Coca Cola merging all Cokes into one look...

2001mark

From reading the article, I get the idea behind it, BUT....

The designs are ugly.

I may be over thinking it and reaching for possible issues, but I can see people grabbing a diet, zero, life thinking they bought a plain old Coke and getting pissed when they get home.

Where are the Caffeine Free, Cherry Coke, Diet Caffeine Free, Vanilla Coke, Vanilla Zero Coke and Diet Chery Coke cans?

I agree that by 2017 when they are even considering the US market, this experiment will have died it's timely death and we never see them in the US. Except in the aisle where you can currently buy glass bottles of Mexican Coke, Pepsi, Fanta etc... maybe a can or two will show up there.

2 hours ago, MC Buffalo said:

From reading the article, I get the idea behind it, BUT....

The designs are ugly.

I may be over thinking it and reaching for possible issues, but I can see people grabbing a diet, zero, life thinking they bought a plain old Coke and getting pissed when they get home.

Where are the Caffeine Free, Cherry Coke, Diet Caffeine Free, Vanilla Coke, Vanilla Zero Coke and Diet Chery Coke cans?

I agree that by 2017 when they are even considering the US market, this experiment will have died it's timely death and we never see them in the US. Except in the aisle where you can currently buy glass bottles of Mexican Coke, Pepsi, Fanta etc... maybe a can or two will show up there.

First thing I thought of, truthfully, this is CocaCola putting NBA jersey t-shirts on their cans.

To your point, I don't think it will fly long.  Correct me if I'm wrong because while I personally remember it, wikipedia suggests otherwise, Coke Zero used to be a white can- Coca Cola changed it to a black can to market more to the male demo.  

This would be one thing if they were different flavours of Coke, with coloured ribbon branding or whatever, yet these are completely unique variations of their product.  Diet Coke drinkers brought up on silver cans will surely start the war against this.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Not a bad idea on principle, a unified brand identity is always good. Isn't this similar to what Pepsi has been doing for many years? All their variations have the same basic logo, but the color scheme changes.

22 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Correct me if I'm wrong because while I personally remember it, wikipedia suggests otherwise, Coke Zero used to be a white can- Coca Cola changed it to a black can to market more to the male demo.  

Good memory, yes they started out a white/silver combo....

coke%20zero_zpsfvx3bmov.png

Also, it looks like the designs for the UK are different, and I think a much better idea.

I just noticed, in the UK and on the Mexican cans, it's Coke LIGHT not DIET Coke.

And you can see on the UK Caffeine Free Coke Zero it's Coke Zero Zero and it has both the Gold associated with their Caffeine Free and Black with the Zero.

Coca-Colas-new_zpstqhsxcrj.png

15 hours ago, bkknight95 said:

The design is horrible, but the idea is not. Look at what Dr. Pepper has done. I wish I could've found a recent picture of their bottles. 

5716fa8889d64_Screenshot(38).thumb.png.2 

This is more what Coke is moving away from where the whole can is a color associated with a version of the mothership

8 minutes ago, MC Buffalo said:

Also, it looks like the designs for the UK are different, and I think a much better idea.

I just noticed, in the UK and on the Mexican cans, it's Coke LIGHT not DIET Coke.

And you can see on the UK Caffeine Free Coke Zero it's Coke Zero Zero and it has both the Gold associated with their Caffeine Free and Black with the Zero.

There is no way the will rebrand Diet Coke to Coke Light and Coke Zero to Coke Zero Sugar in the states.  Both have way too  much of an instilled fan base.  With that being said, I would love you see how those can looks would be for Cherry Coke, Cherry Coke Zero, and the Vanilla ones. 

52 minutes ago, MC Buffalo said:

I know Coke has a tradition of using the "ribbon" as part of their motif, but in a vacuum those swoops look like an inverse of the current Pepsi logo, especially the Coke Zero one.

Big red swoopy thing, narrow white swoopy thing, blue/black bottom 1/3rd swoopy thing.

2000px-Pepsi_logo_2014.svg.png

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

7 hours ago, kmccarthy27 said:

There is no way the will rebrand Diet Coke to Coke Light and Coke Zero to Coke Zero Sugar in the states.  Both have way too  much of an instilled fan base.  With that being said, I would love you see how those can looks would be for Cherry Coke, Cherry Coke Zero, and the Vanilla ones. 

Totally agree. We Americans like our Diet Coke ;)

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

This will definitely cause problems. I remember a few years ago Coca-Cola unveiled white cans for christmas. Probably one of my favorite designs they have ever done.

twin_cans_opt1-med1.jpg

But people complained because they purchased the white cans thinking they were Diet Coke, just because they were white. Inevitably the same thing will happen with the new system. I think branding wise it is an okay idea. Just executed pretty poorly for such a huge company. I always associate the swoosh with Coke and circles with Pepsi. The UK designs would have been a more appropriate direction. Just keep the logos, type and swoosh white, while the rest of the can is red, silver, green, black, etc to match each product.

Are they apparently ditching their Diet Coke brand and going with Coca-Cola Light, or is that just an international thing?

I DO like the different colored tabs, however.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I don't see where the confusion could come from. I mean the circle is only on one side of the can with the main color being on the other about 2/3 of the can. It would be hard to find a way we're you could confuse one for the other when you see what ever color it's suppose to be pretty easily from every angle I can imagine.

Archived