• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

More of the Hosei uniforms this year.

I received a comment on Facebook saying that the change in mascot and uniforms was because of the Native American mascot controversy. Honestly, I don't buy it. Why would this necessitate a change in Japan of all places? A place where there are statistically no Native Americans (outside of a few exceptions I'm sure). It just doesn't make much sense to me. And it's not like they are the Redskins, Braves, Indians, or the name of a specific tribe, just the Tomahawks. It would be like calling a team the Swords or the Daggers. I'm not seeing the need to have changed it and if there is a reason, I don't think a controversy going in the US would be the reason.

FB_IMG_1506170908495.jpg

FB_IMG_1506165635059.jpg

On 9/26/2017 at 2:36 PM, CrimsonBull9584 said:

More of the Hosei uniforms this year.

I received a comment on Facebook saying that the change in mascot and uniforms was because of the Native American mascot controversy. Honestly, I don't buy it. Why would this necessitate a change in Japan of all places? A place where there are statistically no Native Americans (outside of a few exceptions I'm sure). It just doesn't make much sense to me. And it's not like they are the Redskins, Braves, Indians, or the name of a specific tribe, just the Tomahawks. It would be like calling a team the Swords or the Daggers. I'm not seeing the need to have changed it and if there is a reason, I don't think a controversy going in the US would be the reason.

FB_IMG_1506170908495.jpg

FB_IMG_1506165635059.jpg

I think the people of Japan wanted to be respectful and maybe had an understanding that it could be offensive so they cut it. With football being relatively new there, I doubt fans were generationally invested in the name they way we are with ours here.

ATL

On 9/28/2017 at 3:43 PM, mike2sana said:

I think the people of Japan wanted to be respectful and maybe had an understanding that it could be offensive so they cut it.

Possible. I don't know my personal experiences and studies makes me think twice. I don't know, it's just really odd to me. I really want an official explanation from Hosei, but they never respond to my e-mails.

On 9/28/2017 at 3:43 PM, mike2sana said:

With football being relatively new there, I doubt fans were generationally invested in the name they way we are with ours here.

I'd be negligent if I didn't point out that American football in Japan predates the bombing of Pearl Harbor. In fact, Hosei University has been playing football since 1935.

Found these awesome pictures from the Hokkaido League. They are awesome in that they have the players in their primary jerseys holding their helmets. First pic like this I could find for the Hokkaido League.

In this picture of League 1 (from left to right):

Sapporo Cubs, Hokusei Gakuen Pirates, Hokkai Gakuen Golden Bears, Hokkaido Big Green, Obihiro Cowboys, and Sapporo Gakuin Crimson Knights.

20424058_1618390538180318_6256038724061206687_o.jpg

These are the League 2 teams:

Nodai Fighting Radish, HSUH First Molars, Kushiro Snipers, Muroran Tech Black Panthers, and the HUS Wolves.

20413898_1618390541513651_7954799888945609585_o.jpg

While I know this thread is more about the uniforms and logos for each team, I wanted to bring up the playoffs because 1) better to put it here than start a new thread and 2) I just don't understand this.

So for those who are not int he know, there are eight conferences for Japanese college football; Kanto, Hokkaido, Tohoku, Chushikoku, Hokuriku, Kansai, Kyushu, and Tokai. The playoff is in a West and East bracket. Now you'd think that the payoffs would have four teams in the West and four in the East... actually, no. Because of geography, the West bracket has 3 leagues (Kanto, Hokkaido, and Tohoku,) and the remaining 5 are in the West. Makes sense given geography, kinda like how most college football teams in the Power Five are in the southeast, its similar in Japan. Okay, but that makes sense, 5 teams on one side of the bracket and 3 on the other, except... they kinda mess that up to. I've posted two variations of the bracket for this year's playoffs. You'll notice two major things: First, you see that the Kansai and Kanto leagues (the two major leagues in the country) are both given the most byes of any conference in the playoffs and 2) the Kansai league (starting this year it would seem) gets the top two teams into the playoffs. What?

One of the reasons why I think we need a 12 team playoff in FBS is that I think it would be the most fair. You have 10 FBS leagues, so have a playoff with the 10 FBS champions and two at large teams. Makes the most sense to me. And for a time the Japanese playoff made sense to me, until I started looking into it. Not only dose the current playoff format favor the two major leagues in the country, but now there are increase the chances of the Kansai league to win it all. Why? I've contacted a friend of mine in Japan to help me understand it, but without that, what sense dose it make to do this? It would be if every year the SEC automatically got two spots in the college football playoff. Would that be fair? Hell no! We would't stand for it. So how/why is Japan getting away with this? 

I just don't understand playoffs in general anymore. The NFL is fine, FCS is fine, but some leagues have to make it so complicated and bias. Why do some playoffs always want to favor particular leagues or teams? And why do the other leagues stand for it? I've asked for a long time as to why the MAC, C-USA, Mountain West, Sun Belt, and American allow for the Power Five schools to let them do what they want and not push back for more equality and fairness in the post season, but I never get an answer.

To cut this short, anyone else not understand this playoff structure? Or if you do, can you explain it?

tournament72th.png

yagura_f.png

• 4 weeks later...

November 4th was the 30th Pine Bowl in Sendai. It was the "North Japan Championship" that pitted the Hokkaido league champions vs the Tohoku league champions. The Tohoku Hornets beat the Hokkaido Big Green 14-3. The Hornets will go on to play the winner of the Kanto league on December 3rd and the winner will be the West Japan Champion and play in the 72nd Koshien Bowl. 

Here is a link to some information about the game and a few pics of the game. Hokkaido is in white and Tohoku is in green. Not a bad uni match up, but Hokkaido has the superior uniforms.

http://tcaa.jp/pinebowl2017/PineBowl_result.html

IMG_59031.JPG

IMG_59761.JPG

IMG_56871.JPG

IMG_5573_1.JPG

IMG_59551.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2018 at 2:31 PM, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Today was the 71st Rice Bowl in Japan. The pro team beat the college team. Here is the games logo and the MVP. This is Colby Cameron from La Tech. C-USA in Japan! I'll post some game pics when they post. Haven't seen any yet.

MbXCM6XMQ67S7KYcp14afnWHuhkOE5dDAVrn9O1B

10pV6nA0W3vxgWLwGALm-7qhFeVrftRTtJr6yaNS

http://www.gettyimages.com/event/fujitsu-frontiers-v-nihon-univ-phoenix-71st-rice-bowl-775098061#gino-gordon-of-fujitsu-frontiers-celebrates-a-touch-down-during-the-picture-id901158258

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Teikyo University has recently changed their name from the "Assassins" to "Gladiators". I'm told by the team, via Twitter, that it was changed over concerns of how violent the name sounds. However, check out this banner from a football game this year (the name change hasn't taken effect yet, it will in the fall). I'm thinking that the logo might have had a part in why the name was changed. 

35975616_2122728944662039_31149271015982

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
8 hours ago, InsideSportJapan said:

Might interested you but we are currently working on power rankings for all 180 or so college football teams in Japan.

Should be released sometime in the next couple of weeks on our social media channels.

I don't care much about the ranking, but more about an official list of every team sounds awesome!

Archived