Minnesota North Stars Rebrand Petition

VancouverFan69

I know it's the same song and dance for many of my fellow posters but for those who long the return of the North Stars, there is a petition to get the Wild to re-brand and acquire the rights to the North Stars' history. 

Here is the link:

https://www.change.org/p/national-hockey-league-bring-the-north-stars-name-and-history-back-to-minnesota?recruiter=21874203&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=mob-xs-share_for_starters-reason_msg

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get it,but I don't think the NHL will do it. Just look at the Jets. The Coyotes own the original Jets history and the current Jets own the Thrashers identity. The Wild also won't rebrand. It will be a complicated mess with Dallas. I understand it worked in the NBA with the Hornets, but for us sports buffs, we understand it what happened. I try to explain it to my sister,and she got confused. I think it will never happen, but never say never!

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Well, with the Dallas Stars pretty much owning the Stars moniker, I think it would be impossible to bring back the North Stars nickname, unless Dallas suddenly changes their name or allows it to be used.. I did, however, like the North Stars name, and their logo was nice. I just can't see this being allowed with Dallas being the Stars team in the NHL.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

32 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

Well, with the Dallas Stars pretty much owning the Stars moniker, I think it would be impossible to bring back the North Stars nickname, unless Dallas suddenly changes their name or allows it to be used.. I did, however, like the North Stars name, and their logo was nice. I just can't see this being allowed with Dallas being the Stars team in the NHL.

Bingo, the North Stars are the Dallas Stars.  That's why the team has stuck with, more or less, the same identity and namesake since 1967.

Once upon a time I would have wanted Minnesota to reclaim the North Stars identity, but I love the Wild logo and identity. It has definitely aged well.

I will say though, I can understand locals who may crave the return of what they see as a stolen identity. 

Had a petition to keep the name and logs in Minnesota (but NOT the history) been circulated when they moved, I would have signed it.  Had Dallas dropped the name or even kept it an ignored their Minnesota history, I'd have signed something (again if the phony history swap was not included) when the franchise was awarded.  But none of that happened.  Time (long past time, really) to move on.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

11 hours ago, 2001mark said:

How mainstream is that cause in Minnesota?  

Not at all.  At least I hope not; because if so, they needed to do a better job on the petition write-up.  Any random person can start a petition nowadays and it looks like that's what happened here.

Yeah, you see North Stars hats and shirts in the Twin Cities; often on people too young to remember the North Stars.  But not to Brewers Ball-in-glove levels.  Despite the constant mediocrity (and the non-sell-out outdoor game), the love of high school hockey, and the awful name, people here embrace the Wild.  They still sell pretty much all of their tickets and plenty of merchandise.

The Charlotte franchise needed to be the Hornets to be embraced.  This one does not need to be the North Stars in order to be embraced.  Would people like this?  Some would.  But very few of them are truly clamoring for it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

I'm not in favor of Cities retaining histories. If a team moves that teams record books and history should move as well.

In football Jamal Lewis and Ray Rice should have been chasing Jim Brown's legacy and records.

In Indianapolis Peyton Manning broke Johnny Unitas' all-time passing record.

At least have consistency... The way the NFL "bent over" for the cry-baby Cleveland Fans was ridiculous.

On this more direct issue. I thought Dallas dropped the ball when the North Stars relocated. I thought a natural progression from North Stars would have been to name the team the Dallas Lone Stars.

12 minutes ago, MC Buffalo said:

On this more direct issue. I thought Dallas dropped the ball when the North Stars relocated. I thought a natural progression from North Stars would have been to name the team the Dallas Lone Stars.

I believe that was the original plan, but Lone Stars is a terrible name for a multitude of reasons.

Even before that, apparently they were all set to move to Anaheim and become the Los Angeles Stars - but then the Ducks happened instead.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

3 minutes ago, MC Buffalo said:

I'm not in favor of Cities retaining histories. If a team moves that teams record books and history should move as well.

In football Jamal Lewis and Ray Rice should have been chasing Jim Brown's legacy and records.

In Indianapolis Peyton Manning broke Johnny Unitas' all-time passing record.

At least have consistency... The way the NFL "bent over" for the cry-baby Cleveland Fans was ridiculous.

I agree with the non-bold...but it's an argument we've had a hundred times here so I don't know if we want to go down that road too far.

Speaking of discussions we've had a lot, a lot of people think "Lone Stars" is bad because of pluralizing "lone".  I think they went the right way with "Stars."  

It was a different era then.  The expansion Ravens had not pilfered so many Browns players that the Browns had to take three years off.  Nobody thought to mess with histories.  And most teams kept their names upon relocation.  And while "Minnesota Senators" would have been bad, "Utah Jazz" and "Los Angeles Lakers" were retained.  The Colts, Kings (NBA), and Flames all kept their names.  Sure we had name changes too, but the norm was obviously to keep the history.  So while North Stars would not have worked, being "Stars" made sense.  It's an "Expansion Six" franchise and the history is nice and obvious.  

Had it happened after the Cleveland Deal, who knows?  Truth be told, I'd have loved if they had a Winnipeg situation (i.e., the second Minnesota North Stars franchise) but with a carbon copy of the North Stars logo. I appreciate how they NHL handled the Winnipeg situation.  But I also appreciate pretty much all of how Dallas handled it.

POTD (Shared)

As a Wild fan and a Minnesota Hockey History fanatic, I would love to have the North Stars back, but I love the Wild even more. And with the History of the franchise and what-not, both the State and the Franchise have the history. All the memories happened in Minnesota, or while they were in Minnesota, but those records and logos belong to Dallas. They don't use the logo anymore, which helps in it being sold in Minnesota. Dallas fans can look up their team history and enjoy it, but only Minnesota Fans got to experience it first hand. But as much as I wish the Stars never left, I love the Wild, and have fresher memories with them, ie. Andrew Brunette and Nino Niederreiter game 7 OTs, the Stadium Series game, all the games I've been to, etc... 

I'd rather have the Wild than the North Stars... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

22 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

As a Wild fan and a Minnesota Hockey History fanatic, I would love to have the North Stars back, but I love the Wild even more. And with the History of the franchise and what-not, both the State and the Franchise have the history. All the memories happened in Minnesota, or while they were in Minnesota, but those records and logos belong to Dallas. They don't use the logo anymore, which helps in it being sold in Minnesota. Dallas fans can look up their team history and enjoy it, but only Minnesota Fans got to experience it first hand. But as much as I wish the Stars never left, I love the Wild, and have fresher memories with them, ie. Andrew Brunette and Nino Niederreiter game 7 OTs, the Stadium Series game, all the games I've been to, etc... 

I'd rather have the Wild than the North Stars... 

I am just curious as to how old you are...that neither validates nor diminishes your argument but I am guessing there is some correlation between younger fans favoring the Wild and older ones favoring the North Stars.

My senior year of high school is the last year of the North Stars.  So I am fairly old.

While I agree with the premise of your post, my love for the Wild has never approached what it was for the North Stars.  There are probably several reasons...like "love" was more of a thing for me in sports when I was a kid.  And the fact that I moved away for 12 years right when the North Stars left...and the sting of losing a team and having to adjust to a new one as an adult.

But I think you alluding to favoring the Wild is probably prevalent to younger fans. And as time goes on (and new fans come of age and old ones, um, die; and more time passes), the pendulum will swing further in the "Wild" direction.

(The terrible, terrible name "Wild" does play a small part in this; and even pushes me an inch toward wanting to see a historically-honest name swap.)

POTD (Shared)

I normally don't chime in on the whole relocation history thing but I feel that the team should be treated as an expansion team. Just like @hawk36said, the history should stay with the former city (for example, the Montreal Expos should retain its history). But the Minnesota North Stars issue is moot because too much time has passed.

Here we go again...

Did the colors/nickname stay the same? The team should be compelled to honor the history fully!

Did the colors, nickname, or both change entirely? It's entirely up to the team in that case! - The record books should not be altered however. That's not only dishonest, it's also confusing.

Also, @hawk36, keeping the records in St. Louis for the Rams is simply silly. Their won't be another "St. Louis Rams," so who will claim the records?

Archived