trying to block a lot of shots and be “heavy.” Backes, Kesler, Abdelkader, Erik and Jack Johnson, and probably even Ryan Suter are going to need oxygen tanks when this thing is over. Team USA wants to play a game that was decided long ago doesn’t get you anywhere, especially on this stage. Seriously, how many of these forwards should be replaced by Hillary Knight?

*record scratch*

Seriously, zero, zero forwards should be replaced by Hilary Knight, because even the 14th forward on the Euro Junk Drawer is stronger, faster, and a better shot than Hilary Knight. She's a great talent and appears to be a genial person, but that's the way things work. There are some bums on this USA roster, for sure, but let's not suggest she could outplay a 30-goal scorer in Kyle Palmieri -- again, if we're being serious.

John Tortorella is the coach of the big kids table US team? I didn't realize there were so few American coaches...

Edit: And why are we talking about Hilary Knight when Phil Kessel is still sitting at home?!?

Team USA is going to be the garbage pail kids and the U23's took a bunch of our good players. That's why I'm pulling for Team NA in a thing I probably won't pay that much attention. 

Also, I didn't need the Columbus Blue Jackets becoming the new favorite team of Trump fans. Thanks, Torts!

PvO6ZWJ.png

Did they mention Torts {throws up in mouth} calling out anyone who would sit for the national anthem, he would sit them from the entire game on the bench?  Because liberty is a left wing conspiracy I guess.

NA defeated Europe earlier exhibition 4-0.

@2001mark

On 9/8/2016 at 11:31 AM, McCarthy said:

Team USA is going to be the garbage pail kids and the U23's took a bunch of our good players. That's why I'm pulling for Team NA in a thing I probably won't pay that much attention. 

Also, I didn't need the Columbus Blue Jackets becoming the new favorite team of Trump fans. Thanks, Torts!

Is this an Ohio thing or nationwide thing? 

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

On 10/09/2016 at 8:07 PM, TorinK92 said:

It was almost fair enough to have the banners with the old team's logo. Now this is just sad.

What's the future of the building once the Sens move to the flats?  I had cousins who moved to Stittsville back in the day because of the place (w/season tix), since moved on.  Guess it'll finally clear up the 417.

@2001mark

Archived