Cosmic

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Marketing departments have two jobs: Get more customers (i.e. local folks into the building) and get your team/company talked about anywhere.

With the assumption that by getting the team talked about they generate interest that either leads to more people buying tickets, watching games on tv, or buying merch. 

None of this really comes into play here. The Sharks didn't raise their brand awareness here. We just made fun of them. 

32 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

Trouba wants out in Winnipeg.

Tell this guy to go piss in his own mouth. Barely breaks 200 games in the league and he's already big-timing his way out of town. Now the Jets won't get anything remotely near market value back for their first-pair defenseman. Let me guess: he'd love to go to Dallas!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

36 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

With the assumption that by getting the team talked about they generate interest that either leads to more people buying tickets, watching games on tv, or buying merch. 

None of this really comes into play here. The Sharks didn't raise their brand awareness here. We just made fun of them. 

The goal of the Sharks' marketing department was to get themselves noticed.  Job done.

I assume some Kings fan took a picture of this billboard when they were in the Bay Area.  Think about it...was there going to be any sort of slogan or rallying cry or whatever the Sharks put up there that wouldn't leave a Kings fan saying "Isn't that cute...come back once you win a couple Cups!"?

So the sign gets noticed by those in Los Angeles.  A guy in Torrance posts said picture onto a predominately North American message board, and now hockey fans in Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa, and Atlanta have noticed it and commented on it.  Chances are, this picture has been posted on other forms of social media by other Kings fans, and hockey fans of every locale will see it shortly, if not already.  Whether it's a good slogan or not, it's getting around, and the Sharks brand is getting noticed.  That's exactly what they want.

It's not that bad, really.  For one, the NoCal and SoCal rivalry goes across all sports, and the Sharks are simply getting in on that.  Perhaps feeding off the newness of Los Angeles getting a football team back...so every sport can have a Bay Area vs. Los Angeles rivalry.  Secondly, hockey is the lone sport of the Big Four where there aren't two Bay Area teams fighting with each other for the same fans in the close vicinity (Giants/A's, Warriors/Kings, Raiders/49ers), so they can play off the "If you want to hate the LA/SoCal hockey team, the Sharks are the lone NoCal hockey to support".  And, thirdly, the Sharks did beat the Kings in the playoffs last season.

One of the main HFBoards mods starts a Sharks business thread every time a sales rep takes a dump. The Sharks' marketing is probably the most discussed on the hockey internet, at least in volume of topics. I can't quantify how much good it does the Sharks, though. It's not like the Bruins, where they did those videos with the bear walking around and really got people talking and sharing. It's just more Sharks content online.

59 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Tell this guy to go piss in his own mouth. Barely breaks 200 games in the league and he's already big-timing his way out of town. Now the Jets won't get anything remotely near market value back for their first-pair defenseman. Let me guess: he'd love to go to Dallas!

Hilariously, the idea of a Jon Drouin/Jacob Trouba trade was very much something that many Lightning fans would have been perfectly happy with seeing happening (and Jets fans, who would see Drouin and old Halifax teammate Nik Ehlers on the same roster again, even though Drouin and Ehlers weren't linemates at Halifax). So figures that Drouin pulled his request and now Trouba wants out.

Weak sauce on both sides, and I wonder just what reason Trouba has for wanting to leave. I guess, at least with Drouin, I could see first-hand at why he was pissed off, and it had nothing to do with locale. 

spacer.png

There was talk earlier in the season that Trouba's agent was demanding over market value as a "Winnipeg tax." Trouba said he's been playing on his off side and doesn't want to but I suspect that could be rectified without a trade, don't you? 

What's so vexing about this is that it comes on the heels of two big-money Canadian teams making bad, self-diminishing trades entirely of their own volition (in the case of Edmonton, I'll concede that one of the 1OAs + Eberle did have to get flipped for defense, and you'd have sold too low on Yakupov, but no one's back was against the wall to do the trade they did do), and now you have scrappy little Winnipeg getting held at gunpoint to make a trade that will leave them much worse off. All anyone talks about now is how important it is to draft young impact players (Team North America had people masturbating harder than XHamster ever could), but what happens when you draft an impact player, he demands a trade in his first RFA summer, and you lose him for pennies on the dollar because he took all your leverage?

Trouba for Subban or RNH would been a win-win and saved us all a lot of hair-pulling. Now all I expect the Jets to get back is like Patrick Eaves and a third. THUMP-THUMP GETTING THUMP-THUMP EMASCULATED

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

but what happens when you draft an impact player, he demands a trade in his first RFA summer, and you lose him for pennies on the dollar because he took all your leverage?

That's why you need to draft Good Canadian Boys.  They wait until they're UFAs to bolt to Florida/California.

55 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Spezza was under contract when he demanded a trade to Not Canada.

He was born in Canada, but his father was a fiery Italian.

Edit: I'm surprised Don Cherry allowed him on the IceDogs.

So Clarke MacArthur after a season in which he only played 4 games due to concussion was hit from behind by newcomer Patrick Sieloff and was needed to be helped off by teammates. Well, some of the big guys on the team didn't like that so much. First, Ryan went after Sieloff and got a piece off on him. Then Neil and Brassard wanted some of Sieloff. Sieloff was then taken off the ice in fear of retaliation from his teammates. Here's a video of the situation.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Now all I expect the Jets to get back is like Patrick Eaves and a third.

Or as we know it in Boston, a quintessential Peter Chiarelli trade.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

On September 25, 2016 at 1:35 PM, TRoyConcepts said:

So Clarke MacArthur after a season in which he only played 4 games due to concussion was hit from behind by newcomer Patrick Sieloff and was needed to be helped off by teammates. Well, some of the big guys on the team didn't like that so much. First, Ryan went after Sieloff and got a piece off on him. Then Neil and Brassard wanted some of Sieloff. Sieloff was then taken off the ice in fear of retaliation from his teammates. Here's a video of the situation.

So for Anyone counting thats Spezza to the stars; with Paul, a bag of pucks, and the end of MacArthur's career to the Sens

So last summer, Marc Bergevin kept saying that Weber is a diamond in the rough. From what I've seen, as far as tonight is concerned, the real diamond in the rough is in fact Alexander Radulov. Not Shea Weber.

Radulov is a brillant playmaker and talent. 65 points in 53 games, last season in the KHL.

Andrew Shaw is another good, maybe great acquisition for the other lines. If PK was never traded, this offseason would have been graded an A+. Not an F.

I fear that at the first home game of this season, Habs fans at the Bell Center are going to boo Shea Weber when the announcer calls his name, during the line-up introductions. I understand the frustration, but part of me will feel bad for him if this happens. It's not his fault he was traded.

Thinking about it more, I don't think the Weber-Subban trade is going to be as disastrous as it was made out to be. Don't get me wrong, it's an undeniable downgrade on paper: you've gone from one of the five best defensemen in the league (Doughty, Keith, Karlsson, Subban, Hedman, rank as you wish) to one of the top 15 to 20 in Weber. Being considerably older, he's going to be considerably worse a few years down the line, but it's possible in the short-term that the difference in skill sets and intangibles means Weber does just fine with the Habs for a year or two. And yeah, I said it, I do believe that a lesser player, within reason, can be a better interpersonal fit among given teammates and yield a net benefit, but we're talking about the difference, like I said, between the 4th/5th best in the world at a position and the 15th-20th best in the world at a position, not between 4th/5th best and any old back-slapping trash-talking plug. You can quantify a great deal of the game, but there's still too much of hockey that may as well be voodoo. It's a funny paradox of the progressive hockey movement that they marry the worst beep-boop tendencies of the STEM nuts with the worst touchy language games (can't say B---kh--ks!) and social concerns of the bougie feminists, who otherwise crap all over charts and stats as encumbrances to "lived experience."

But that's all pretty far afield. The Habs will go as Price goes but still underachieve because their coach is a knob. That's about the long and short of it.

27 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Habs will go as Price goes but still underachieve because their coach is a knob.

Amen. There's one more move that needs to be made. And that is to acquire a new head coach.

Weber has a better slapshot. The rest of his play? It's up for debate. As of right now, Habs fans are currently 70/30 against the trade.

Just because the Subban-for-Weber deal was dumb doesn't mean Shea Weber isn't still a damn good defenceman. I'd rank him in my top 10, easy. I think the Habs overall got better this summer with the addition of Shaw and Radulov making up at least short term for the loss of Subban.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

It's a win-now trade for a team that I'm not reasonably sure can win now. I mean, anything's possible in the playoffs, yeah yeah yeah, but even that's big talk for a team that spent two-thirds of last year losing nearly every game they played. I wish them well.

13 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

So last summer, Marc Bergevin kept saying that Weber is a diamond in the rough. From what I've seen, as far as tonight is concerned, the real diamond in the rough is in fact Alexander Radulov. Not Shea Weber.

Radulov is a brillant playmaker and talent. 65 points in 53 games, last season in the KHL.

Andrew Shaw is another good, maybe great acquisition for the other lines. If PK was never traded, this offseason would have been graded an A+. Not an F.

I fear that at the first home game of this season, Habs fans at the Bell Center are going to boo Shea Weber when the announcer calls his name, during the line-up introductions. I understand the frustration, but part of me will feel bad for him if this happens. It's not his fault he was traded.

I wouldn't call Radulov a diamond in the rough, play-wise. He always had star, even superstar potential. He just had so many discipline and off-ice issues during his tenure with the Preds, he developed a reputation as being more trouble than he's worth. If he really has matured, like he claims, the Habs picked up a hell of a player.

Booing Shea Weber would be incredibly frustrating to see. He's still a great defenseman, and a great leader. Montreal picked up a player that's easy to love, from a fan's persepective. It'll suck if the fanbase doesn't give him a chance.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived