Cosmic

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/29/2016 at 3:32 PM, HedleyLamarr said:

Wouldn't it benefit Canada if a defense pairing has experience playing with each other?

They've almost all played together before from past tournaments

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 0:01 PM, Still MIGHTY said:

Dustin Brown has been stripped of his captaincy by the Kings.

Something that (for some reason) matters in hockey and no other sport.

And yea, he's always been a pretty terrible player. You should be at least be good if you're going to "lead".

6uXNWAo.png

WC rosters announced & I discovered I still care absolutely nothing about it.  

Mini rant- the Hockey World Cup should invite teams from around the world, make it a 16 team tournament- including automatic invite for the best African, Asian/Oceanic, & South American sides.  

I'm not joking.  It's getting old having the same band of teams play ring around the rosie.  I know there are teams from those regions who could ice a team, I've wiki'd that type of stuff when I'm very bored.

Hell, create South American, African, & Asian/Oceanic continental rosters if you must, like this year's Rest of Euros.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

On May 28, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Still MIGHTY said:

Nope. Subban didn't make it for Canada but JAKE MUZZIN did. 

So I'm going to just say it, and I don't like having to because I am generally proud of my country, but Hockey Canada's treatment of P.K. Subban has to come down to race, right?

Being denied the captaincy of the Canadiens was disheartening but expected given that it's the Québécois, I expected better from Hockey Canada. 

So I'll be pulling for Scrub Europe in this. Both to protest this behaviour on Hockey Canada's part and in recognition of what a slapdash exercise this whole tournament has been.

58 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

So I'm going to just say it, and I don't like having to because I am generally proud of my country, but Hockey Canada's treatment of P.K. Subban has to come down to race, right?

Being denied the captaincy of the Canadiens was disheartening but expected given that it's the Québécois, I expected better from Hockey Canada. 

So I'll be pulling for Scrub Europe in this. Both to protest this behaviour on Hockey Canada's part and in recognition of what a slapdash exercise this whole tournament has been.

Or maybe because he isn't as good as everyone thinks he is? Yea I'll go with that.

On 5/31/2016 at 2:00 PM, TRoyConcepts said:

Ken Hitchcock retiring from coaching after this season

I am fine with this.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

19 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Nah. He's pretty good. Certainly better than Jake :censored: in' Muzzin.

Well duh, but people are acting like he was a lock for this team, which he was not. 

5 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Uhm. What? That's a pretty big generalization, and completely unwarranted. The players voted for Pacioretty as the captain.  If anything, most Québécois didn't understand the nomination, as they all thought Subban would be the next captain.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Did Subban turn down the offer to play?

Sure, a guy should want to play for his nation no matter what, but this isn't the Olympics or Worlds or World Juniors...it's a weird international tournament featuring a couple of Etcetera teams being held right before the NHL season.  I wouldn't put it past him or others in wanting to skip this tournament.

4 hours ago, pollux said:

Uhm. What? That's a pretty big generalization, and completely unwarranted. The players voted for Pacioretty as the captain.  If anything, most Québécois didn't understand the nomination, as they all thought Subban would be the next captain.

I'm just commenting on the generally xenophobic nature of Quebecois culture. My dad's family's all Montreal Jews, so I think I have some authority to speak on that. And there's Jacques Parizeau's "money and ethnic vote" remark. Also the Parti Quebcois Values Charter that called for the banning of religious garments, but gave a pass to Roman Catholicism. It's a trend is what I'm saying.

I'm more than willing to concede it's something that the younger generations of Quebecois have moved past, but historically speaking? It's been something of a constant.

5 hours ago, TRoyConcepts said:

Well duh, but people are acting like he was a lock for this team, which he was not. 

A lock? No, but that's only because there are so many talented Canadian options at defence. Jake Muzzin is not one, however.

2 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Nope.

22 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

And there's Jacques Parizeau's "money and ethnic vote" remark.

Guy went up on a stage and said "we lost because, welp, the Jews, what are ya gonna do" years before Donald Trump had ever thought about seeking public office. And people say Canada is behind the curve!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Are the players even able to turn down an invite?  I haven't heard about anyone turning down a spot, and I don't think there have been enough notable "snubs" to suggest that they're keeping it private.  Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine the players having near-unanimous enthusiasm for this nothing tournament that will keep them away from their teams for so long and possibly get them hurt in the preseason.  I'd imagine the NHL and NHLPA worked something out?

Hampus Lindholm turned down a Sweden spot to continue full rehab of an injury for the NHL season, but that's the only one I know of. I'm sure there could be a couple like that for some of the rosters, but like you said, not enough "notable" ones.

The most notable would be Kessel and Subban, but I'd say Kessel looks perfectly fine right now and Subban's been snubbed by the same group before. So who knows on that front.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived